The Student Room Group

Tiffin boys 2023 applicants on waiting list or reserve list or any other list!

Hello
Hope to get some answers here from any one who previously applied or currently got an offer or on waiting list, or anyone who can advise.

My son is on the waiting list for Tiffin boys 2023 sixth form intake. Just going through other previous discussion here, I found that some people got emails stating that they on reserve list or top of the reserve list(not this year ). Initially I though you either get an offer or put on a waiting list or get rejection so I was please he got on the waiting list considering he is not a strong candidate. He is currently studying in average state school, where they don't really give out predicted grades but target grades they normally based on SATS results. the school does not(rarely) give grade 9 and they don't move grade easily just by performing well in one mock exam. However I did mentioned this to the school. My question is did many get emails stating they are on top of waiting list. Even though the email state he did get an offer but the email sound positive stating that they "impressed with his application/they normally every year offer places from waiting list/contact the school on results day and sounds more encouraging.
As I mentioned he is not a strong candiddate , no way near the high predicted grades mentioned on Tiffin boys forum however he is all rounder, outstanding sports person, very knowledgeable however when its to come exams he does not perform best of his ability. He would have got very good reference from school. I like to know did you or any others this year got emails stating "on reserve list".
I like the school , I think my son will have an excellent opportunity if he get an offer considering his current school have many issues. he have applied to other local grammar ( mostly the application is open because anyone can apply with their results on that day unlike Tiffin boys.
I prefer tiffin boys because just 15 min straight bus ride, I already have a son there and nephews so I am very familiar with the school. I am pleased they didn't reject him because we explain everything so this has given hope to him.
I just also like to know some mentioned here they do Business gcse however this is not on the eligible subjects, he is very good in Business hoping to achieve grade 8 or 9.
My last question someone mentioned on previous forum, Economics was overly subscribed subject and they don't have space, Economics is the only subject he is certain he wanted to do however I think they put him on the waiting list because he is not choosing any science or maths subjects which is generally over subscribed. He will be doing essay based subjects.
I will be grateful if someone can answer any of the questions.
Thanks for reading
Have you heard anything? Does anyone know whether eight grade 9s are absolutely required to make it out of the waiting list? Were those with conditional offers required to get only 8s?
Have you heard anything? My son son seven grades 9 and five grades 8 but we haven’t heard anything yet. Does anyone know whether eight grade 9s are required to make it from the waiting list?
Reply 3
Hello
I started this thread, I am replying from another account, forgot my password. We didn't apply for the place because he didn't get the necessary grades. You don't really need grade 8 or 9 for all subjects. However the demand for certain courses might be the issue you haven't heard back from them yet. My son was interested in Politics, economics, Psychology and History. But if it's Maths, Science subjects then it's usually not many places because of the demand.

Did you send your results before 4pm yesterday? I have heard many with a low combined score of 58, got offers but these were previous years.
Thank you so much for your reply!!! Is your son going to Esher College? Hope he was happy with his grades. My son wants to study humanities/classics 😊. I know that Tiffin only looks at the first best eight grades. My question was how much did previous applicants on the waiting list get to have an offer? He has 71/72 points. Also do you know when Tiffin get in touch with people on the waiting list? He sent his grades as soon as he got his results about 8.15am. yesterday but I know that the deadline was 4pm so am sure they wait for all the applications and then need some time to review… fingers crossed he hears from them today! Thanks a lot for your message 😊
Congratulations!! But presumably you had a conditional offer already you were not on the waiting list? What will you study?
Reply 6
Original post by matcha333
grades aren’t the main thing they look at - i got in yesterday with mostly 7s and 8s and one grade 9

Hello, what subjects are you doing?
I think it’s different for pupils on the waiting list. For those ONLY the grades and the subjects studied matter accordingly to the Tiffin waiting pool guidelines. They look at the first eight best grades and, if there are places available for the subjects the candidates want to study, they rank the candidates eligible. In case of equality they take those living closer to the school. That’s my understanding anyway. Has anyone from the waiting list heard back?
Reply 8
Original post by 12sunflowers
I think it’s different for pupils on the waiting list. For those ONLY the grades and the subjects studied matter accordingly to the Tiffin waiting pool guidelines. They look at the first eight best grades and, if there are places available for the subjects the candidates want to study, they rank the candidates eligible. In case of equality they take those living closer to the school. That’s my understanding anyway. Has anyone from the waiting list heard back?

hi, yes i heard back today and unfortunately didn’t get a place, I got all 8s and 9s and applied for maths, biology and chemistry
Original post by Gabbybnnt
hi, yes i heard back today and unfortunately didn’t get a place, I got all 8s and 9s and applied for maths, biology and chemistry

I’m so sorry to hear Gabbybnnt. Sadly total radio silence for us so far. Not even an acknowledgement - and of course the phone line is closed during the school holidays 🙈
I’m so sorry to hear Gabbybnnt. Sadly total radio silence for us so far. Not even an acknowledgement - and of course the phone line is closed during the school holidays 🙈

I’m sorry to hear that, have you heard back yet?
Original post by LionelMessiiii
I’m sorry to hear that, have you heard back yet?

Nope - nothing yet. But i suspect nothing will happen until Tuesday. Has anyone who was on the waiting list heard received a positive answer?
Has anyone who was on the waiting heard positively from Tiffin Sixth Form? Still nothing from our end. Not even an acknowledgement. It’s been almost a week since result day…..
Reply 13
Has anyone who was on the waiting heard positively from Tiffin Sixth Form? Still nothing from our end. Not even an acknowledgement. It’s been almost a week since result day…..

Only like 10 people got kicked out of the sixth form this year so unless you were really high in the waiting list you probably won't get a place. Induction day is on Tuesday for the offer holders so you'll probably be told today at LATEST (unless they want you joining post -induction)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending