The Student Room Group

Give up on driving

Hi everyone, I’m mentally exhausted because of my mistakes I keep doing when driving. Since I was a little kid I was driving about the cars, it was my only passion. I couldn’t wait to grow up to get my driving license and make my dream a reality. But now… I thought I will do well, but now I have 40 hours of driving done and keep doing major mistakes in traffic. Every lesson I do it, there’s been days when I drive quite well, but tomorrow I felt like I want to give up. I messed up with the kerb, I messed up with the roundabouts, I messed up with the clutch and the speed too low the whole lesson. (Not first time when happen sometimes like that)I kept stalling and panicking and let my instructor restart the car. I feel so bad as I made my instructor stressed as well. My driving test is coming in less than two weeks and I got only 3 lessons of two hours left. I commute a long distance to work and I have to wake up at 4am so that’s more why I need the license asap. I’m crying in this moment, I feel like I want to give up. I’m crying in this moment. I feel ashamed when I will meet my instructor again on Thursday. My family says I deserve what happens to me because I’m too stupid. Should I give up, it’s driving really not for me? I’m mentally down. :frown:
Thank you.
Original post by HellenFF
Hi everyone, I’m mentally exhausted because of my mistakes I keep doing when driving. Since I was a little kid I was driving about the cars, it was my only passion. I couldn’t wait to grow up to get my driving license and make my dream a reality. But now… I thought I will do well, but now I have 40 hours of driving done and keep doing major mistakes in traffic. Every lesson I do it, there’s been days when I drive quite well, but tomorrow I felt like I want to give up. I messed up with the kerb, I messed up with the roundabouts, I messed up with the clutch and the speed too low the whole lesson. (Not first time when happen sometimes like that)I kept stalling and panicking and let my instructor restart the car. I feel so bad as I made my instructor stressed as well. My driving test is coming in less than two weeks and I got only 3 lessons of two hours left. I commute a long distance to work and I have to wake up at 4am so that’s more why I need the license asap. I’m crying in this moment, I feel like I want to give up. I’m crying in this moment. I feel ashamed when I will meet my instructor again on Thursday. My family says I deserve what happens to me because I’m too stupid. Should I give up, it’s driving really not for me? I’m mentally down. :frown:
Thank you.

As someone with quite a bit of experience, I can honestly say...you need to calm the **** down.

If you haven't figured it out, your driving performance is partly influenced by your state of mind. The more stessed/emotional you are, the less you are able to concentrate. Driving is one of them skills where you need to calibrate on more than one thing, so when your mind is in fight or flight mode, you develop tunnel vision.

An emotional or distracted driver is a very bad driver. If you can't concentrate, don't drive.

I am not saying that if you relax and become calm that you will become the perfect driver, but you should see a remarkable improvement when you do.

If you fail your driving test, you can do another one. It's not the end of the world. Just focus on driving well.

If you keep making the same mistake with the same manoeuvre, then you speak to your instructor about it.

If you're making all sorts of mistakes, then it's likely your state of mind.

When you're in the car, all the matters are how you control the car and what is happening on the road. It doesn't matter what people are thinking about you, it doesn't matter if you made a wrong turn, it doesn't even matter what you ate yesterday.
Your first and only priority is being able to drive safely; that's what the examiners would be marking you on, not what other people will be thinking of you.
(edited 12 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending