The Student Room Group

Bad driving instructors

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I have an absolutely awful driving instructor and am now looking at changing. I've been learning with him for 10 months now, and have only done two of the maneuvers. He must've spent at least 10 lessons doing turn in the road, only once per hour long lesson. He also cancells lessons with stupidly short notice (30 mins once!) despite having a policy that students give him 24 hours notice. He's also treated me like an absolute idiot in the past, notably in my first lesson, when after moving about 3 yards and making one turn he failed to comprehend why I wasn't a master at steering.
Original post by CountryGirl93
Which lane which lane WHICH LANE?" personality :wink:.

Hahaa, this made me laugh! Sounds exactly like me :tongue:
I had an awful driving instructor.

I was with him for nearly 20 lessons before I decided to quit driving due to his bad instructing damaging my confidence.

My instructor used to drive me too and from my house and too and from my destination every single week. Even when I was clearly capable of driving their myself.

I used to have a lesson every Friday with him but it was more or less once every two weeks as he used to cancel due to some "unfortunate" mishap i.e not dignified a child minder, flat tires etc.

He turned up late and arrived back early, so I was paying for an Hour but only got about 50 minutes of a lesson. I was only behind the wheel for about 30-40 minutes.

On several occasions he simply missed my lesson all together with no text to say he would be unable to attend.

I was 16 weeks in until I started to join main roads but I still hadn't started any manoeuvres. He mentioned I would start one next week but their never was. He also never wrote down progress I was making in the lesson.

He taught me how to drive all wrong. I was using Clutch then Brake not Brake then Clutch. My Steering was off. My Road Position was terrible. I stalled frequently because he never told me to bring the Clutch up and press the Gas at the same time.

He didn't instruct me in situations then ridiculed me why I never acted correctly. I almost crashed into other vehicles as he forgot to tell me instructions and would just turn the wheel or he'd sit their blank.

Someone who had 60 hours was at the same position as me (no road awareness, no manoeuvres, had very basic skills.) And he also never mentioned of people passing their test with him.

Worst. Instructor. Ever!!!

I'd say I wasn't the problem here either as I moved to a new instructor several months later and within 10 hours I had started all 4 manoeuvres and any bad habits I carried over from my old instructor were also tamed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 83
I shouted at a guy who I was doing a days trial with for an intensive course. He looked shocked as if nobody did that. I said "it's my ****ing money you prick and you're not making things easier! now do your ****ing job!" I got a better instructor and passed...
My driving instructor was amazing.

However, the other day I was following a driving instructor + learner home for 12 miles, they were speeding the whole way.....
I wasn't impressed by that. Yeah ok loads of people speed, but a driving instructor actually allowing the pupil to speed?!
Original post by Gummibaerchen
My driving instructor was amazing.

However, the other day I was following a driving instructor + learner home for 12 miles, they were speeding the whole way.....
I wasn't impressed by that. Yeah ok loads of people speed, but a driving instructor actually allowing the pupil to speed?!

That is ridiculous, my instructor gets really picky even if I am over the limit for like 2 seconds and by about 2 mph and that's the way it should be I think :eek:
My first driving instructor was awful, she made me drive in third gear for weeks, and then she was like a loan shark when it came to paying up. Only after did I discover one of friends also had her and thought she was awful (the car also broke down on numerous occasions). My second instructor was great, he turned up on time, was patient and funny, I can't say I have ever heard any complaints about him. He even gives his students a nice pen when they pass. :biggrin: Another of my friends is thinking of learning to drive so I will suggest him to her.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Coffeegirl
That is ridiculous, my instructor gets really picky even if I am over the limit for like 2 seconds and by about 2 mph and that's the way it should be I think :eek:

My thoughts exactly. My driver instructor would tell me off as soon as I reached 1mph above!
Reply 88
Had an awful driving instructor from the AA, turned up to lessons late constantly, cancelled last minute, took the wheel off me in lessons (although I wasn't close to cars), always overreacted etc.
I took 2 tests and failed them both with him, after my second one I booked the next driving test straight away and also 4 hours of lessons off the website, text him numerous times asking when I could have the lessons, received no reply and he ignored phone calls from me. In the end I had to have a completely new instructor for these 4 hours due to my other one ignoring me, had to completely adjust to a new car and also found out my old one hadn't been teaching me eco-friendly ways, had my driving test and passed straight away after the 4 hours. I can't stress enough, if you are unhappy with your driving instructor, change straight away, best thing I ever did.
Reply 89
Original post by VtecMB3
Oh, and he also used to let me drive 50mph in 30mph roads lol, and he used to hate cylists, so used to let me race by em fast whilst overtaking, was so much fun. Best lesson i had with him was when we stopped after traffic lights on way home, had music and shades on. A mercedes CL63 AMG pulls up on the side at the lights, i start revving at the guy lol. Instructor was just laughing and laughing, when the lights hit green, i wheelspinned the car LOL and started racing him, i was beating him for about 5 seconds, then he zooomed past me, felt a bit shameful at that moment lol :/

So much fun i had with him, he's a legend! :smile:

No he isn't. Not at all. He's a prick.

You don't race past cyclists. What if they wobble? What if they have to avoid a pothole? You will (and it's not a might, you WILL) end up killing somebody. Have you ever had a car fly past you at 60mph a foot from your elbow? I have - it's terrifying. New bibshorts please!

You LEGALLY have to give as much room as you would overtaking a car + wobble room. You are the reason cyclists like me wear helmet cams now.

Tosser.

I only had 1 instructor, loved his teaching style - he was funny and patient and put up with my constant effing and blinding at myself/other people. Passed my theory/practical first time in 27 hours. I sometimes book the odd hour with him just go for a drive - as long as I pay him he doesn't mind and I get to pick the destination.

Also, I know somebody who was sacked by their instructor. Not the other way around!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 90
My driving instructor was brilliant. Good at his job and a sound guy. He was only £24 as well.
Reply 91
Is it worth learning with a company such as RED, or getting a private instructor?
Reply 92
Well I've had 3 hours of driving lessons so far and my experience with this instructor has been awful. He got ridiculously impatient and exasperated throughout my lessons, even when I stalled on my first lesson (never been behind the wheel before ever) and laughed in a very sarcastically if I did stuff wrong, grabbed the wheel un-necessarily when I had control over the steering and there was no need. He'd be like "Ok ease off the clutch" and so I would and then he'd be like "NO! don't bring the clutch up it needs to go down, more gas..no no no BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE! ...why are you braking?!" all within about 10 seconds! and I had pretty much mastered the creeping thing at a junction and clutch control, he just completely confused me and made me feel useless. The final straw came today when he hit the roof because I slightly bumped the curb after a turn because I was avoiding a cyclist who shot out of nowhere "NO NO NO you're being over-cautious, missing the curb is you priority!" and then made me get out and drove me home 10 minutes early!! I could understand if I was steering all over the place and I wasn't making progress, but it was like he was trying to confuse me to hinder progress. Never got over 15mph or out of 2nd gear after 3 hours, let alone a main road or reverse :/ ...got all nicey-nicey when I was about to pay up though! :rolleyes:

Needless to say I told him I didn't wish to book any more lessons with him and put a complaint in. After reading this thread I hope there are some decent instructors out there! :s-smilie:
Reply 93
My driving instructor used to finish my lessons 10 minutes early, and ignore me when i made conversation. Obviously he couldn't stand me....tosspot.
Reply 94
Original post by geztival
Well I've had 3 hours of driving lessons so far and my experience with this instructor has been awful. He got ridiculously impatient and exasperated throughout my lessons, even when I stalled on my first lesson (never been behind the wheel before ever) and laughed in a very sarcastically if I did stuff wrong, grabbed the wheel un-necessarily when I had control over the steering and there was no need. He'd be like "Ok ease off the clutch" and so I would and then he'd be like "NO! don't bring the clutch up it needs to go down, more gas..no no no BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE! ...why are you braking?!" all within about 10 seconds! and I had pretty much mastered the creeping thing at a junction and clutch control, he just completely confused me and made me feel useless. The final straw came today when he hit the roof because I slightly bumped the curb after a turn because I was avoiding a cyclist who shot out of nowhere "NO NO NO you're being over-cautious, missing the curb is you priority!" and then made me get out and drove me home 10 minutes early!! I could understand if I was steering all over the place and I wasn't making progress, but it was like he was trying to confuse me to hinder progress. Never got over 15mph or out of 2nd gear after 3 hours, let alone a main road or reverse :/ ...got all nicey-nicey when I was about to pay up though! :rolleyes:

Needless to say I told him I didn't wish to book any more lessons with him and put a complaint in. After reading this thread I hope there are some decent instructors out there! :s-smilie:

I'd rep you but I can't. Good for you for quitting him. He still acts like that because people are to chicken to find a different instructor. Try and give him a bad review, that'll do bad for him.
Reply 95
Original post by rohannnnn
Had an awful driving instructor from the AA, turned up to lessons late constantly, cancelled last minute, took the wheel off me in lessons (although I wasn't close to cars), always overreacted etc.
I took 2 tests and failed them both with him, after my second one I booked the next driving test straight away and also 4 hours of lessons off the website, text him numerous times asking when I could have the lessons, received no reply and he ignored phone calls from me. In the end I had to have a completely new instructor for these 4 hours due to my other one ignoring me, had to completely adjust to a new car and also found out my old one hadn't been teaching me eco-friendly ways, had my driving test and passed straight away after the 4 hours. I can't stress enough, if you are unhappy with your driving instructor, change straight away, best thing I ever did.

Hello Rohannnnn, this is very concerning and we would really like to look into this for you. Please email the details to [email protected] including reference FOR21473. We look forward to hearing from you. Regards The AA
Reply 96
it happened to me too but you just have to keep looking until you find the right instructor.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by spaztasticmania
When I was about ten my dad tried to teach me to drive in his Discovery... Then he tried to teach me to do racing starts and fool around on a skid pan :facepalm2:

Never get your dad to teach you to drive :no:

My mum taught me the very basics so I knew how to move before I got an instructor so we didn't waste money. Both my parents were fine though a little anxious in the car.
My first instructor was really impatient with me and often said things like "I'm going to give up on you" when I got turn in the road wrong. Lmao. Needless to say, I stopped my lessons for a while then got another instructor who was AMAZING! Sad thing is, my first instructor was recommended by a family friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ScarlettFierce
My first instructor was really impatient with me and often said things like "I'm going to give up on you" when I got turn in the road wrong. Lmao. Needless to say, I stopped my lessons for a while then got another instructor who was AMAZING! Sad thing is, my first instructor was recommended by a family friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

just goes to show that recommendations don't always work :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending