The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

D of E was fun :yep: That's why I did it.
i did my silver duribg the summer. god it was the worst 3 days of my life... ever. (i say 3 days but it would have been 4 if we didnt come home a during the 3rd day night because there was a fricking hurricaine!... we were doing it in wales and tents were practically on their side because of the wind. eventually the teachers decided it was to dangerous as there was no shelter if someones tent did get destroyed so we came home.) also teachers who have done it for 30 years+ said it was the worst weather ever. to make things worse i forgot my waterproofs and it rained constantly for all the days.

sorry for the rant, just needed to get it out

to answer your question i did it because i thought it might look good on my cv, not because i might die, although i did start to imagine myself in a few scenarios where i might actually need my first aid.

edit: just to add that im 16 and only 38kg, my bag weighed 17kg. not easy at all! dont do it!
Reply 62
I loved my D of E experience :smile:
warrenpenalver
you seriously call doing D of E a "risk of death"??:lol: :stupid: You must lead a sheltered life!!!

I must be one of the rare few who actually enjoyed the outdoor bits of it!!

Nope I did :smile:
Reply 64
**** no.
samir1106
edit: just to add that im 16 and only 38kg, my bag weighed 17kg. not easy at all! dont do it!

Both of those facts are alarming. I'm 16 and like 60kg, and my bag was only about 12-13kg on the walk!! Still I found it quite heavy.

Just like you, I'm only doing it for the UCAS credits. Because way more people are getting all As in their exams at the moment, you need the rest of your UCAS besides grades to be really strong to get into a good university.
S_123
Omg? Did the teachers find out?
I think a group went and bought (or stole) alchohol on their D of E. To be honest, stealing is too much trouble; I just wanted to sleep :p:

Well, he got away with it in the sense that the teacher didn't catch him there and then, but he got excluded for dealing the stuff a few months later and I think they found out then.
I did it because it sounded fun and lots of friends were doing it. I heard a rumour from my old school that in one year of 150 students everyone apart from 6 students had signed up for bronze.
Reply 68
tldr22
The main reason people do this **** thing is to put it on thier statements. If I were looking at statements and they said DoE, i'd be like pff, just for the statement.

That's why I didnt do it, cause it's phony **** to make yourself look good like volunteering for statement rather than out of compassion/duty etc

A rather broad generalisation, don't you say? That's certainly not why I did it. I loved the outdoors, walking, camping and team things. So it seemed the perfect thing to do?

Plus the month we spent in New Zealand was mega lols. Bungee jumping, zorbing, caving, hydrojet, orienteering, walking parts of Mount Doom (or at least the mountain it was based on :smile:)...The list goes on... (Plus Auckland was awesome.)
Reply 69
To put on my personal statement.
Reply 70
i did bronze, starting silver.

i did it for the adventure, the whole 'you're on ur own in the wilderness, no parents, no teachers, just u and ur friends'.

i love the outdoors thats another reason

we got chased by cows as well, bt they were on the other side of the fence (we hadn't realised). we also got to our campsite well ahead of all the other groups and had got the best camping ground. we also were up and setting off before anyone else woz up.

D of E woz the most funn i hav eva had, everyone shud do it!!

xx
luuucyx
its definitely not why i did it, its one of the last legal forms of torture if you ask me
why did you guys do it?
we got chased by cows..

Who said that? :giggle:

You'd only die if you were incredibly stupid... or if the weather takes a turn for the worse. Being stranded in the middle of the moors at 4pm with brutal wind and rain with heavy fog sounds about right. :cute: First night too... don't know how I kept on going. :tongue:

I did it because of the recognition i'd get. :erm: Not sure of any other reason why. If you liked the countryside you could just take a trip up there for free.
tldr22
The main reason people do this **** thing is to put it on thier statements. If I were looking at statements and they said DoE, i'd be like pff, just for the statement.

That's why I didnt do it, cause it's phony **** to make yourself look good like volunteering for statement rather than out of compassion/duty etc

:facepalm2: So when I decided to do Bronze and Silver in Years 9 and 10, I was doing it to put on my personal statement, even though at that point I didn't actually know what a personal statement was, nor even what UCAS was? Right....
Most dangerous part of Bronze practice expedition was climbing a barbed wire fence, realising we were in the wrong place then having to climb back over it again. Expedition itself we nearly got kicked off for walking on an A road. Silver was much nicer as we kayaked it but I was ill on the morning of the second day which sucked majorly. Made it through, though.
Reply 74
i did because i already did a lot of walking and hiking anyway so got me a couple free trips out of it. Thinking about it everything that i needed to do for silver and gold i was already doing anyway
Reply 75
I did my Gold award on the IOM..had a great time, yes it was bloody hardwork sometimes and my rucksack seemed get heavier as the week went by, but it we also had a heatwave and the last day was spent walking along the beach and sandunes.

My ronze was horrible though..mainly because of the people who i was with..
Reply 76
I did it because it meant missing school. It was fun, the high point being one of the members in our group trying to ride a cow across the field.
Reply 77
Although I didn't die on D-of-E, on my Silver practice expedition I slipped on a rock. Teacher was just behind and he told me that I had sprained my ankle and to just carry on walking. Seeing as he's a Mountain Rescue guy I believed him.
It took me 2 hours to get off the mountain where my mum picked me up, teacher still said I'd just sprained it and was wimping out but I went home anyway via Casualty.
Turned out that I'd gone straight through my fibula and cracked my tibia - that was fun. Luckily didn't have to go to theatre but was in a cast for a good few weeks.
The year after I did the Silver again and finished it intact! Decided not to do Gold though, I value my legs too much now!!
Reply 78
Smashing
A rather broad generalisation, don't you say? That's certainly not why I did it. I loved the outdoors, walking, camping and team things. So it seemed the perfect thing to do?

Plus the month we spent in New Zealand was mega lols. Bungee jumping, zorbing, caving, hydrojet, orienteering, walking parts of Mount Doom (or at least the mountain it was based on :smile:)...The list goes on... (Plus Auckland was awesome.)

LIAR
Reply 79
Revolution is my Name
:facepalm2: So when I decided to do Bronze and Silver in Years 9 and 10, I was doing it to put on my personal statement, even though at that point I didn't actually know what a personal statement was, nor even what UCAS was? Right....

You knew alright, dont kid yourself

Latest

Trending

Trending