The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Rainbow-Dream
What's wrong with UCL, just out of interest?
I don't go there, but curious still. :smile:

It is a very good university, for the majority of subjects. However they don't really have much in terms if a maths department, and it doesn't seem as if enough money is being spent on mathematics to warrant its inflated reputation in the subject due to it being a top London uni. I suppose it is a weak maths department being pulled up by the surrounding (much stronger) departments.

EDIT: They still are a pretty good university, just not as good as some might have you believe.
Reply 41
my school wont let me get out of it (U)
Reply 42
We had to pay £1 to enter!

Our college is plenty rich too, just unbelievably tight. They chased me for 50p before! (Not literally unfortunately.)
Reply 43
luuucyx
my school wont let me get out of it (U)

here's a challenge then, try and get the lowest score possible
Reply 44
refref
here's a challenge then, try and get the lowest score possible

yeaah im so tempted to like, mark the answer sheet to make faces and patterns and stuff
Reply 45
Marsha2112
:O I am getting those UKMT booklets out...
What mark do you have tto get to qualify for that?

Around 95 out of 125 :smile: . If you get 18 questions correct and a couple wrong, you'll probably qualify ^_^ .
Reply 46
luuucyx
yeaah im so tempted to like, mark the answer sheet to make faces and patterns and stuff

Nah, getting 0 is a challenge in itself. You have (3/4)^25 chance of this I think if you guess randomly(my maths is probably wrong :smile: )
SirMasterKey
I've been put in for this! Should be interesting.

Question if they take 4 marks off from when you guess, do they not take away maks for no guess then?

Nahh they add 4/5 for correct answers, -1 for incorrect and nothing for leaving it. So it's "encouraging" you not to guess - but if you can eliminate 2 answers the probability already makes it worth you guessing.
Reply 48
refref
Nah, getting 0 is a challenge in itself. You have (3/4)^25 chance of this I think if you guess randomly(my maths is probably wrong :smile: )

(4/5)^25, there are 5 choices :smile:
Reply 49
tiny hobbit
Mid to high eighties (it varies from year to year).

That's so low! I thought it was around 100 (which is still pretty straightforward if you've at least done a past paper or two). Wow, I'm almost guaranteed a place at UCL! (For maths, at UCL...)
Reply 50
Adam92
(4/5)^25, there are 5 choices :smile:

:cool:
Reply 51
rupertj
That's so low! I thought it was around 100 (which is still pretty straightforward if you've at least done a past paper or two). Wow, I'm almost guaranteed a place at UCL! (For maths, at UCL...)

Thats the amount you need to get into the intermediate olympiad, for the senoir challenge i think you only needed to get 87 last year to get through to the next round. I totally messed up the intermediate olympiad last time so i'm hoping i can get through to the round after that this time :smile:.
Reply 52
does anyone have past paper and solution?
Reply 53
does anyone have past paper and solution?:smile:
Last year's paper and solutions are here:

http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/
Reply 55
I've got loads but they're paper copies so that probs won't help you :rolleyes:
Reply 56
Yeh, my maths teacher had a box full of them :smile:
I bought this past paper booklet with solutions from the link provided above for about two or three pounds inc postage with paypal. In addition to the one on the website, it has given me 5 past papers all with full solutions.
Yes I have a lot of paper copies as well, but that's not going to help the OP between now and next Thursday with a dodgy/non-existent post service.
Reply 59
i saw this question on an SMC past paper.hoping one of you 'geniuses' can tell me how its done.

which one of the following is a prime.

a.1000^2+111^2 b.555^2+666^2 c.2000^2-999^2 d.1001^2+1002^2 e.1001^2+1003^2

Latest

Trending

Trending