The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

English Law (LLB) at Dundee

Hi, basically I am thinking of doing English Law at Dundee, it is ranked well in the Sunday Times and is quite easy to get into (BBB). I am just worried that being so easy there has to be a catch.

So I was wondering three things.

1. How prestidges is the university?
2. How good is the quality of teaching?
3. What sort of jobs have people who have studied law at Dundee gone into and how much do they get paid?

Thanks!!
Reply 1
1. In regards English law, Christ only knows really - in Scotland, it's recognised as one of the four (maybe five if you include Strathclyde, which is now well-established) "traditional" law schools. There are quite a few Northern Irish people study law there - so I suspect it's probably well known in Ulster, but in terms of England - realistically, the intake is so small that it might be a bit off the radar.

2. Well, without direct points of comparison, teaching for the Scots Law stream seems to be as good as any law school in Scotland - the traditional ones are broadly the same really, although from what I've heard Dundee is better organised than most. English law is really a bit harder to compare.

3. Well, I met Lord Turnbull once, and he's a Senator of the College of Justice (High Court judge in Scotland)... looking it up, Dundee has produced Scotland's most famous (and highest paid) QC in Donald Findlay and the last Advocate-General. If you're looking for recent/more mainstream/English law career paths, I'm afraid I can't help you there.
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
From what I've heard the university is fairly good, although the city is another thing :awesome:
Reply 3
I'd recommend doing English Law at an English uni.
Reply 4
Jingers
I'd recommend doing English Law at an English uni.

Any reason?
Reply 5
Bump
Reply 6
adamrules247
Hi, basically I am thinking of doing English Law at Dundee, it is ranked well in the Sunday Times and is quite easy to get into (BBB). I am just worried that being so easy there has to be a catch.

So I was wondering three things.

1. How prestidges is the university?
2. How good is the quality of teaching?
3. What sort of jobs have people who have studied law at Dundee gone into and how much do they get paid?

Thanks!!

I've applied to Dundee to do a dual qualifying degree in English and Scottish law! It's my insurance as it is relatively easy to get into compared to other prestigious law schools, and as you say it is fairly high in all the League tables!

For me, the downside is the fact that it's a four year course and that ideally I'd want to get cracking with my career, also Dundee itself isn't (in my opinion) a particularly nice area, but socially, it seems to be a good place nonetheless! I wouldn't rule it out altogether as it's grades make it a good insurance in my opinion! Good luck! x
Reply 7
helz_91
I've applied to Dundee to do a dual qualifying degree in English and Scottish law! It's my insurance as it is relatively easy to get into compared to other prestigious law schools, and as you say it is fairly high in all the League tables!

For me, the downside is the fact that it's a four year course and that ideally I'd want to get cracking with my career, also Dundee itself isn't (in my opinion) a particularly nice area, but socially, it seems to be a good place nonetheless! I wouldn't rule it out altogether as it's grades make it a good insurance in my opinion! Good luck! x

Nice one cheers.
Reply 8
hi there it's my insurance too though i got a slightly higher offer ABB because of a retake. other unis i applied to are AAA though so it's quite a nice insurance. I applied for law with french.

Latest

Trending

Trending