The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FireDeuce
Depends how much you enjoy running on a burst blister when you're 3 miles from home.

I don't have feet any more - they're just blisters (though that was a parting gift from my old trainers). I mainly run on the treadmill at the moment but guess it doesn't hurt much to do it anyway. Feels odd though :p:

Original post by FireDeuce
Really, really useful tools. I have a 405. During the run being able to see the pace is good, and the after run analysis is very helpful to identify areas for future training.

I'm yet to properly use the HRM though. The virtual running parter is useful to an extent, you can see just how far off your overall time you are, and whether or not you need to speed up or you have a margin of safety.

I think when I'm a more serious runner I may save up for one of these - I've never heard a bad word about them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Okay, having super smooth, perfectly pedicured feet and vaseline isn't working in the war against blisters (it's only my left feet - my dodgy angle foot :sigh:) so I've bought some surgical spirit to toughen up the key areas. Anyone had any success with this?
Reply 2342
Original post by Aemiliana
Okay, having super smooth, perfectly pedicured feet and vaseline isn't working in the war against blisters (it's only my left feet - my dodgy angle foot :sigh:) so I've bought some surgical spirit to toughen up the key areas. Anyone had any success with this?

Try anti-chafing balm, which is much more effective than vaseline. It's sweat proof, so doesn't rub off as easily as vaseline, and it doesn't leave any marks (which ok isn't a problem for feet, may be an issue for strap marks etc).

Also, blisters are not solely attributable to footwear- your socks can make all the difference, and on personal experience it is worth paying extra for proper running socks. There are lots of difference types so you may have to try out a few pairs, but there are double-layer ones especially for preventing blisters. I think that X-socks are good and well worth the money.

After taking steroids for a number of years which thinned my skin, I know all about blisters...14 per foot is a current record, so i know how you feel!
Reply 2343
Original post by anfieldred07
How are the Garmins? I remember looking at them a while back and they looked decent but then I stopped running for a while.

I second everything said above about Garmins. My 305 is invaluable :smile:
Original post by Pigeon

Also, blisters are not solely attributable to footwear- your socks can make all the difference, and on personal experience it is worth paying extra for proper running socks. There are lots of difference types so you may have to try out a few pairs, but there are double-layer ones especially for preventing blisters. I think that X-socks are good and well worth the money.

Would agree with this - I love my Hilly twin-skin socks, and they have another little advantage in that they help to widen up my narrow feet a little which makes my shoes fit better.

Unlike Pigeon though, I have the tough feet of doom - I trained barefoot for kenpo and taekwondo for 12 years. My feet aren't pretty, but the only time I've had serious blistering is at the end of a marathon in shoes that were a quarter of a size too big.

Get one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0025UHKNS/ref=asc_df_B0025UHKNS2804500?smid=A25L0Q8ALQJM6Q&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B0025UHKNS

The Garmin 405CX is mighty.

How are the Garmins? I remember looking at them a while back and they looked decent but then I stopped running for a while.

I have a 405CX, and it's better than the 405 for satellite reception, and not much worse than the 410 (which is very similar, and marginally better). The 405 is a good alternative. The 405CX comes with a HRM, which makes it a better buy (AFAIK the 405 doesn't). Both come with wrist straps: the standard one, a long velcro one, and a short velcro one. They hold their signal even in dense tree cover, and have many programmable features and workouts. The bezel can become a bit awkward when wet (the 410 is supposed to resolve this to some extend, but I have heard otherwise), but you can just lock it for the majority of the run to avoid any issues.
Original post by addylad
Get one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0025UHKNS/ref=asc_df_B0025UHKNS2804500?smid=A25L0Q8ALQJM6Q&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B0025UHKNS

I have a 405CX, and it's better than the 405 for satellite reception, and not much worse than the 410 (which is very similar, and marginally better). The 405 is a good alternative. The 405CX comes with a HRM, which makes it a better buy (AFAIK the 405 doesn't). Both come with wrist straps: the standard one, a long velcro one, and a short velcro one. They hold their signal even in dense tree cover, and have many programmable features and workouts. The bezel can become a bit awkward when wet (the 410 is supposed to resolve this to some extend, but I have heard otherwise), but you can just lock it for the majority of the run to avoid any issues.

This looks really interesting to me. Are the 405cx's reliable? As in, they dont cut out half way through runs or anything? (like a certain nike product i can think of). I'm seriouly considering this now. Thanks for the info :smile:

This looks really interesting to me. Are the 405cx's reliable? As in, they dont cut out half way through runs or anything? (like a certain nike product i can think of). I'm seriouly considering this now. Thanks for the info :smile:

Nope, never had an issue. One thing to note is that you can't turn it off, unless the battery runs out. That's one reason why people are going for the 410.
Original post by addylad

Original post by addylad
Get one of these:

Hmm, this looks interesting - I thought all the GPS ones didn't come with a HRM, pushing the price up another £40-50! As long as I'm still running next year (which I hope to be and it should be solely outside by then!) I think I may start saving for one. Mind you, it'd be super useful when I go back to my parents' house in a few weeks and have to run in woodland.
3.62 miles of HIIT on the treadmill :smile:
Managed a 5km this morning :smile: Very proud of myself and still managed to keep my mile times under 10mins :biggrin:
Mannnn bad BAD day! Asthma being a bitch :frown:

Does anyone use heart rate monitors when running? If you do, would you recommend?
800m and 1500m races yesterday!

And I have a HRM but never use it really.
Original post by bananalala

Does anyone use heart rate monitors when running? If you do, would you recommend?

I use the one that came with my Garmin, but I don't train based on heart rate. I just like having the data out of my own personal interest and for my log.
Accidently clicked on 'stop watching this thread' :frown:

Anyways. I am going to be starting my 30 min Week 9 C25K runs tomorrow :smile:

Just wanted to ask a quick question; on the c25k, they do a 5k brisk walk warm up. However, when I start running I don't really feel very warmed up. So in previous runs when I have ended up stopping, I think this may be due to me not being properly warmed up.... However, in my last run (that I completed :tongue:) it was about 16 minutes in and I felt AMAZING, :tongue: Like really nice a loose, all warmed up, like I could run forever :tongue: so I was wondering if jogging nice and slowly for an additional 5 minutes after the brisk walk would help me a bit?

What do you guys do to warm up?
Original post by teaandcoffee

What do you guys do to warm up?

I just start running, and accept the fact that the first mile is going to be a bit sluggish.
Just started my C25K week 6...Found it quite easy :biggrin:
Original post by Apocalypte
I just start running, and accept the fact that the first mile is going to be a bit sluggish.

Hmm really?

Well I think I need to properly warm up to avoid injury, but if that works for you, then thats cool.
I cannot wait until exams end.......get the rhythm going again with my beloved......running :tongue:
Original post by Pigeon

Original post by Pigeon
Try anti-chafing balm, which is much more effective than vaseline. It's sweat proof, so doesn't rub off as easily as vaseline, and it doesn't leave any marks (which ok isn't a problem for feet, may be an issue for strap marks etc).

After taking steroids for a number of years which thinned my skin, I know all about blisters...14 per foot is a current record, so i know how you feel!

Sorry, only just finished my TSR block for revision so can finally actually reply to things!

Thing is, I'm very poor at the moment (due to my old trainers dying, oh the irony :rolleyes:) and I had the surgical spirit for other things. I might try the socks at some point - I am currently using some very cheap ones! But it is literally just the back of my right heel that's affected by running so I'm hoping that as I slowly get used to running like a normal human being that this will stop (all the other blisters are from other shoes with wrong insoles etc - I have very wussy feet :facepalm:)

Latest