The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolimemma
A week off the running and I've lost the motivation to go out again! Managed a short run on Sunday but I just can't motivate myself to go out. Any tips for motivation? I'm hoping that after some hillsprints at running club tomorrow I'll maybe get some of my motivation back.

I think you just have to make it a habit. If you do a few jogs a week for a month it feels strange to stop. Hopefully 'twill become easier as the weather improves.
Original post by member841230
I think you just have to make it a habit. If you do a few jogs a week for a month it feels strange to stop. Hopefully 'twill become easier as the weather improves.

Yeah I think you're right! Seems to be sorted now anyway. Went to running club on Thursday, parkrun on Saturday and I'm gonna do about 4 and a half miles tonight before my 10k on Thursday. It was just motivating myself to go out for that first run that was the hard part!
Original post by robo donkey
Finished the marathon in 4;59:03. Very happy :smile:

Good effort! Well done I was struggling with a half marathon distance yesterday.
Reply 9243
Original post by rockrunride
. One of my friends, who was a GB cross country international about 10 years ago, swears by his 8 min/mi long runs.

Yes,my brother in law who is hoping to make the commonwealth games used to be like that as well. But then when he got a coach who actually knew what he was talking about his performances improved massively.
(edited 10 years ago)
My last run was on the 22nd of march. These damn shin splints still haven't healed. I've been resting,I've tried Ibuleve gel but still pain.

What can I do?
Try strengthening your lower leg muscles using some of these exercises, hopefully should help you. I've just had shin splints for a few months as well, think they're gone now but its so frustrating losing so much fitness.

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Shin-Splints-Shin-Splints-Treatment/64/
Considering some more marathons now beyond the London ones I've done, hmmm, tempting.
Original post by k9markiii
Hi guys. I'm going to quote the top 10 most active posters in here.

Quotes

I've written an article about running for the wiki. Please add anything you want to it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/running

Looks good. :smile: Could you maybe (I'll sort something out when I come back on Monday) mention something about running clubs, please? I personally found they helped me a lot.
All these marathons that have gone by have made me slightly jealous of everyone who has ran or will be running one, so i thought i'd get in on the action, well for next year at least, going to start registering for the marathon in Rome which is next March. I'm excited, but it will give me plenty of time to prepare, and i've been lacking goals to aim for of late :smile:
Original post by OU Student
Looks good. :smile: Could you maybe (I'll sort something out when I come back on Monday) mention something about running clubs, please? I personally found they helped me a lot.

Ah yes. How could I forget that. I'll update that tonight.

EDIT Added some stuff to so you want to improve
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by redrose_ftw
All these marathons that have gone by have made me slightly jealous of everyone who has ran or will be running one, so i thought i'd get in on the action, well for next year at least, going to start registering for the marathon in Rome which is next March. I'm excited, but it will give me plenty of time to prepare, and i've been lacking goals to aim for of late :smile:

Ooh that sounds great Rome will be lovely. I don't envy your training schedule but that should be really good. You'll need to make sure you get an ice cream when you finish though. :drool:
Reply 9251
How far do you run?
At the gym, I do interval sprint training for about 1.5km (20s jog, 20s fast walk, 20s jog, 50s sprint [80-85%] - 10s to accommodate for changing speeds. Repeat twice). I would like to do this for 6/7 rounds but I go straight into heavy weights afterwards. Otherwise, wth some friends I do two laps of campus + 10-20 85m sprints (80-90% pace) with 15s intervals.

How long do you run for?
In the gym about 4-5 minutes. Outdoors, 45 or so.

Where do you run?
Answered in first section.

What do you listen to?
In the gym, I repeatedly play Beast by Vicetone as it's perfect for the sprints. With friends, I don't, I speak to them.

Why do you do it?
To get fitter. Primarily for rugby, but hoping to pick up more MMA again soon too.

Do you have any aims?
I want to improve the numbers of sprints I do in the gym without getting too exhausted pre-workout to 5-7. I want to run a 10km for charity sometime. I want to make the 1st team rugby squad at University and be a starting player for them.
Reply 9252
Started running again, it's a welcome distraction from revision at the moment! Nice to get out after a day sat at a desk.

Did a fairly comfortable 2 miles today for my first run in a few months, finished in 14 minutes flat.
Ahhh I've done something to my kneeeeeee! :frown:

I think I've just twisted it a little bit on monday on my run, by tuesday morning it was feeling fine but then i went to the beach and all the walking up and down steps had me limping again, Flat surfaces were fine it was just steps and slopes that had me in pain :frown: it's been okay since wednesday but obviously I've not gone for a run just in case

Any advice on how long a break I should have? It's not at all bad enough to warrant a doctors visit. I was considering going for a run on Monday just to see how it goes...
Original post by Care-Free

I think I've just twisted it a little bit on monday on my run, by tuesday morning it was feeling fine but then i went to the beach and all the walking up and down steps had me limping again, Flat surfaces were fine it was just steps and slopes that had me in pain :frown: it's been okay since wednesday but obviously I've not gone for a run just in case

Any advice on how long a break I should have? It's not at all bad enough to warrant a doctors visit. I was considering going for a run on Monday just to see how it goes...

Just take it easy and first sign of trouble stop. You might need to rest for a week or two, which can be very frustrating.
Original post by k9markiii
Ah yes. How could I forget that. I'll update that tonight.

EDIT Added some stuff to so you want to improve

Also just had a thought but maybe you could insert links to the running threads within the fitness forum (so this one and the C25k one) so that people who come across the article can then join in the forum stuff as well :dontknow:

---

Decided that I need to get back on with the running, as I'm moving house at uni, and my new one is literally 5 mins away from my local ParkRun, so I have no excuse not to be going! Unfortunately I'm only running 3k at the moment, so am going to be following a bupa 10k training plan (here for those interested) to get me to 5k and beyond!

I need to go out for a run this week, as I have exercised at least once a week (usually swimming) every week since the second week in Jan and I need to keep this up!
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Also just had a thought but maybe you could insert links to the running threads within the fitness forum (so this one and the C25k one) so that people who come across the article can then join in the forum stuff as well :dontknow:

---

Decided that I need to get back on with the running, as I'm moving house at uni, and my new one is literally 5 mins away from my local ParkRun, so I have no excuse not to be going! Unfortunately I'm only running 3k at the moment, so am going to be following a bupa 10k training plan (here for those interested) to get me to 5k and beyond!

I need to go out for a run this week, as I have exercised at least once a week (usually swimming) every week since the second week in Jan and I need to keep this up!

Yep thanks. You're much more knowledgable about the wiki than me.

Excellent. I worked hard during the transformation contest and think I'm starting to see the effects of that on my performance. It's very exciting.

EDIT: Done.

P.S. I can only do parkruns when on holidays as the nearest one to my uni is about 20 miles away. :frown: It will be great to be able to walk/run there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Care-Free

I would want to be pain free while walking for a minimum of a week before coming back after any injury

be careful with your knee, I thought I'd twisted mine, 9 months later a physiotherapist finally diagnosed iliotibial band friction syndrome...
Anyone know where I can get hold of some kinesio tape stuff to tape my knee up with? It subluxes repeatedly pretty much every time I move it, which is really annoying when I run!
Hi guys, could anyone tell me around how much you'd expect to pay for a gait analysis? I know there's an Up and Running near me, if anyone's had experience that would be great.

Latest