The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

rockrunride
How far would you be willing to travel? You're from the Isle of Man, right?

My first ever HM was in September, £9.50 entry for members of a club / £11.50 unattached but in Norfolk.

Wow that's cheap. I'll hopefully be at university by then (Preston or Liverpool) so travel won't be so bad
If you're looking for anything closer there's bound to be something on http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/
rockrunride
If you're looking for anything closer there's bound to be something on http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/

Ahh, another runnersworld fantic? Most of the stuff on there is quite large things, stuff that people can be bothered to put up. Sometimes smaller club meets don't get on, which are generally the cheaper things which is why I asked :smile:
Reply 983
Did first 10km today! Just under 45 mins, was just aiming to just get round without stopping really. Thinking about half marathon later on in year :p:
Hello running people.

Question for you all, how long and how hard is it to get into the position to be able to run 10 miles in an hour? And I mean an hour maximum.

Just for something I need to know, cheers.
Reply 985
LoRdShRaPnEl
Hello running people.

Question for you all, how long and how hard is it to get into the position to be able to run 10 miles in an hour? And I mean an hour maximum.

Thats fast, <4min/km for an hour. Alot of training even if your already pretty fit I imagine...
Naigan
Successfully completed the session of my run 8 walk 2 (x3) runs, now on to the next level :smile:

Looks like a good plan there. I always recommend a walk/run combination for beginners.
Reply 987
SebMurphy
Anyone got a Nike+ sportband? Ive just bought one and was wondering what you guys thought of them.

I don't have a Nike+ sportband but I use a Nike+iPod which might be similar.

I find it great for outdoor running (especially if you're not running along main roads or if you're running very twisty curving roads that are hard to map on mapmyrun) and the internet upload thing is helpful for keeping track of my runs (things like how much I've ran this week/month/year, and even what each of my runs look like in terms of speed against time).

The downside is that it's not fantastically accurate - there's been a few runs I've compared against mapmyrun where it's off by about 10% or so. Possibly because I don't use the Nike+ shoes (I use an adapter thingy that goes on my shoelaces). I can live with this though.
tomorrow i am running in the morning, revising, spinning class then revising.
:smile:
Is there any reason why only one calf hurts when running? When my left leg strikes the ground I get an ache. It&#8217;s the same on the cross-trainer. I&#8217;ve tried adjusting my stride and giving longer rest periods, but no change..
LoRdShRaPnEl
Hello running people.

Hard, very hard. It's exactly six minutes per mile. I've never done a 10 miler myself, I reckon I could get an hour now but I've been training nearly eight years. Definitely not two/three years ago.
rockrunride
Hard, very hard. It's exactly six minutes per mile. I've never done a 10 miler myself, I reckon I could get an hour now but I've been training nearly eight years. Definitely not two/three years ago.

Aha, sorry just my brother is currently taking part in selection for something and rambles on about his times and was just wondering how good/bad he was.
I've just started running again (which i've kept up so far for around three weeks), for my fitness if anything. And basically I have a question, which I think should get some answers here -
Consider I'm training to be fitter for football primarily, what is more important: the distance I'm running? or the speed I'm running at?

I'm currently only running 1.5miles every other day, in quite a hilly environment, and it's taking me just a tad over 10 minutes to complete this run - which means i'm running consistently at around 8mph.

Is this an ok routine for my needs? Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!
Budd_Dwyer
I've just started running again (which i've kept up so far for around three weeks), for my fitness if anything. And basically I have a question, which I think should get some answers here -
Consider I'm training to be fitter for football primarily, what is more important: the distance I'm running? or the speed I'm running at?

I'm currently only running 1.5miles every other day, in quite a hilly environment, and it's taking me just a tad over 10 minutes to complete this run - which means i'm running consistently at around 8mph.

Is this an ok routine for my needs? Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

both really, you want to mix distance and speed on your runs.
you also need to vary your run distances to maybe: 1 long - 1 fast - 1 hilly run per week. or preferably more.
this should build up stamina and speed.
:biggrin:
Budd_Dwyer

both really, you want to mix distance and speed on your runs.
you also need to vary your run distances to maybe: 1 long - 1 fast - 1 hilly run per week. or preferably more.
this should build up stamina and speed.
:biggrin:
Wow the heat really got to me today, about about 4 minutes slower than expected for a 17 miler.
ran sat and sun morning! so hot though!
I have an exam tomorrow afternoon, so get the morning off school, so will go for a run then.
im hoping to run tomorrow, to chill from my FP3 exam.
and also, woot 1000th post.
Did Green Belt Relay this weekend. Had two 10.5 mile legs. God it was hot.
Hi everyone,

I've been doing that couch to 5k thing because i've never been running before in my life. I'm really actually enjoying it which I'm quite surprised about (I didn't think I would). It's really relaxing being out and about in the morning before stuff's started although my housemates are getting a little annoyed at the fact that i'm up leaving the house so early to go running! :P

One question though, i'm finding that when i'm doing the walking sections I get quite a bad pain on the left side of my left foot about half way along the foot. It never comes when i'm running though. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Latest