The Student Room Group

Teaching in America with a PGCE.

I am interested in teaching to America, as I plan on moving there. I'm in my first year of getting a philosophy and psychology degree, but was wanting to get a PGCE in primary or secondary education, or maybe even Psychology if I did a Master's after.

Would I have to requalify if I took the Master's then PGCE in Psychology route, or the PGCE in primary/secondary education? Which one is more necessary there?

The state I'm looking at is TN, to be specific. I have certain commitments there.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Bump.
Reply 2
Original post by humbugsftw
I am interested in teaching to America, as I plan on moving there. I'm in my first year of getting a philosophy and psychology degree, but was wanting to get a PGCE in primary or secondary education, or maybe even Psychology if I did a Master's after.

Would I have to requalify if I took the Master's then PGCE in Psychology route, or the PGCE in primary/secondary education? Which one is more necessary there?

The state I'm looking at is TN, to be specific. I have certain commitments there.

Thanks in advance.

I think the toughest thing for you is not going to be your qualifications, but rather the immigration process. To teach in TN you need to have a social security number. But here is a link that should be helpful to you:

http://www.tn.gov/education/lic/foreign.shtml

Something to consider is doing a graduate degree at Vanderbilt (maybe even law?) and get your immigration stuff all sorted out. There's only 3 law schools in tenn. Vanderbilt, UT-Knoxville, and Memphis. Memphis has a part-time JD.

Are you looking at teaching at a public school or private school? I could make a few recommendations for your target schools for each, as I have an aunt that worked as a social worker in Nashville...plus I know quite a few kids who go to high school in Tenn.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by adam0311
I think the toughest thing for you is not going to be your qualifications, but rather the immigration process. To teach in TN you need to have a social security number. But here is a link that should be helpful to you:

http://www.tn.gov/education/lic/foreign.shtml

Something to consider is doing a graduate degree at Vanderbilt and get your immigration stuff all sorted out.

Are you looking at teaching at a public school or private school? I could make a few recommendations for your target schools for each, as I have an aunt that worked as a social worker in Nashville...plus I know quite a few kids who go to high school in Tenn.

To be honest, I haven't actually considered that. I'm very inclined to say state school, but I'm aware it's harder to teach in a state school than private schools due to certain bureaucratic procedure (If my research proved correct :biggrin:)

I tried looking at that, but it's incredibly expensive. Plus not very sure on which one to pick for what I want to do, quite frankly. And it's already expensive, what with the evaluation and the test fees and all that.

Nashville would be fantastic, I was hoping to essentially end up there. =]
I have long term commitments and have been wanting to move to America for a long time, so was just wondering on the difficulty of teaching with a teaching postgraduate degree from outside the USA.

Cheers. =]
Reply 4
To be honest, I haven't actually considered that. I'm very inclined to say state school, but I'm aware it's harder to teach in a state school than private schools due to certain bureaucratic procedure (If my research proved correct :biggrin:)

I tried looking at that, but it's incredibly expensive. Plus not very sure on which one to pick for what I want to do, quite frankly. And it's already expensive, what with the evaluation and the test fees and all that.

Nashville would be fantastic, I was hoping to essentially end up there. =]
I have long term commitments and have been wanting to move to America for a long time, so was just wondering on the difficulty of teaching with a teaching postgraduate degree from outside the USA.

Cheers. =]

What's wrong with an MA in education from an American uni? Any reason you are fixated on obtaining a teaching degree from the UK?
Reply 5
What's wrong with an MA in education from an American uni? Any reason you are fixated on obtaining a teaching degree from the UK?

Oh no, didn't mean it like that >.<

More that I was looking at them, but there are so many MA's in Education, and branches and sub branches and whatnot. Just got a little bit confused as to which one I should pick when the time comes. Of course, getting an MA in education there will be more specific to the curriculum there.

And the cost is quite daunting too. But I definitely am looking into that, just need to know which one to look for, if that makes sense.
Reply 6
Oh no, didn't mean it like that >.<

More that I was looking at them, but there are so many MA's in Education, and branches and sub branches and whatnot. Just got a little bit confused as to which one I should pick when the time comes. Of course, getting an MA in education there will be more specific to the curriculum there.

And the cost is quite daunting too. But I definitely am looking into that, just need to know which one to look for, if that makes sense.

Well Vandy has a teaching degree, but I'd imagine that would be quite pricey.

Tenn State which is in Nashville also has teaching degrees, would cost around 10k a year with no scholarships/aid.
Reply 7
Well Vandy has a teaching degree, but I'd imagine that would be quite pricey.

Tenn State which is in Nashville also has teaching degrees, would cost around 10k a year with no scholarships/aid.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/academics/disciplines/graduate.php?id=Education

So from this list, if I went ahead and got a MA in elementary education, I'd be eligible to get a teaching license to teach at an elementary education level? (Stupid question, I'm aware)
If you have a Bachelors in Education you can usually teach in this country. If you have a Bachelors in some other subject you can also usually go through alternative certification to then get certified to teach. Some states require that you get your Masters in Education within a certain number of years teaching and others do not.

I don't know how the immigration affects it, though.

As far as tuition here, it varies a lot, especially for out-of-state students.

My college is going to be about $6,000 a year for me. Most charge more for out-of-state students.

Of course you could get an online degree, like through University of Phoenix, but they're pretty expensive.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks for the help :smile:

Thanks in advance.

I am in the states now. They do not understand the PGCE, and I am currently trying to explain the credentials. I would do the Masters and a Master in education. You will still have to take the praxis exams in the US.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending