The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've had work set before I have even moved in for Freshers lol
Reply 2
I'm in my first week and I already need to read various chapters in different books for international relations and politics...
meh.

:frown:
Yeah for some courses its more common than others though.
Although ive never known it to be a big task, generally just things like a 500 word summary or a journal article or something like that.
Yep. I have an epic to do list. I've had so much, I can't even find time to finish unpacking!
Reply 5
no:s:
Reply 6
BellaFont
I'm in my first week and I already need to read various chapters in different books for international relations and politics...
meh.

:frown:

get used to it.
Yep, just had my first proper day at uni and Ive got a ton to do... also, there's this online thing that updates during the weekend so technically I had homework before uni even actually started :moon: looks like this is how it's gonna be from now on :mmm:
Reply 8
Always! Depends on your subject and I suppose standard of course as well. This year I had to read 20 scripts, find a project, put together a group, assign jobs and work out a written pitch/proposal for the project before we even met up for the first "welcome back, here's your timetables" meeting!

It's what you might call 'hitting the ground running'.
Reply 9
I've got nothing so far, apart from them reccomending you have a look over the books you need for a general outline, and campusmoodle has our lecture slides put up already, but nothing official. Can't do much right now though, I only got my Sociology book out of the uni shop, the rest are going to be about a week into my course as Waterstones are apparently crap at finding out where their stock is or if they even have the items in a warehouse. :frown:
(Applied Social Sciences btw)
Reply 10
Yep! I felt the same don't worry. It keeps getting worse til the Jan exams and then gets better because you learn to manage your time better and know what to expect from exams. I found it a shock though :smile:
Yep. I had a lab session report to do on my first day.
yes
Reply 13
I had to prepare a presentation in my first week, and on the Friday, present it in front of approximately 100 students and members of staff.
Reply 14
Not that I'm there yet, but I'm betting I'll have stuff set in the first week.
Liquidus Zeromus
Is it common for unis to set work in the first week of study? :afraid:

Yep.

Welcome to real life :frown:

The working world doesn't give you a week of partying when you start your new job, they're preparing you for that at uni.
Yeah but it also depends on the course and uni. We never really got any work in the 1st week or even throughout the year, the exams were big though :frown:
yeh ive got a 55 page chapter to read and a worksheet to do. oh and today is day 1 of lectures.lol
Reply 18
yea but none of its hard
Reply 19
not a big deal, just about every uni does it... just a way of forcing you to get stuck in/ adjusting to being back in education. I had a summer task, a project during freshers and I've only just started my actual lectures today but they've given us homework :rolleyes: no rest for the brilliant!

Latest

Trending

Trending