The Student Room Group

do i need to take an english test?

english is my first language, and i have taken the gcse O levels exam in singapore when i was there. now, i'm in an international school in a majority non-english speaking country. do i need to take ielts/toefl to apply to ucas? what i'm essentially concerned about is, since i do not have an ielts/toefl score now, will that hinder universities decisions if they see on my application that i have not taken an english test?
Reply 1
Original post by sonja2024385
english is my first language, and i have taken the gcse O levels exam in singapore when i was there. now, i'm in an international school in a majority non-english speaking country. do i need to take ielts/toefl to apply to ucas? what i'm essentially concerned about is, since i do not have an ielts/toefl score now, will that hinder universities decisions if they see on my application that i have not taken an english test?

I think you may have to do the test. Did you do the GCSE in English? I am a home student (I'm from England) but English isn't my first language and so I thought that I would have to take the IELTS or the TOEFL test but since I did the GCSE English Language and Literature, I didn't have to (I got a 9 and an 8 respectively).
Most unis won't need you to have taken an English test at the point of considering your application, (those that do should make it clear on their webpages). If you get an offer it will confirm whether it's conditional on taking a test.
Every university will have their own English language requirement which sometimes varies by course. Here is an example for Exeter profile A. You need to check each university that you are interested in.

These tests are valid for 7 years prior to the start of the programme
Test nameRequired scoreA or AS level EnglishGrade DGCSE English Language/Cambridge GCE O level/Cambridge OverseasSchool CertificateGrade C/4IGCSE English as a First LanguageGrade CIGCSE English as a Second LanguageGrade BCambridge Pre-U Literature in English (Principal Subject)P2Botswana General Certificate of Secondary Education (BTGCSE)Grades 3-6 (credit); Grade CCambridge English: Advanced or Proficiency170 overall and no less than 169 in any other sectionCaribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC)Grade III (three)European Baccalaureate L155%European Baccalaureate L265%European Baccalaureate L365%French BaccalaureatGrade 12Baccalauréat Français International (BFI)Grade 10HKDSE English (Core)Level 4 overallIndian Standard XII English at first attempt (ISC, CBSE,Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala Boards)70%Indian Standard XII English at first attempt (West Bengal Board)60%International Baccalaureate English as a First Language Standard LevelGrade 4International Baccalaureate English as a First Language Higher LevelGrade 4Irish Leaving CertificateS5Kenya Certificate of Secondary EducationGrade C (4)Malaysian SPM English (1119/O level paper only) (Before 2021)Grade CMalaysian SPM CEFR- aligned English language examination (After Year 2021) B2 overall with B2 in all components Norwegian Vitnemal - videregaende opplaeringOverall score of 4NCUK's EAP (English for Academic Purposes)B overall and no less than D in any sectionOntario Secondary School Certificate75%Canada Year 12 Secondary School Certificate / High School Diploma(except Quebec)Grade C (75%)Singapore-Cambridge O level EnglishGrade CSingapore Integrated Programme Secondary 4 English Language/Language ArtsGrade CSouth African National Senior Certificate/South AfricanMatriculation CertificateGrade 4Trinity ISE III exams (SELT variant only)Merit in writing section and pass in all other sectionsUganda National Examinations Board Certificate of Education (UCE)Grades 3-6 (credit); Grade CUSA High School Graduation DiplomaGrade C (75%)Zimbabwe General Certificate of Education O level EnglishGrade CZimbabwe General Certificate of Education Advanced level English(ZIMSEC)Grade D
Reply 4
Original post by vnayak
I think you may have to do the test. Did you do the GCSE in English? I am a home student (I'm from England) but English isn't my first language and so I thought that I would have to take the IELTS or the TOEFL test but since I did the GCSE English Language and Literature, I didn't have to (I got a 9 and an 8 respectively).

thank you for your reply! yes i took the gcse in english, and i scored an A2 in it. (A1 being the highest possible score)
Reply 5
Original post by sonja2024385

You'd need to check the requirements of the university and the course that you're applying to.

You might find that if you've done most of your secondary education in an English-speaking country and been taught and examined in English (as in, all subjects -- not just English language) than that on its own might satisfy the language requirements.

For example, see Bristol's page here: https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/language-requirements/ which says, inter alia, "If you are from, or have studied in, an English-speaking country, you may not need to provide additional evidence of your English language ability." and "You do not need to have reached the required level before you apply."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending