The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jeppasloth
You don't know where to run in DEVON? The place is gorgeous in every direction you fool!

Nah, Devon was easy, just go on the roads and i could be half an hour and meet no other cars.

I just moved to sussex uni. (near brighton) and don't know the local area, am cycling a bit trying to find nice routes to run/cycle...

Spoeaking of which, i need to update my profile info...
I went to my local park run today. It was at Cannon Hill Park in Birmingham and was so much fun. Easy 2.5 miles there, 5k race, easy 2.5 miles back to university. A proper warm up and cool down did my legs a world of good - they feel amazing now. Lucozade were there handing out freebies too :smile:
Went on a 10 mile run yesterday morning. It was better than I expected it to be, especially given that I raced on Saturday.

Only two weeks until my 10k. Oh man.
Reply 1783
graemematt
Hey guys! Anyone do the Sheffield 10k (tententen) this weekend? Was a good race but a tricky course I felt! Didnt really how hilly Sheffield was, haha! Didnt manage to get sub-40 unfortunately but wasnt far off :smile:

I was too slow to get a place and ended up being on the reserve list, but ended up going fell running in the Peaks with my club so I wasn't that bothered.

Yes Sheffield is hilly, though I have to point out that that route was quite modest! It was good weather though good race then?
Pigeon
I was too slow to get a place and ended up being on the reserve list, but ended up going fell running in the Peaks with my club so I wasn't that bothered.

Yes Sheffield is hilly, though I have to point out that that route was quite modest! It was good weather though good race then?

Ah wow, running in the Peaks sound intense! Good training guaranteed though I'm sure. And yeah, was a good race, really nice weather, at that time in the morning it wasnt too warm either so felt pleasent! Shall have to add it to next year's race calendar :biggrin: (i'm sure there'll be some kind of 11/11/11 going on :p:)
Anyone running the Birmingham Half-Marathon this weekend? It's going to be the first big race I have entered - apparently 15,000 are running and I have only done smaller races back home in Cornwall. Looking forward to it.
Hey guys, i used to be an avid runner nadn did like 4 times a week sometimes up to ten miles but have dropped off a bit after uni etc but i still go once a week if i can and play football etc.

But anyway i signed up for my first half marathon running in benefit of one of my friends very close mates (i didnt know them personally) to raise money for charity. Whats a good sort of time to do 13 miles??

i did 7.5 miles in about an hour and a bit tonight but i know i can do alot better than that i used to try and do 8.5 miles in an hour when i was at uni but it was at a hell of a push.
Reply 1787
Rogerio134
Hey guys, i used to be an avid runner nadn did like 4 times a week sometimes up to ten miles but have dropped off a bit after uni etc but i still go once a week if i can and play football etc.

But anyway i signed up for my first half marathon running in benefit of one of my friends very close mates (i didnt know them personally) to raise money for charity. Whats a good sort of time to do 13 miles??

i did 7.5 miles in about an hour and a bit tonight but i know i can do alot better than that i used to try and do 8.5 miles in an hour when i was at uni but it was at a hell of a push.

8.5 miles is roughly just over 7min/miles, so if you can maintain that pace throughout it'll be 1 : 32 .
7 : 15 min/miles = 1 : 35 half marathon

The course will heavily influence your pace; if the race you've booked is a road race, on mostly flat roads, then a PB is defefinitely achievable. If it's hilly or a combination of trails, then you can expect to be slightly slower. Have a look at the course info (assuming you've booked online) as this should whether the course is hilly.

The most important thing is to start off steady, as it's very easy to run too fast for the first few miles and then suffer later on in the race. Also make sure your nutrition is sorted, because this will make all the difference to both training and racing.
Reply 1788
For someone that hasn't been able to do any exercise in about 3 years and has very dodgy knees what sort of time should I be aiming for over 4.5 miles?

Edit: I'm not overweight or anything and I was a pretty good athlete beforethe injuries :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
meskell
For someone that hasn't been able to do any exercise in about 3 years and has very dodgy knees what sort of time should I be aiming for over 4.5 miles?

Edit: I'm not overweight or anything and I was a pretty good athlete beforethe injuries :p:

When I first did it I did it in around 45 minutes if that helps.
Reply 1790
That's about what I was expecting tbh. I think I'll aim for anything around 50 as good for the time being :facepalm2:
Don't do anything silly like sprint the final part to get inside a time. Also I presume all the running is to get fit for football? If so make sure you build in some intervals/HIIT or something, my body is dreadful at recovering because I mainly did long slow runs I think.
meskell

If you have very dodgy knees i wouldn't try running 4.5 miles instantly.

You could probably power walk that in just over an hour. Which hurts your knees a lot less. Or go for cycling it for a while.

(i've also read your other thread as well btw) I'd say grab a sports tracking app on your iPhone and try walking 90% with the occasional jog to start with. Then every time make it less walking and more running...
Reply 1793
MHorman
If you have very dodgy knees i wouldn't try running 4.5 miles instantly.

You could probably power walk that in just over an hour. Which hurts your knees a lot less. Or go for cycling it for a while.

(i've also read your other thread as well btw) I'd say grab a sports tracking app on your iPhone and try walking 90% with the occasional jog to start with. Then every time make it less walking and more running...

I have nowhere to store my bike without a very high chance of it being stolen :sigh:

Are there any tracking apps you could recommend and in what way would they help?
Reply 1794
Jeppasloth
Don't do anything silly like sprint the final part to get inside a time. Also I presume all the running is to get fit for football? If so make sure you build in some intervals/HIIT or something, my body is dreadful at recovering because I mainly did long slow runs I think.

:rofl: I most definitely would not do that, and by would not I mean would not physically be able to! I will probably be crawling the last 3 miles :mmm:

I would like to get back into football but I think I will leave the HIIT until I'm into the running a bit more as I want to check my knee's out first.
meskell
I have nowhere to store my bike without a very high chance of it being stolen :sigh:

Are there any tracking apps you could recommend and in what way would they help?

Well, atm i use sports tracker but that's a nokia exclusive( the ONLY nokia exclusive......) But i've heard good things about endomondo.

I reckon they help because it's a cool way of tracking your speed/distance when running and you can get heart rate moniters which are compatible with them as well.

And it's easier to just start and stop an app then try and make notes of what times you leave/get there. And this way you can try and get it slighter flaster each week until eventually you'll be running the whole thing and then it'll be useful for keeping on the right pace etc...
Argh, I havent been on here in ages. I havent run very much since starting uni either.
In the last week i have started running at the gym that i joined when i moved up here.
Usually i hate running on the treadmill, but recently i have enjoyed it. On tuesday i set a new 5k PB of 20.32 with a reasonable negative split, which i'm pretty confident i can get under 20 if i start off a little faster, so i dont have to max out the treadmill in the last km :P
Today i'm going for a sub 45 10k, dead even splits, although if i feel i have anything left at the end, i will crank up the pace a bit.
It would be great to have 2 new PB's in a week :biggrin:
I went running today for the first time since the end of the summer holidays. I got shin splints quite badly last time but have been in the gym and on the bike a lot between now and then.

I ran 3k today in just under 15 minutes and only slowed from a jog to a walk once where i had to(stupid crowds of people). I was impressed becuase over the summer i was struggling to run more than 1k wihtout having to break to a walk every so often.

Plan is going to be a 5k race beginning of next year at some point. May try for a 5k practise run soon and see how long it takes, i'll end up walking a lot near the end but should be under half an hour i reckons. Then get that down to like 25 minutes...
Did anyone do the Birmingham Half Marathon today?

I entered and got a new PB :smile: 1:25:20
I hate people with dogs. In other news my muscles are taking it in turns to die on me. I hate taking it easy though :frown:

Latest