The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

mcp2
Am I running incorrectly if only my calfs hurt and not my quads or hamstrings?

That's pretty normal. Your calves do most of the work, your quads do some but not as much.

Make sure you're warming down and stretching off after your session.
Reply 361
Cycled 11 miles [stationary bike]. Evening = outdoor run anywhere between 2.5k and 5k. :smile:
Reply 362
addylad
That's pretty normal. Your calves do most of the work, your quads do some but not as much.

Make sure you're warming down and stretching off after your session.

I play 5 a side football after my runs, I'll be sure to warm down.
mcp2
I play 5 a side football after my runs, I'll be sure to warm down.

I went running on Tuesday, did five a side on Wednesday, then went running on Thursday. I got hacked a bit on Wednesday but luckily I was okay. ;D

I guess in that case, warming up for the five a side game is more important than warming down after running; there are a lot more changes in direction and strain on the muscles. :smile:
Narik
Cycled 11 miles [stationary bike]. Evening = outdoor run anywhere between 2.5k and 5k. :smile:

What are exercise bikes like? I was thinking of getting one for cross-training, not sure if they're worth it though.
Reply 365
addylad
What are exercise bikes like? I was thinking of getting one for cross-training, not sure if they're worth it though.

Exercise bikes are crap for improving stamina because I barely get out of breath. However, they're really good for your legs - my legs never feel tired on long runs nowadays because of it. :smile:
Narik
Exercise bikes are crap for improving stamina because I barely get out of breath. However, they're really good for your legs - my legs never feel tired on long runs nowadays because of it. :smile:

Can't you up the intensity? And cool, I want stronger legs tbh for running. :smile:
Reply 367
addylad
Can't you up the intensity? And cool, I want stronger legs tbh for running. :smile:

You could, but even then, its your legs that feel a greater impact that your stamina. I find it useless for improving my stamina, great for a leg workout though. :p:
Narik
You could, but even then, its your legs that feel a greater impact that your stamina. I find it useless for improving my stamina, great for a leg workout though. :p:

Ah right. Do you find it useful for any muscles other than the quads?
Reply 369
addylad
Ah right. Do you find it useful for any muscles other than the quads?

Calves a bit, but not half as much as the quads. My quads are HUGEEEEEEEEEEE because of it lol. :smile:
Narik
Calves a bit, but not half as much as the quads. My quads are HUGEEEEEEEEEEE because of it lol. :smile:

Hevvv. How much was yours? :smile:
Reply 371
addylad
Hevvv. How much was yours? :smile:

Only £100. It's a reebok one I got last year on offer and it's still holding together, despite the fact that me, my brother, mum and dad all use it [and occasionally my granny :p: ]. So it was well worth it. You can get it from argos or jjb I think. If you don't like it in the end, you wouldn't have lost too much money so it's all good. :smile:
happydinosaur
Feel quite good after the gym, did 2k on the treadmill and then 20 minutes on the cross trainer. Hardly anything but I worked up quite a sweat. Looking forward to getting back outside in the week.

That's probably just cause you're not 100% yet, it'll pass.

Urgh. How painful can a speed session be?! Now day two of recovery and struggling to stretch my hamstrings :frown: Going to try a run tonight in the nice weather but I'm not expecting miricles sadly, really need to be 100% for Sunday though, typical timing!
Reply 373
9km :smile:
Narik
Only £100. It's a reebok one I got last year on offer and it's still holding together, despite the fact that me, my brother, mum and dad all use it [and occasionally my granny :p: ]. So it was well worth it. You can get it from argos or jjb I think. If you don't like it in the end, you wouldn't have lost too much money so it's all good. :smile:

Sounds good. Considering it. :p: Or maybe a rowing machine.
Reply 375
I posted something before but I need more help so I thought I'd post in the running specific thread.

I'm having what I think is shin split problems. So i've rested for a few days and got proper running shoes. But after I got the new shoes, I tried some treadmill running and it still hurt :s

So my questions basically, do you guys have this problem on treadmills if you use them to run?
What do you do to warm up and cool down?
Anyone got any links to something about proper running form, maybe I run wrong lol

Cheers. I really want to run, so I hope i can get over this.
*Ally*
I posted something before but I need more help so I thought I'd post in the running specific thread.

I'm having what I think is shin split problems. So i've rested for a few days and got proper running shoes. But after I got the new shoes, I tried some treadmill running and it still hurt :s

So my questions basically, do you guys have this problem on treadmills if you use them to run?
What do you do to warm up and cool down?
Anyone got any links to something about proper running form, maybe I run wrong lol

Cheers. I really want to run, so I hope i can get over this.

I've had both shin splints and general pain problems in that area so I'll see if I can help.

Shin splints for me were absolutley excrutiating. I'd just collapse in agony after exercise. This happened for the length of my teenage years. The only thing I could do was nothing at all for about 2 weeks, then it was alright for a while.

You could just try and take a week off and see how you feel. It could just be general aches and pains. Especially if you have just got some new shoes, sometimes it takes a while for your body to get used to it.

To be honest, you can never run without pain really. I'm never 100% perfect so you just have to see how you go with the pain.
only did an LBT class tonight, but have eaten quite well today :smile:
Reply 378
indie_couture
only did an LBT class tonight, but have eaten quite well today :smile:

are you trying to lose weight, maintain or just be healthy lol. :smile:
Narik
are you trying to lose weight, maintain or just be healthy lol. :smile:
mainly be healthy, though i wouldnt mind losing a bt of weight. I am addicted to anything sugary and sweet, so trying to eat more fruit. I have given up chocolate for lent too :smile: Also it might mean i run better if i eat better. xxx

Latest