The Student Room Group

Ask Powerlifter - Gents and gals of all goals welcome

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Thoughts on HST?
can you change from ecto to endo/meso over a couple of years? Or will someone who is ecto be destined to be skinny if they reduce their cal intake once they get a bit fat.
Reply 182
I'm looking to buy a belt for my heavy set (final set) on squat, deadlift and (BO) row...

What should i look for in a good weightlifting belt and can you recommend me any?

Cheers in advance :smile:
Reply 183
Marc908
I'm looking to buy a belt for my heavy set (final set) on squat, deadlift and (BO) row...

What should i look for in a good weightlifting belt and can you recommend me any?

Cheers in advance :smile:

If you look in the TSR muscle building soc chat on page 25 (i think) theres a discussion and a few links
Do you recommend posterior chain exercises like pull throughs and GHRs be performed?
Reply 185
Can you fluke a lift?

Like could someone set a WR that was in reality a fluke that they'll never come close to matching again.
Reply 186
Jeppaloth
Can you fluke a lift?

Like could someone set a WR that was in reality a fluke that they'll never come close to matching again.

My personal experience constantly keeps confirming that strength varies a lot in between workouts. Sometimes I can easily handle a certain weight, other times I can't even get anything close to it.

My question for Powerlifter:
What do you think of incorporating Olympic lifts (specifically the clean and jerk) into a predominantly hypertrophy routine?
thegreatest
ok thanks alot! btw what weight division did you box at?

Middleweight

redbuthotter
can you change from ecto to endo/meso over a couple of years? Or will someone who is ecto be destined to be skinny if they reduce their cal intake once they get a bit fat.

No, it is your genetics its like saying can you spontaneously grow taller after you have finished growing.

Smack
Do you recommend posterior chain exercises like pull throughs and GHRs be performed?

Yes

Jeppaloth
Can you fluke a lift?

No chance

teriaki
My question for Powerlifter:
What do you think of incorporating Olympic lifts (specifically the clean and jerk) into a predominantly hypertrophy routine?

Pretty pointless, the clean would help develop deadlift and associated gains and outer quad sweep, but there are better things you could do for this.

GQ.
Thoughts on HST?

Not my thing, but each to their own
Reply 188
Strange question...but are there any exercises that can steady you for when you're shooting (standing up with a rifle)? You were in the army or something so you might know :p:
what's the circumfrence of your wrist? that is to powerlifter.
Reply 190
Powerlifter

Middleweight

Got any pics of you at that weight? Would be interesting to see the difference.
Also I've got an Ivanko hand gripper, what kind of routine is best for one of those??? sets, reps and how many times per week! Aiming for generally bigger hands/forearms and better grip.
Reply 192
Powerlifter

No, it is your genetics its like saying can you spontaneously grow taller after you have finished growing.

To what extent is it really genetic, though? Most descriptions I've read classify words like "endomorph" simply to be descriptions of body shape, i.e. a skinny guy who trains and gets swole has gone from being ecto to mesomorph. Of course genetics will play a part in someone's natural body shape, but it seems to be that the major determinants of body type, as the main terms are commonly used, are nutrition and lifestyle. I think in practice "ectomorph" just means skinny and places a false implication on this being due to genetics.
Reply 193
teriaki
My personal experience constantly keeps confirming that strength varies a lot in between workouts. Sometimes I can easily handle a certain weight, other times I can't even get anything close to it.

But you still have a max. And if you're serious enough to be keeping track of records you're probably serious enough to take measures to keep close to that max. You can't really fluke strength like you can skill. The latter has an element of chance.
Planto
To what extent is it really genetic, though? Most descriptions I've read classify words like "endomorph" simply to be descriptions of body shape, i.e. a skinny guy who trains and gets swole has gone from being ecto to mesomorph. Of course genetics will play a part in someone's natural body shape, but it seems to be that the major determinants of body type, as the main terms are commonly used, are nutrition and lifestyle. I think in practice "ectomorph" just means skinny and places a false implication on this being due to genetics.

People are using it incorrectly then, the somatotype model is not as you describe above.

Uisng extremes for e.g and ectomorphy will have a narrow rib cage and shoulder structure - as in the skeletal structure which is very much genetic, long arms and legs (in relation to torso size) and narrow hips - again all skeletal,

Now on this skeletal structure lies the skeletal muscle, which if you have a narrow rib cage you are never going to get a 50 inch chest and so on.

The body type also does cover a variable which can be influenced to an extent - that of muscle and fat gain - and ecto would fall under the classic hardgainer sort of view, difficult to gain muscle and fat.

An example springs to mind for me, a lad in the gym has very defined arms and shoulders, he is an epic gear whore yet is still 13stone. If you see him on his own he doens't look too bad, but the moment he stands by someone with a more mesomorphic pysique with a barrell chest, even those new to the gym he looks tiny.
Reply 195
Powerlifter
he is an epic gear whore yet is still 13stone.

Sorry what does that mean?

To add on to what you said not many people will be true ecto, meso, endo etc... they normally lie in between. So don't get to obsessed with it, just shut up and get to the gym.
Reply 196
PBTimmeh

To add on to what you said not many people will be true ecto, meso, endo etc... they normally lie in between. So don't get to obsessed with it, just shut up and get to the gym.

He is on Roids or other drugs and a lot of them lol
PBTimmeh

Wow, strong words from a pencil neck 17 year old :wink:
Reply 198
Powerlifter
Wow, strong words from a pencil neck 17 year old :wink:

I don't think he was aiming the "shut up and get to the gym" at you. I think he justs means in general; he's kinda agreeing with you.
SMed
I don't think he was aiming the "shut up and get to the gym" at you. I think he justs means in general; he's kinda agreeing with you.

I know, I just wanted to be a d*ck and start an argument

Quick Reply

Latest