The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Apocalypte
Anyone else having an absolute nightmare trying to get out to run at the moment because of snow and ice?

Yes. :frown:

Also trying to find a good route to run!
Reply 181
Gypsy King
You got a place? Well done! :smile: I didn't, never mind.

Yup :grin:

Argh, why am I doing this?
Juno

Argh, why am I doing this?

You'll ask yourself this a million times during training and the race. When you finish, you'll know :smile:
SebMurphy
that sounds like fun, how many laps are you aiming for?

16... 100 miles, more or less! :smile:
Gypsy King
16... 100 miles, more or less! :smile:

wow good luck, you'l have to get some seriously long training runs in.
and anything to improve your recovery rate, 80k each in a day, yeesh
Reply 185
How much distance do you guys run per day?
ran for the first time in ages this evening!
Going to try and start going more often now there is no snow.
xxx
Valour

Mon - 5k
Tues - 9k
Wed - rest
Thurs - 5k
Fri - 9k
Sat + Sun - rest
SebMurphy
wow good luck, you'l have to get some seriously long training runs in.
and anything to improve your recovery rate, 80k each in a day, yeesh

Yeah, back to back long days are called for, and also some days of several reps of 10km. 10km reps... now there's a new one!

Valour

Per day varies wildly. Per week I'm currently at around 50-60 miles, though that's on the increase as prep for Paris Marathon.
Valour

Depends really, but I'm doing about 30 miles a week at the moment. Will be doing 7 miles in the morning before classes.
Juno
Anyone else "successful" in the great north run ballot? :afraid:

Nope :frown: My boyfriend got in though, and he only entered to 'keep me company' so he's pretty annoyed lol. Have to wait until Febuary to see if I've made it in through the main ballot... urghh that waiting!

Anyone doing any Race for Life this year? I'm thinking of entering the Liverpool one on the 18th July :smile:
Reply 191
manx1991
Nope :frown: My boyfriend got in though, and he only entered to 'keep me company' so he's pretty annoyed lol. Have to wait until Febuary to see if I've made it in through the main ballot... urghh that waiting!

Anyone doing any Race for Life this year? I'm thinking of entering the Liverpool one on the 18th July :smile:

Did you get the email about the Adidas ballot? They're only giving away 10 places, but if you really want to do it its worth a shot.

I'm also doing the Race For Life. Will be my 3rd :smile:
Juno
Did you get the email about the Adidas ballot? They're only giving away 10 places, but if you really want to do it its worth a shot.

I'm also doing the Race For Life. Will be my 3rd :smile:

How'd you do that? I mean, I don't want to re-enter my pay details if I'm in the general ballot =/

I was supposed to do it last year but ended up getting lost so didn't turn up :frown: kind of sucked...
Reply 193
Has anyone trained using a heart rate monitor? The idea is to measure your heart rate while your resting and on the basis of this work out your optimal running speed depending on your fitness. Sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

Would be interested to hear your experience!

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Watch/dp/B00005MEOA
newhere
Has anyone trained using a heart rate monitor? The idea is to measure your heart rate while your resting and on the basis of this work out your optimal running speed depending on your fitness. Sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

I've recently brought one, but right now it's not hard to get my heart rate to max out :o: My boyfriend uses it when he wants to be serious about his training, think his max is 90 or something above that, he likes doing it to see he's working hard
20 minute fartleks today, in the rain... this better be worth it- 45 minute 10k here I come :wink:
manx1991
20 minute fartleks today, in the rain... this better be worth it- 45 minute 10k here I come :wink:

how far are you from a 45 min 10k?
and when do you hope to run it?
i got close, and then died.
i did a 48 with not much training, but regular ish running, i was expecting to get 50+ but there was this dude just infront of me who had a good pace :biggrin:
ran monday and woke up tuesday and felt so achey, but in a weird way it reminded me how long i hadnt run for and how much i enjoyed it.
Ran again tonight, might tomorrow, depends on how much revision i get done. xxx
SebMurphy
how far are you from a 45 min 10k?
and when do you hope to run it?
i got close, and then died.
i did a 48 with not much training, but regular ish running, i was expecting to get 50+ but there was this dude just infront of me who had a good pace :biggrin:

Hopefully certainly by 2011/12, ideally 40 minutes flat, to qualify for the island games. Right now it's just gaining endurance since I can only run 1k so far! I'm running a fast 10k in April (maybe) which will hopefully give me some indication of where I'm at, then a slow one in May

How do you train, or rather what are you're regularish runs? Mine are generally intervals/fartleks but have done a speed session twice just to get those legs working :p:
Reply 199
newhere

I use one but only on steady runs, it is good to find out what your optimal training zones are for recovery runs. I find that in harder sessions a HRM just restricts my breathing...

Latest