The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

She isn't going to be doing much masturbating from now on...
Yeah that happened near where I live.

Made me feel sick when I heard.
Poor girl :frown: what a horrible accident.
Reply 43
quite literally wounded
holmes221
nice compensation, that stuck two fingers up at the bad school for not ensuring health and safety

Sadly not - that's just a fine for the school. I'm pretty sure she doesn't get that money.

Pun intended? I hope not...
How awful! I feel so bad for her.
Reply 46
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/8303246.stm

that has a picture of how her hands turned out.

How the hell did the teacher not realise she'd got her hands stuck in it :lolwut:
RollerBall
You'd have 8 fingers cut off for 16 and a half grand? Are you an idiot?

Although, frankly, it sounds like the girl was trying to make a joke and half a laugh by sticking her hands in the plaster rather than making a clay mould. High price to pay though.

No lol, but on a more serious note plaster of paris is quite a strange material, Im sure some science students can shed light on how it heats up at an incredible rate like that. Cos I am completely stumped? :confused:
Reply 48
holmes221
nice compensation, that stuck two fingers up at the bad school for not ensuring health and safety

:lolwut:

Nice compensation?! No way would I lose 8 fingers for a million let alone 16,500.

And is the sticking up of two fingers comment meant to be some sort of sick joke?
Reply 49
Jo Anderson, prosecuting for the HSE, said the girl had been told by her teacher to put her hands into clay to make a mould.

She was then supposed to pour the liquid plaster into the clay mould. Instead she put her hand up to the wrist into the bucket of plaster.

It is understood the mixture began to solidify within about 10 minutes and she soon realised she could not remove her hands.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.
Reply 50
Drunk Punx
She isn't going to be doing much masturbating from now on...

This comment lacked funnies.
To be honest it never would have occurred to me that putting my hand in plaster might be that dangerous. Then again I'm probably much cooler than her so it probably wouldn't have been if I'd done it.
Reply 52
I never knew that plaster of paris was so dangerous! How awful for her (although, she's kind of stupid, because sticking your hands in plaster of paris isn't going to make a cast of them is it, it'll make an imprint of them...).

By the way the £16,500 was not compensation for her, it was a fine from a criminal conviction, which was paid by the school, not the taxpayer, because it was an independent school. The compensation she will receive will be paid by the school's insurance, who have admitted they are liable, and as such her compensation will obviously be substantially larger than £16k.
Reply 53
I fail to understand how she was so thick as to miss out the clay step and go direct to the bucketful of extremely dangerous plaster. It's still horrific and tragic, but it is mostly her own stupid fault. However, the school could have done a little more. I do realise how hard it would be to manage an Art class of around 20-30 students and notice every little thing....
Your life must be pretty ******* sheltered if you see a bucket of plaster and think "hey, that looks extremely dangerous".
Reply 55
Christ. As an artist myself... losing fingers would be the end of my world. Especially that amount.

That's so sad. Eight.

So, all they have is thumbs now or somthing?
Tbh, I had no idea plaster of paris heated up like that when it set. Maybe the girl figured she could make a good cast and then just cut the plaster off from around her hands afterwards?

Sure, maybe we know that plaster of paris is nasty stuff, but why should she? It doesn't make her an idiot, just mis-informed. Admittedly the teacher told her to make a mould with clay instead but did we always obey the teacher at school? If she wasn't told why to do something, we can't really blame her too much for deciding to approach the problem a different way.
Reply 57
serves her right for doing art, pick a real subject.
Reply 58
I've got to hand it to her, that was a pretty stupid thing to do. Although...it isn't hard to grasp what you need to do.
It's a good job I read that, I was going to take a mould of...

Latest

Trending

Trending