The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2360
what do you guys do for HIIT, im just starting out and im doing 200m at 9/10 effort then 400m slow pace 5 times.
Original post by dadude
what do you guys do for HIIT, im just starting out and im doing 200m at 9/10 effort then 400m slow pace 5 times.

Thats a good start! I do 400 x 8 for me works well for me but I am bloody shattered afterwards

Doing a 5 miler tonight... gonna hurt! Think i'll aim for about 40 mins ish... but depends on weather and how tired I feel!
Just been out and bought myself a new sports top.... motivation :thumbsup:
Original post by thesilvermagnolia

I love new stuff always a motivator... now get out there and do some running :tongue:
hehe I went this morning! :P
I decided that I would reward myself for getting back into it...excuses for new things really :biggrin:
Another 5km today (knocked 15seconds off my time from yesterday) very happy. Day off tomorrow but I really want to get out there again.

does anyone really see the benefit of rest days? Surely a shorter, easier run would be better then just doing nothing?
Original post by anfieldred07
Another 5km today (knocked 15seconds off my time from yesterday) very happy. Day off tomorrow but I really want to get out there again.

does anyone really see the benefit of rest days? Surely a shorter, easier run would be better then just doing nothing?

Thats awesome congrats :smile:

Rest days are important as I found out to my detriment! It gives muscles time to heal and build and your body time to recover. I now have at least 1 rest day a week and feel better for it!
Original post by dipless
Thats awesome congrats :smile:

Rest days are important as I found out to my detriment! It gives muscles time to heal and build and your body time to recover. I now have at least 1 rest day a week and feel better for it!

Thank you :smile: I just feel, if i have a rest day. That im being lazy and should be going for a run lol ridiculous i know :redface:

Thank you :smile: I just feel, if i have a rest day. That im being lazy and should be going for a run lol ridiculous i know :redface:

Consider your rest day(s) part of your training. You will actually get worse without them. I did have a period of doing 2.5 miles easy on my rest day (Friday) because I had a tempo run on the Saturday mornings, and I tended to feel sluggish if I didn't do something the day before. But I always ended up running 6:40 pace. Not super fast, and it was only a short run so it felt easy, but it was perhaps a bit too fast.
Original post by dadude

Original post by dadude

Depends on your aims. Are there any specific events you're aiming for? If you just want general conditioning then 5k/10k sessions will most likely give you the greatest benefit. I can give you lots of sessions if you narrow it down a bit.
Original post by thesilvermagnolia

When I get paid I am gonna get myself a few more running clothes and some new running shoes :biggrin:

Will be going for a run tomorrow morning :smile:
Reply 2371
Original post by addylad
Depends on your aims. Are there any specific events you're aiming for? If you just want general conditioning then 5k/10k sessions will most likely give you the greatest benefit. I can give you lots of sessions if you narrow it down a bit.

im doing it for my beach body :biggrin: Seriously though i used to be quite active although havnt been working out for about a year. So now ive got about 5 or 6 kg i want to lose as quickly as possible before hitting the weights. I play football once a week plus HIIT training 3 times a week then in a couple of weeks ill continue doing the HIIT and start the weights aswell
800m=Killer :smile:
Original post by dadude

Original post by dadude
im doing it for my beach body :biggrin: Seriously though i used to be quite active although havnt been working out for about a year. So now ive got about 5 or 6 kg i want to lose as quickly as possible before hitting the weights. I play football once a week plus HIIT training 3 times a week then in a couple of weeks ill continue doing the HIIT and start the weights aswell

To lose a decent amount of fat you're best off doing medium intervals at a quick pace with a decent rest. Sessions such as:
8-10 x 400, 3 mins rest
6-8 x 600, 2-3 mins rest
12-16 x 200, 90 secs - 2 mins rest

You can also throw in:
6 x 800, 2 mins rest for endurance
3-5 x 1k for endurance/V02max

Enjoy. :smile:

If you feel like you're being lazy on your rest days, then maybe do some core and strengthening work? This will benefit your running too.
Rest days make me feel so lazy - I decided to not do anything at all yesterday because my body was pretty pissed at me and literally spent the night before thinking about what wouldn't 'count' as exercise :facepalm: And then I did nothing today :sigh: It shows in my motivation and energy levels though - I need me my gym fix!
Original post by addylad
X

Could you give me an easy, a medium and a tough vo2 max session?
Right, sod my life right now.

I've been soooooo lax about my running lately. I'm going to try and keep up the 6 day week I had last term with varying my runs a little bit. Spent ages on mapmyrun this afternoon trying different routes of varying lengths :smile:

Actually quite excited to get this going!
Reply 2378
Original post by addylad
To lose a decent amount of fat you're best off doing medium intervals at a quick pace with a decent rest. Sessions such as:
8-10 x 400, 3 mins rest
6-8 x 600, 2-3 mins rest
12-16 x 200, 90 secs - 2 mins rest

You can also throw in:
6 x 800, 2 mins rest for endurance
3-5 x 1k for endurance/V02max

Enjoy. :smile:

ok thanks for the advice but by rest do you think its better to walk or should i try and continue jogging
Just started the C25K, did my week 1 run 2 today :smile:

I can really feel myself already becoming addicted, I really wanted to go out on my rest day yesterday :tongue:

I never thought I'd like running outside, I'm more of a treadmill kind of guy. I thought I'd be more self-conscious but after a few minutes I was alright :smile:

Excited for my next run, maybe I'll do some core muscle excises or something tomorrow :smile:

Latest