The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

going to run tomorrow morning, try and increase and decrease my speed but im usually too lazy. Might do some circuit exercises too.
sleekchic
How does everyone structure their running sessions? Let's say you have three running sessions a week, so you'd have one long race, one fast race and what it's the other one?

I have two track sessions a week, ie on an athletics track. One will be depending on what I'm training for in the summer. This week, keeping it relatively light, was 8 x 500m with approx 80 second recovery. The other track session is speed based and will generally consist of 200m reps with more recovery. This week was 3 sets of 4 x 200m with approx 80 sec again.

Apart from that I usually do 10-12 mile runs on Sundays, and 6-7 mile runs on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. Friday is generally the rest day, and I generally substitute this for the day before a race if racing.

Bear in mind this is strictly summer training for me. Massive upheaval for the winter; much more mileage then.
sleekchic
How does everyone structure their running sessions? Let's say you have three running sessions a week, so you'd have one long race, one fast race and what it's the other one?

Well firstly, you wouldn't have one long 'race', or fast 'race' they'd be runs :p: And for me- when I can be bothered- I try to do an easy run every day and at least 1 (though I should be aiming at more) speed session and hill session.
sleekchic

1 midweek sorta-long run (7-10 miles)
1 long run at the weekend (about 13-15 miles at the moment)
2-3 other short runs during the week (4-5 miles each)
1 cross-training session (usually a 45 minute swim)
did my first HIIT session on my own running this morning. It probably wasn't properly right as i read if you do it right you should only be able to do 20m and i did more like 45m. I just kept running fast from certain points then jog recovery. It felt good and like i was actually working hard though so must be a good thing.
Reply 1385
I had to take a massive detour to avoid what was essentially an enormous herd of twitchy-looking cows, and my feet and ankles aren't thankful for all the potholes I made them go through as a result :frown:
Nice 15 miles this morning. Not too long nor too short - just right :smile:
blatchcorn
Nice 15 miles this morning. Not too long nor too short - just right :smile:

15 miles lol? your mental
ran this morning but could not manage a HIIT session. But i will tomorrow morning!
I just go for about half an hour - honestly get too bored if I'm out for too long :p:
did HIIT again this morning. Could go to an LBT class today but giving blood in a bit so really shouldnt.
ahh decided today to race 5k tomorrow night... not ran in over a week! haha, going with a friend this time though so she should drag me to sub 30
manx1991
ahh decided today to race 5k tomorrow night... not ran in over a week! haha, going with a friend this time though so she should drag me to sub 30

Good luck manx, you'll be fine. I'm gearing up for my 5km but it's still a few weeks away.This changeable weather is messing up my running routine! I managed to get out for a run this morning but the last couple of days it's been far too hot. Though I love the summer, I'm looking forward to autumn!

Amy
GreatOrmondSt
Good luck manx, you'll be fine. I'm gearing up for my 5km but it's still a few weeks away.This changeable weather is messing up my running routine! I managed to get out for a run this morning but the last couple of days it's been far too hot. Though I love the summer, I'm looking forward to autumn!

Amy

Thanks, I think I'll need all the luck I can get! Just planned to do my first 2 miles (which was kind of optimistic after no running for a week...) and managed 11 minutes (or rather, my quickest ever 2km on an easy run). Now I have very sore legs, a dodgy, bruised knee (hope that goes soon!) and a banging headache... tomorrow will be fun :p:
With risk of passing out due to no sleep, I'm going for a 5k this morning. Will be great fun... I'll get back to you if I live lol

On a serious note, I've had no trouble with my back or with shin splints so running outside is a win so far. Treadmill fails :biggrin: And you guys are great for motivation, btw.
Reply 1395
I don't think running too far on concrete is good for the knees (I usually restrict it to 5 1/2 miles). However spending more than 45 mins on a treadmill just becomes boring staring at the same wall. Need to find some big fields.....
I don't get bored on the treadmill because I have my headphones on. And didn't quite make it to 5k. Did fast 3k instead and then chilled for 20 min on my crosstrainer at home so that my muscles don't get cramped too much :smile: Now, to work and then sleep! (sorry for spamming the topic so much!!)

PS Motivational vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV1MRb87bOU He runs like crazy. 4:15 on max speed!!
ran this morning, planned on doing some HIIT but gave blood yesterday so though i would go easy. Also I have circuits today!
Its all about the sustained speed rather than the distance. Id rather run a fast mile than a gentler few miles, that imo is the best training path for cardio-vascular improvement
feet burn but improved my PB of my usual route by a few minutes :yy:

deceivingly warm today - i dressed for a potential downpour and lots of wind, but it was boiling. a bus went through a puddle and soaked me though :coma:

Latest