The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
nearlyheadlessian
No, you will not be guaranteed accommodation:

"You are guaranteed an offer of University accommodation if you are a new single student and you meet the conditions below:

* Your online accommodation application is received by 16 August in the year of entry to University.
* You are UF (Unconditional Firm) on UCAS by 30 August in the year of entry to University.
* You reside outside the City of Edinburgh.
* You are studying at the University of Edinburgh for the whole academic year, starting in September.

We guarantee only to provide an offer of accommodation to all new single freshers who meet the above criteria."

DAMN... what do i do now?? :frown:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
anyone in Holland House?
Hiiiiiiiii!

OK so MyEd was really ridiculous all this time and my accommodation offer finally turned up.
Last week or something, I called them up and they said i have an offer of a chancellor's court room and ensuite and single and stuff.

But now, its a john burnett twin en-suite room! WTF!
SO strange!

Can you tell me what a twin room is like, anyone?
Its like one room two beds know?
(Excuse the stupidity, cuz I keep picturing two rooms with one common room type thing American Residence hall style :s-smilie:)
guardian123
Hiiiiiiiii!

OK so MyEd was really ridiculous all this time and my accommodation offer finally turned up.
Last week or something, I called them up and they said i have an offer of a chancellor's court room and ensuite and single and stuff.

SO strange!

(Excuse the stupidity, cuz I keep picturing two rooms with one common room type thing American Residence hall style :s-smilie:)

if you look here then it kind of explains it. it looks like you will have a large room and will be sharing it with someone else. i think the picture is of a twin room.
that's wierd that your offer has changed! :s-smilie:
Since YouGoFurther is having major site problems for me, I thought I'd start a thread to help people find their flat-mates.

I'll be self-catered in Sciennes, in Flat 3. Anyone else? :smile:
bigpan699
I'm an American student planning on studying at Edinburgh next semester (January '10), and I'm slightly concerned about being able to meet friends mid-year. I'm living in Ewing House in Pollock, and I'm definitely and introvert of sorts, not that dislike socializing or anything though.

When I lived in the dorms last year, I had difficulty meeting people. I just have a hard time being myself around people I don't know. I'm a really friendly, nice, and intresting person (perhaps could use some more humility), but it just takes me awhile to come out of my shell, and at first I can come off as just slightly awkward. I'll admit that I'm a little self-conscious too.

Anyway, any tips to how to make friends in Pollock (or just at the university in general)? I'm definetly going to join a bunch of societies, but I want to have friends in my house too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Aww, bless! Seriously, though, don't worry about it! When you go to tutorials and lectures you'll meet new people. Admittedly, it should be slightly easier for me as I'm sharing a small flat but a good tip my sister used was to have a door-stop and always keep your door open when you can. Striking up conversation with people going past you is a good start! :biggrin:
Anyone self-catering in Sciennes by any chance? :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:
When I confirmed my accomodation at Pollock Halls (Baird House) it said 'bed linen is provided but not duvets and pillows'. Does this mean if we want to buy our own linen (duvet cover etc.) we can?
Ok...a bit of a big decision to make now.

My mum has told me this morning that she will pay for all my accomodation. I didn't know she was gonna do this so applied for self catered-small room.

If she's paying then I want to go Catered with an en-suite...I think. Only problem is I'm a fussy eater. I don't eat pasta, rice or potatoes...and I'm a pescatarian. Also, I'm hoping to loose weight as well.

Any advice? Cos also, I'm being bought a flat in Edinburgh for 2nd year onwards so don't want to just make close friends with my flatmates then live apart from them after, and kinda be the left out on. I think pollock will be better for this as people will be moving in with lots of others after so It'll be less cliquey?

And what are the other perks of being at Pollock? Do you pay for the music rooms cos I play violin and don't want to annoy others with my practising. Also, at what times do you HAVE to move out. Cos I was hoping to stay there over Easter.

I'm kind of working on the hopes that they'll be soem people allocated catered en-suite who don't have enough money and would be willing to do a swap.

HELP!!!!!!
xRoseberryx
Ok...a bit of a big decision to make now.

My mum has told me this morning that she will pay for all my accomodation. I didn't know she was gonna do this so applied for self catered-small room.

If she's paying then I want to go Catered with an en-suite...I think. Only problem is I'm a fussy eater. I don't eat pasta, rice or potatoes...and I'm a pescatarian. Also, I'm hoping to loose weight as well.

Any advice? Cos also, I'm being bought a flat in Edinburgh for 2nd year onwards so don't want to just make close friends with my flatmates then live apart from them after, and kinda be the left out on. I think pollock will be better for this as people will be moving in with lots of others after so It'll be less cliquey?

And what are the other perks of being at Pollock? Do you pay for the music rooms cos I play violin and don't want to annoy others with my practising. Also, at what times do you HAVE to move out. Cos I was hoping to stay there over Easter.

I'm kind of working on the hopes that they'll be soem people allocated catered en-suite who don't have enough money and would be willing to do a swap.

HELP!!!!!!

Hey sorry I'm going to be totally vague here but if you check 3/4/some thing pages back there was someone allotted catered accommodation when he(she? :s-smilie: :o: ) didn't want it. I remember them asking about an additional loan or something.
AS1Student
if you look here then it kind of explains it. it looks like you will have a large room and will be sharing it with someone else. i think the picture is of a twin room.
that's wierd that your offer has changed! :s-smilie:

It really is wierd :s-smilie:

I just feel strange about sharing a room haha
I was hoping for a difference from boarding school but I somehow end up with a roommate anyway :cool:

oh well, its gotta be fun :biggrin:
Rosie0914
Okay, so I've been allocated catered accommodation. I'm happy enough being in Pollock, it seems nice and everything. However, it is at least £70 per week more than I expected to pay (and I really would not have spent that on food) and I am not in a very good position to pay it. Basically, my dad has an unsteady job and my loan won't cover catered accommodation when it would've self-catered. I know I can't change my accommodation, but I was wondering if there is anyway I can receive additional financial support seeing as I didn't choose to pay so much?

Also - I read somewhere that they clean your sheets for you at Pollock and I was wondering if this is the case?

Secondly

Hi Rosie.

This is a bit out of the blue and stuff. But, would you be interested in switching accomodation? I have an offer for Self catered New Arthur's place small room, at £3000 for the year.

What type do you have? I'm ideally looking for a catered small room with an en-suite. I believe that if we both phone up accomodation services and leave our names and our situation, then they would do a swap for us.
Reply 992
MyEd has updated to say an offer has been made, but they won't tell yet what my accommodation is, arghhh
Reply 993
Jubbzy
MyEd has updated to say an offer has been made, but they won't tell yet what my accommodation is, arghhh

In my case I had to wait four days before the link to accept my accommodation offer was posted. My advice is: just be patient :smile:
Reply 994
wilde_hewlett
Anyone self-catering in Sciennes by any chance? :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

Yeah, quite a few (me included), we need to start our own sciennes houses accom thread, it'd be easier to find each other then. Any chance we can do a sub-thread to this one? I have no idea about these things...
nearlyheadlessian
Your source is hardly very reputable if you need to turn to the internet for further information and verification! It seems unlikely, to say the least. Accommodation Services have been working rather differently this year so I would be surprised if they had none left this early in August.

And for what it's worth, I know two people from Hexham in the university - and I don't know very many people and Hexham's a small town, so I can only assume quite few of you make it in to the university.

You seem to be the one in the know! So please tell me, is there ANY chance they'll let me swap??
Reply 996
guardian123
Hiiiiiiiii!

SO strange!

Im in John Burnetts as well and the exact same thing happened to me!...but i decided not to do anything about it seeing as loads of people told me john burnetts is actually better :biggrin:
Mbrew
Im in John Burnetts as well and the exact same thing happened to me!...but i decided not to do anything about it seeing as loads of people told me john burnetts is actually better :biggrin:

hahaha
I hope it is :biggrin:

what subject are you doing? :smile:
Hermit's Croft 1 Flat 2 Room 2 Studying PE teaching anyone else!:smile:
gwebby
Hermit's Croft anyone? :biggrin:

I am - flat 2 room2 number 1 Hermit's Croft You?

Latest

Trending

Trending