The Student Room Group

Ask Powerlifter - Gents and gals of all goals welcome

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sleekchic
TBH it doesn't look like you weigh (can't really remember what weight you posted now) but you look a lot lighter so it doesn't seem like you have anything to worry about.

Lol thanks :p: I weigh a big fat 80kg :hoppy: But it's nice to be told I don't look it! I'd rather keep improving my lifts so I'll try not to think about it too much and just increase my cardio when spring finally arrives.
Original post by Powerlifter
Yeah, good timesaver

question about deadlifting:

i find the worst bit to be the loading and deloading of the bar (three 20 kg plates each side atm), its annoying the way its on the floor, so when you put weights on you have to fight friction to get them on. And then when i'm dizzy after my final set, i have to sit down for 30 seconds before i'm fit to strip the weights off. By the time i've made 6 trips to the weight tree with 20kg plates i feel drained.

whats the best way to put plates on and off? any tips?
Original post by cowsforsale
I definately understand where you're coming from and it does make a lot of sense.

By the by, did you ever get to represent Oxford?

I only took up lifting about 2 terms prior to leaving Uni, so I was a pure noob at any situation where I could've competed. Haven't competed at all actually. Might compete this year if I can get to a place where I'm happy-ish with my strength level for my weight.
Original post by SummerSofas

i find the worst bit to be the loading and deloading of the bar (three 20 kg plates each side atm), its annoying the way its on the floor, so when you put weights on you have to fight friction to get them on. And then when i'm dizzy after my final set, i have to sit down for 30 seconds before i'm fit to strip the weights off. By the time i've made 6 trips to the weight tree with 20kg plates i feel drained.

I'm not completely sure if I understand your query. But roll the plates on top of a 2.5kg plate. This means you can pull the final two plates off pretty easily. That or just use plates smaller than the 20kg plate. I generally do this for convenience of loading anyway but that is quite unusual (at least at UCL.)
Original post by The Blind Monk
I'm not completely sure if I understand your query. But roll the plates on top of a 2.5kg plate. This means you can pull the final two plates off pretty easily. That or just use plates smaller than the 20kg plate. I generally do this for convenience of loading anyway but that is quite unusual (at least at UCL.)

not a bad idea to use plates smaller than 20 kg after the first one. Maybe i'l have a 20kg plate and 17 x 2.5kg on each side next time i deadlift

roll the inside plate onto a 1.25kg disk so the other two slide off.

I strip one side (7 20kg plates), then just pull the bar out of the other 7 and roll them as one to the weight stack.
roll the inside plate onto a 1.25kg disk so the other two slide off.

I strip one side (7 20kg plates), then just pull the bar out of the other 7 and roll them as one to the weight stack.

okay. random physics question for you sir!

I did a Beastly 112.5 kg squat today (for reps), so thats 46.25kg each side. When i was done i took all the plates off the left hand side. Somehow the barbell defied the laws of physics: it has 46.25 kg on one side of the squat rack and no weight on the other, yet it didn't crash down to the floor on the weighted side! what gives?
okay. random physics question for you sir!

I did a Beastly 112.5 kg squat today (for reps), so thats 46.25kg each side. When i was done i took all the plates off the left hand side. Somehow the barbell defied the laws of physics: it has 46.25 kg on one side of the squat rack and no weight on the other, yet it didn't crash down to the floor on the weighted side! what gives?

Didyou not listen in Maths GCSE/As Level?

It's force *distance to give yourself a moment.

As you had a 7 ft olympic bar with the weight being evenly distibuted you treat that as being in the middle of the rack. Then times the weight 42.5 by the distance from the pivot point(Probably about 10 cm to the first plate compared to 3 foot away for the weight of the bar...
I'm sure I made a bar drop to one side after leaving 40-50kg on it from 5 feet up :colondollar:.

Thank christ it didn't hurt anyone because people were benching beside me :sad:
Original post by MHorman
Didyou not listen in Maths GCSE/As Level?

It's force *distance to give yourself a moment.

As you had a 7 ft olympic bar with the weight being evenly distibuted you treat that as being in the middle of the rack. Then times the weight 42.5 by the distance from the pivot point(Probably about 10 cm to the first plate compared to 3 foot away for the weight of the bar...

interesting. So how much weight would i need on one side to make the bar crash down?
interesting. So how much weight would i need on one side to make the bar crash down?

Depends where on the bar it is supported, if its out wide it will take a 50, if narrow then 50 usually makes it crash

Depends on how far away from the pivot point you put it...

It's done in Newton Metres.

Assuming a 7 foot bar with about 4 foot between the points of the rack and another 15cm then a foot for weights.(ish) then 40kg at the very end of the bar would flip it.

Say 60cm*20kg(weight of bar) would be keeping the bar down and then 40cm*40kg would produce a larger moment.

But to save injuries. Un-Rack both sides fairly evenly...
Depends where on the bar it is supported, if its out wide it will take a 50, if narrow then 50 usually makes it crash

hmm, me thinks i'll have to experiment next time i go. better wear the steel toe capped boots though...
Original post by MHorman
Depends on how far away from the pivot point you put it...

It's done in Newton Metres.

Assuming a 7 foot bar with about 4 foot between the points of the rack and another 15cm then a foot for weights.(ish) then 40kg at the very end of the bar would flip it.

Say 60cm*20kg(weight of bar) would be keeping the bar down and then 40cm*40kg would produce a larger moment.

But to save injuries. Un-Rack both sides fairly evenly...

Yeah, its a 7 foot, 2.1 m long 20 kg bar. My gym is based on planet Earth, so g=9.81. The collars are say 0.4m cm long and the pivot points are 1.2 m apart. The weight plates avaliable are 20 kg, and have a thickness of 0.05m. All plates are assumed to be pushed as close to the centre of the barbell as possible. How much weight will i need now to bring it down?

(20)
Yeah, its a 7 foot, 2.1 m long 20 kg bar. My gym is based on planet Earth, so g=9.81. The collars are say 0.4m cm long and the pivot points are 1.2 m apart. The weight plates avaliable are 20 kg, and have a thickness of 0.05m. All plates are assumed to be pushed as close to the centre of the barbell as possible. How much weight will i need now to bring it down?

(20)

It would flip when you put the 4th 20kg weight on.

Your bar moment is .6*20 so 120

Using your figures a 1.2 apart pivot points and .4m collars then you have a .05 gap between pivot and inside of the weights. on the 2.1 metre bar.

60*0.175 wouldn't make it fall but 80*.225 would.

Of course this may not be exactly accurate IRL as i doubt you accurately measured each part of your bar but that's the mathsy asnwer with my working out.

I'm going to stop clogging up Matt's thread now and get back to my lab reports...
Original post by MHorman
It would flip when you put the 4th 20kg weight on.

Your bar moment is .6*20 so 120

Using your figures a 1.2 apart pivot points and .4m collars then you have a .05 gap between pivot and inside of the weights. on the 2.1 metre bar.

60*0.175 wouldn't make it fall but 80*.225 would.

Of course this may not be exactly accurate IRL as i doubt you accurately measured each part of your bar but that's the mathsy asnwer with my working out.

I'm going to stop clogging up Matt's thread now and get back to my lab reports...

cheers! i now know that its safe for me to take the plates off one side, and then the other without fear of the bar coming down.
until of course i start doing 4 plate squats/ BP's...
cheers! i now know that its safe for me to take the plates off one side, and then the other without fear of the bar coming down.
until of course i start doing 4 plate squats/ BP's...

The thing is though, if the other weights are even about 5cm further away from the pivot point it makes a massive difference to the moment.

Basically. Remove both sides fairly evenly as if the bar gets pushed over to one side there could easily be lower weights crashing down and i don't want you trying to sue me and my internet maths.

Just use common sense...

If you have 3 plates on each side then remove 2 from one side, then the other 3 then the last one as the other 3 could flip the bar if it's across by about 2.5cm...
Original post by MHorman
The thing is though, if the other weights are even about 5cm further away from the pivot point it makes a massive difference to the moment.

Basically. Remove both sides fairly evenly as if the bar gets pushed over to one side there could easily be lower weights crashing down and i don't want you trying to sue me and my internet maths.

Just use common sense...

If you have 3 plates on each side then remove 2 from one side, then the other 3 then the last one as the other 3 could flip the bar if it's across by about 2.5cm...

good call. i shall have to make sure my fellow beasty bretherens at the gym know of the dangers about uneven loading/deloading of the barbell.

skinny kids quarter squatting 60kg needn't worry though
Reply 1398
My friend said he can bench 130kg (1 MR) at BW 65KG. I'm the same BW and probably can bench 1RM maximum 100kg (I use dumbells for chest). How come there is a big difference..or is he jsut lieing?
Original post by Gowrav
My friend said he can bench 130kg (1 MR) at BW 65KG. I'm the same BW and probably can bench 1RM maximum 100kg (I use dumbells for chest). How come there is a big difference..or is he jsut lieing?

May be a lie, or of course he may just be stronger than you.

Quick Reply

Latest