The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

nice with the 8k
still cant run, and its killing me, also been abusing staff discount on breaks at mcdonalds, and THATS killing me.
lol
every time i walk past my loverly asics im like GAH
oh well
hey guys, im guessing this is best place for running advice,
i am wanting to start running but was not very good last time i tried could only complete 1500m without dieing, since then ive kept to doing treadmill running, i can do 3 - 4 km on the treadmill will this correlate to doing 3 - 4km outdoor running as treadmill running seems alot easier then running outside to me. any advice is appreciated :smile:
i'd say that running 3-4 on a treadmill is about equivalent to running 2-3 on roads, obviously depending on how much towards the 3 or 4 you are.
it miles easier to run on a treadmill, because if you stop you fall off, whereas on the road theres nothing to keep you going.
i hate treadmills tbh, because they are really noisy, and there is no variation.
its better than nothing over winter, but get out on them roads :biggrin:
evertn4lif
i am wanting to start running but was not very good last time i tried could only complete 1500m without dieing, since then ive kept to doing treadmill running, i can do 3 - 4 km on the treadmill will this correlate to doing 3 - 4km outdoor running as treadmill running seems alot easier then running outside to me. any advice is appreciated :smile:

It varies for everyone. Personally, last year, I managed two miles on a tread mill yet couldn't do two minutes outside. The tread mill can control your speed, which outside there's just you.

Also, there's the matter of weather. In a gym, it is conditioned to accomadate you, so it'll never be below 12C and there'll always be fans, air conditioning to keep you cool- outside you're own your own.

Personally, I used to prefer treadmills because I simply can't breath when it's cold, but now I've been doing 4 weeks training purely outside (come wind or rain) and have learnt to ignore the cold- it would be interesting to see how far I could go on a treadmill now!

I'd say try to run outside. For you you could easily be able to match your treadmill distance, or you could be dying after two minutes. Try and find a relatively flat route to give you a fair chance, if you try rocky/muddy paths, you'll definately be beneath your tread mill distance :smile:
Reply 124
evertn4lif

Generally due to various factors(Wind, inclination , surface resistance) outdoor running is harder or more taxing than treadmill running, but like most you will find that your mindeset is greatly improved by running outdoors and the differance in performance will be very little.

If anything you should do it simply because it's harder(and therefore better training) you get fresh air, and scenery!

Just make sure your trainers are decent to avoid ankle/calf damage from pavement pounding.
i am hoping to run tomorrow morning as I have a free first :smile:
I actually quite like running in the cold, better than when its warm as I go so red! x
indie_couture

I actually quite like running in the cold, better than when its warm as I go so red! x

Same here, dry weather winter running is really awesome, as long as you dress properly for the weather. At the moment that's generally a base layer with a t-shirt over it, and either shorts, capris or tights depending on temperature, and always a hat and gloves.
Hey, does anyone on here run for time or distance?

I'm a 'beginner' and the local woman who's ace at 10k and halves offered to train me- of course this doesn't mean she knows anything about training.

I've been training now for four weeks (on to my fifth now) and she's telling me I should be aiming for 15/20minute sessions when in reality I do 15/45 minutes. Of course I don't run that far, but I like setting myself a route, knowing the distance and going for it. If I set a time limit I think I'd get bored!
Just come back from a run. About 40 mins. It was so cold to start and it was actually quite hard to breath but I feel nice and refreshed!
I run sometimes with my brother as a sort of side hobby my main thing for the last 2 years has been street dancing but Ive done loads of sports.
Going to run again tonight, same route as last night.
Running tonight hopefully 2k :smile:
I love running too. Nike + is amasing!
Just bought the new nike + lunarlites...black and orange one's... love them! Even tho there for mens ha. The colour was too cool.

How far do you run? normally 10km+
How long do you run for? around 1 hour -
Where do you run? either a hilly road run/ reservoir / mountain run
What do you listen to? My long distance playlist ha
Why do you do it? To stay in shape, feel good, enjoymet, fitness.
Do you have any aims?
yay i ran! the last bit of it i had like no energy and felt i was going slow!
kind of eaten loads though so will have been no benefit. got back, had some cottage pie, brocolli. Then a galaxy bar and some quality streets. Now i feel ill :frown:
Reply 134
Hi, I think you guys are probably the best people to get advice from! I want to start running to get fit, but not really sure what shoes I should get? I'm on a fairly tight budget so I need some that are fairly cheap, but I'm happy to spend a bit more for quality shoes! Any advice? Thanks!
Emma_B
Hi, I think you guys are probably the best people to get advice from! I want to start running to get fit, but not really sure what shoes I should get? I'm on a fairly tight budget so I need some that are fairly cheap, but I'm happy to spend a bit more for quality shoes! Any advice? Thanks!

Cheapest pair I found were £80- but they did go up to £100.

It's safest if you go into a proper sports shop where they can advise you on your running style. Many people over pronationate (or something- basically run on the outside of their foot) or the other one which I can never remember (running on the inside of their foot). I personally run normally but did worry I pronationated.

Different running shoes are designed to help with each of these styles and if you buy on which isn't suited to your foot it can lead to shin splints or a stress fracture so I throughly advise you get proper advice while there. They may make you walk/jog on a treadmill or walk up and down the shop to check this out.

Hope this helps :smile:
Giggles128
I love running too. Nike + is amasing!
Just bought the new nike + lunarlites...black and orange one's... love them! Even tho there for mens ha. The colour was too cool.

How far do you run? normally 10km+
How long do you run for? around 1 hour -
Where do you run? either a hilly road run/ reservoir / mountain run
What do you listen to? My long distance playlist ha
Why do you do it? To stay in shape, feel good, enjoymet, fitness.
Do you have any aims?

Seriously? You like the Nike+? I found it so annoying- even though it's great for the website, it just didn't seem very accurate. Saying that, I did want the heart rate monitor as well which I got with my garmin :smile:
Reply 137
manx1991
Cheapest pair I found were £80- but they did go up to £100.

It's safest if you go into a proper sports shop where they can advise you on your running style. Many people over pronationate (or something- basically run on the outside of their foot) or the other one which I can never remember (running on the inside of their foot). I personally run normally but did worry I pronationated.

Different running shoes are designed to help with each of these styles and if you buy on which isn't suited to your foot it can lead to shin splints or a stress fracture so I throughly advise you get proper advice while there. They may make you walk/jog on a treadmill or walk up and down the shop to check this out.

Hope this helps :smile:

You don't really need to spend that amount of money on a pair of shoes unless you plan on running at least 4 times a week.... You can get a more than good enough pair for £50
Emma_B

A little unethical, but go to a running shop and get fitted, then either wait for the sales after Christmas and buy them, or order online.
go to aldi - i got a pair of spare running shoes there and the lasted ages, really comfy, and a complete bargain.
ive also got a pair of asics but im yet to break them in properly

Latest