The Student Room Group

Urgent Avice Needed!!

Im applying to medicine but I am stuck on my 5th choice. It's between Pharmacy at Robert gordon/starthclyde and Optometry at Glasgow Cally.

Which course is better pharmacy or optometry? Career prospects? Salary?

I kno that Optoms can make a fair bit of money by opening a private practice? Can pharmacists do this?

I need advice ASAP as the deadline is on thursday. Thanks
Reply 1
anyone plz??
Reply 2
You shouldn't be choosing between those two based on prospects and salary. If you are choosing medicine for this reason it might be worth taking a step back to see if you really actually want to study medicine. Its a hard course and a very hard job.

There is money in pharmacy and you will always be comfortable. But you need to think if you will be more comfortable working as a pharmacist or working as an optomotrist.

Remember, money is not everything. What is the point in hating your job when you can easlly have a job you really enjoy that also covers all your money needs.
Reply 3
Poor lad lol. Look, personally, it looks like you just want a straight answer with no preaching. You obviously understand that medicine is very competitive so you need a good fall back just in case. It IS hard to choose between courses when they are not your first choice ad you have other things to research.
Personally, they both seem well paid. Pharmacy may be more secure to be paid well at, although I don't know about how they compare on prospects. Good luck!
Reply 4
looks like from the above posts pharmacists earn more than optometrits? I know I shouldn't pick a career just on salary but it does play a part.

Don't worry, Im not choosing medicine because of moey :wink:
Reply 5
Umm I suggest pharmacy in terms of a degree, optometry must be really boring - sorry!

Also, pharmacy has more careers paths and I suggest hospital pharmacy as you like medicine.

Latest

Trending

Trending