The Student Room Group

The standard of education of american Higher secondary schools

Hi everyone,
There is one thing that has been pricking my mind for many days.i.e.
I just stepped into an engineering university after completing my higher Secondary school.There also came a girl from USA whose family recently shifted back to pakistan.
I was amazed when i studied with her bcz she knew nothing about differentiation and integration though she is from USA.
She knew nothing of the physics we were studying(i am studying University Physics from Sears,Zeemanand Young & also Physics from Resnick,Halliday and Krane).Though she has done her high school diploma with 3.9 GPA.
i knw about the cambridge system,and i know that differentiation and integration is in the A level syllabus.But wt about USA 's system?My brother is studying under this Cambridge system of education,so i know well about it.He took 14 subjects in O Levels and got straight A's!!!!!!!
But my question is:
How could this be possible that the super power country not be teaching such significant things to their higher secondary school level students,which forms a basis for university education!!!
Reply 1
A friend of mine was on high school exchange in the US and according to her, most high school exams over there are mostly multiple choice. Even in maths....

And I once told this American guy that I'm from Finland, he asked me where it is, so I said it's between Russia and Sweden and then he asked me where Russia is.

I'm not saying all Americans are stupid, but from what I have heard, the standard of education in public(i.e state) schools seems pretty bad.

Latest

Trending

Trending