The Student Room Group

Ask Powerlifter - Gents and gals of all goals welcome

Scroll to see replies

Powerlifter
x

Hey, just wondering if you can look at my thread and give me a straight answer about what exercise regime I should do and whether I should alternate monthly between lifting weights and cardio or what on earth I should do. If you don't mind giving my thread a quick read. I would post everything here but, it's way too long and I just want a simple, honest answer (I'm pretty confused by all this lol)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1111295
Procrastinating
Hey, just wondering if you can look at my thread and give me a straight answer about what exercise regime I should do and whether I should alternate monthly between lifting weights and cardio or what on earth I should do. If you don't mind giving my thread a quick read. I would post everything here but, it's way too long and I just want a simple, honest answer (I'm pretty confused by all this lol)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1111295

Choc has covered most of it to be honest mate
Cortez
Oh wait, I see what you mean - my muscles wont get imbalanced? But what if I'm limited by my wrist and not my muscles - then they will be imbalanced? And will I get problems then?

Still won't be a huge problem to be honest so I would not worry about it.
Reply 383
I recently started Rippetoe's, but accidentally did workout A (bench/squat 3x5 and deadlift 1x5) all 3 days rather than alternating with workout B (squat, press & clean) in the first week (this week). I had no problems increasing the weight on all three excercises, and have no problems with recovery. Should I keep up with only A or just start alternating next week?
Reply 384
Azer
I recently started Rippetoe's, but accidentally did workout A (bench/squat 3x5 and deadlift 1x5) all 3 days rather than alternating with workout B (squat, press & clean) in the first week (this week). I had no problems increasing the weight on all three excercises, and have no problems with recovery. Should I keep up with only A or just start alternating next week?

You just started thats why you had no problem with recovery. You will have problems with recovery as you progress so its best to do it how its laid out. You won't progress as fast doing the same thing 3 times a week (eventually).

A lot of people know starting strength well here, so its easy for us to help out if you started a blog or something..
Powerlifter maybe you can help explain this to me...

I have been on starting strength for 5 weeks. I started lifting

bench 40kg
squat 40kg
deadlift 50kg

I have been able to add weight to my deadlift and squat every session, and they are now at

squat 80kg
deadlift 95kg

but I'm REALLY struggling with bench press. I got it up to 55kg within the first 3 weeks on the program, but for nearly two weeks now I have been unable to bench 60kg. I can do one 5rep set but I can't even complete the second set on that weight.

Oh, and I'm 6ft0, started at 75-76kg and was 79.9kg today.
tomtomtomtom
Powerlifter maybe you can help explain this to me...

I have been on starting strength for 5 weeks. I started lifting

bench 40kg
squat 40kg
deadlift 50kg

I have been able to add weight to my deadlift and squat every session, and they are now at

squat 80kg
deadlift 95kg

but I'm REALLY struggling with bench press. I got it up to 55kg within the first 3 weeks on the program, but for nearly two weeks now I have been unable to bench 60kg. I can do one 5rep set but I can't even complete the second set on that weight.

Oh, and I'm 6ft0, started at 75-76kg and was 79.9kg today.

Why are you so surprised? Bench will never be close to the other two raw bub. Your squat and pull are getting there due to form and not being such a faggot with hard work.
A 5kg jump on the bench is alot mate, try a smaller jump such as 2.5kg or get three more reps on the current weight.
Me
Here you go, got a list of Andy and some others all done in Powerlifting Comps

Andy Bolton - 457.5kg

Pete Tregaloan - 402kg

Mark Felix - 400kg

Dave Cater - 388kg

Delroy McQueen - 382.5kg

Andy Kerr - 382kg

Arthur White - 380kg

John Neighbour - 377.5kg

Lee Marshall - 365.5kg

Brian Reynolds - 365kg

Mick Ashurst - 365kg

Dean Bowring - 365kg

So I think given we have around 80% less activly participating powerlifters we do pretty well when it comes to the art of pulling.

The list is now 12 long as Mark Felix lifted in the GBPF this weekend and pulled 400kgs (320squat & 182.5kg bench)
Reply 388
I got two questions:

1) Direct arm work:
I know that beginners are better off sticking to a few compound lifts and get their biceps/triceps/forearm action that way and have little need for additional curls/extensions but what about if you've been into lifting a bit longer?
What I want to know is- how beneficial do you think is moderate amounts of direct arm work for an intermediate lifter?
I have been training constantly for 1.5 years during which I have gained over 20kg of mass so I don't think I am a beginner any more. By moderate amounts of direct arm work, I am not talking about having a separate day for your biceps and triceps as some people do but instead just do 1-2 bicep/forearm exercises, 2-3 sets each once a week and 2 triceps exercises 3 sets each once a week.

2)
Do you think that a glass of milk with 1-2 tablespoons of whey is a good pre-sleep snack?

Just for the record, my goals are these and in this very order:
1. Gain in muscle mass
2. Gain in strength
3. Gain in athletic ability (vertical jump)
teriaki
I got two questions:

1) Direct arm work:
I know that beginners are better off sticking to a few compound lifts and get their biceps/triceps/forearm action that way and have little need for additional curls/extensions but what about if you've been into lifting a bit longer?
What I want to know is- how beneficial do you think is moderate amounts of direct arm work for an intermediate lifter?
I have been training constantly for 1.5 years during which I have gained over 20kg of mass so I don't think I am a beginner any more. By moderate amounts of direct arm work, I am not talking about having a separate day for your biceps and triceps as some people do but instead just do 1-2 bicep/forearm exercises, 2-3 sets each once a week and 2 triceps exercises 3 sets each once a week.

2)
Do you think that a glass of milk with 1-2 tablespoons of whey is a good pre-sleep snack?

Just for the record, my goals are these and in this very order:
1. Gain in muscle mass
2. Gain in strength
3. Gain in athletic ability (vertical jump)

Triceps can have some direct attention after heavy freeweight pressing. But it should be in form with the big lifts so:
Close Grip Bench
Floor Press
Board Press
Skull Crushers are good but the above should take priority.
Biceps don't need much direct attention at all, if anything I would just do hammer curls for a few sets after bench and triceps and leave it at that.
Reply 390
Powerlifter
Triceps can have some direct attention after heavy freeweight pressing. But it should be in form with the big lifts so:
Close Grip Bench
Floor Press
Board Press
Skull Crushers are good but the above should take priority.
Biceps don't need much direct attention at all, if anything I would just do hammer curls for a few sets after bench and triceps and leave it at that.

Ok. I work my triceps on my shoulder day so they have seen a bit of pressing before that. I usually do dips for them followed by some cable extensions.
teriaki
Ok. I work my triceps on my shoulder day so they have seen a bit of pressing before that. I usually do dips for them followed by some cable extensions.

You seem to miss the point. Cables ties are for holding wires together, steel cables are for holding briges up and supporitng structures.
They have no place in the tricep workout you need.

Tricep dips are gay too, just do regular heavy ass para par dips!!!
My lower back rounds at the bottom of my squats no matter how much i try to keep it stright, any ways to help stop that happening
Powerlifter
The list is now 12 long as Mark Felix lifted in the GBPF this weekend and pulled 400kgs (320squat & 182.5kg bench)

Excellent stuff to Mark!

There was a GBPF meet at a gym a mile or two from my house this weekend. Was wondering if Mark was there but checked and he wasn't. Was going to go but just far too much uni work at the moment. Least I didn't miss Mark Felix pulling 400.
Phantom Bug
My lower back rounds at the bottom of my squats no matter how much i try to keep it stright, any ways to help stop that happening

get a stronger midsection and push your abs out into your belt more
should I switch to low bar squats?
Matt what do you think about beltless work? This seems to be a hot topic at 70sbig for some reason.
commandant
should I switch to low bar squats?

Do both imo.

I train low bar power squats for the posterior chain and adductors and high bar oly squats for the quads as I cbfa to do other quad work.
burningnun
Matt what do you think about beltless work? This seems to be a hot topic at 70sbig for some reason.

Lee and I both do most offseason work raw
What's your opinion on sled/prowler work? Do a lot of British powerlifters use them?

Quick Reply

Latest