The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

stressed_:x
My EE was a really enjoyable experience - I did it in History. "Was the legal abolition of sati (burning a woman with her husbands dead body) in 1829 more strongly advocated by the British colonialists or the Indian people?" It took forever to research and write, but it was very interesting and personally enriching. i sound like SUCH a nerd, but i think it's a great way to learn how to write a proper paper/dissertation before you get into the scary stuff at uni. 4000 words really is not enough - my final draft was 3994 words!!! I suggest you people still thinking about what to do make sure you choose something you feel personally attached to and think you would enjoy finding out more about. Also, try and do something connected to the career you would eventually like to pursue (i want to do law, therefore legal women's rights...) Seriously, it's a good opportunity so don't waste it on a topic you completely dread studying from the start!!

from what i read the topic sounds interesting.......so what was the conclusion i would love to know
Reply 1381
Hello. I'm new to the forum and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on a topic for my EE.. We're supposed to write them over the summer.
My problem is that I have way too many vauge ideas, and no specific ones.
-.-'

I'd like to write about something in either English, Psychology, Art, or even History.

I have some vague ideas such as:

English:
-Symbolism in Greek Mythology, or perhaps comparing/contrasting Greek and Roman mythology
-Edgar Allen Poe (The Raven?)...maybe a comparison to another poet/poem
-Supernatural elements of Shakespearean plays
-Analysis of another piece of literature such as 1984, Dr. Faustus, The Stranger, etc...

Art:
-Something to do with photography
-Creation vs. Capture in art
-The artistic aspect and/or history of the Tarot

Psychology:
-Something to do with Jung or Freud
-Something on sleep/dreaming

History:
-History/causes of the Salem Witch Trials (I'm afraid this might be overdone?)
-Astronomy vs. Astology throughout history, and divergence of the two

So. As you can see, I have an obscene amount of random ideas, and I'm getting kind of concerned about time running out and not being able to narrow anything down. It's almost like I have the ideas and I can narrow them somewhat but I can't think of what the 'point' would be?

Maybe I'm just being anal about it..

But if anyone has any ideas, either to specify my topics or to convey a 'point', I'd be very grateful.
Reply 1382
I'm outlining my EE now - well, not now now, but you get my drift - and I plan to have my first draft done before school starts (in three weeks).

It's in English A1 on "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman.
Reply 1383
my topic is on English A1, in two weeks time i would have to complete the whole EE thingy. BUT! i am still doubtful of my title -_-.......very worried.
let me tell you my original title:
Literary Juxtaposition:in Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness and Lord Jim.
is this title too broad? my supervisor told me that incorporating two novels in my essay would create a stronger argument.
but now, i am thinking of using only one of these novels.
any guidance here.....please?
i have vaguely thought of a title for this essay.
A Literary Exploration of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness....but i am still doubtful right now.
2weeks....no time.....wavering thoughts......no title.......gone case
thank you
ypooi411
my topic is on English A1, in two weeks time i would have to complete the whole EE thingy. BUT! i am still doubtful of my title -_-.......very worried.
let me tell you my original title:
Literary Juxtaposition:in Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness and Lord Jim.
is this title too broad? my supervisor told me that incorporating two novels in my essay would create a stronger argument.
but now, i am thinking of using only one of these novels.
any guidance here.....please?
i have vaguely thought of a title for this essay.
A Literary Exploration of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness....but i am still doubtful right now.
2weeks....no time.....wavering thoughts......no title.......gone case
thank you

I think the title is way too ambiguous/broad. Juxtaposition of what? Within "Heart of Darkness" as a literary feature, or are you juxtaposing the two novels, and in that case which specific thing?

As a moderator, I think one is looking for a title that defines the limit of your investigation and points to the central features of the essay. So, I would use a title something like this: "A comparison of the use of literary juxtaposition in "A heart of Darkness" and "Lord Jim" as a tool to build up the reader's sensation and comprehension of [some theme(s)]." I'm not completely sure of what you're doing, but I think this title is clear-cut, and leaves plenty of room to discuss the effectiveness of the tool...
Doing mine in Psychology (which I never took).
"The Role of the Amygdala in the Emotional Part of the Brain and its Importance"
But maybe I should change the title to something like thise: "The Role and Importance of the Amygdala in Respect to Emotions". Well, whatever. I'm too tired to think now and I have to get up again in 7 hours. *yawn*
First draft was over two months ago and I still haven't written even 1000 words. But I'm on my way! :biggrin: Oxford has great bookstores... well, I've only been in three and they had a larger amount of academic books than are available here. :b
I'm doing my EE in history.
I'm investigating the role of Douglas MacArthur on post-war Japan.The deadline is in the beginning of September,but I haven't even started writing..I've only been reading books about that subject and making notes..
I'm so screwed... >.<
i'd like to write my ee about "the catcher in the rye" in English.
Can someone please help me to narrow down to the research question or at least an idea to write ..
You could do a thing on how Catcher in the Rye was written just as the idea of a "teenager" was coming to be (due to longer life spans, etc.) Before the mid-1900s, I don't think the idea of a "teenager" truly existed. Though perhaps the 1920s were truly the rise of that...hm...

Anyway, I'm doing mine (in French!) on the French cultural exception. Basically, the intersection of culture and economic policy. I'm focusing on the audio-visual sector, since that's the most obvious application of the cultural exception.
The development of a fluorescent Pd sensor for use in ELIZA assays. (Chemistry)
Reply 1390
Philosophy. Havn't really decided title but it'll be something along the lines of
"An investigation of the Chinese Room and it's replies" or perhaps "Can formal symbolic manipulation constitute understanding?"
Oh! That's really quite cool. I wrote a paper on the Turing Test this year, and of course the Chinese Room dilemma was part of it. It's really interesting. Good choice!
Hi everyone, first time poster here.

So I'm stuck what to do for my extended essay. Could I do a study on a single piece of literature, like a very big English essay? The other thing I was thinking of was something along the lines of immigration in the UK if I were to do my essay for Geography. Any help/suggestions will be appreciated!
CrazyPyramid
Hi everyone, first time poster here.

So I'm stuck what to do for my extended essay. Could I do a study on a single piece of literature, like a very big English essay? The other thing I was thinking of was something along the lines of immigration in the UK if I were to do my essay for Geography. Any help/suggestions will be appreciated!

History is usually your best bet for an EE. I'd say, if you did the history of immigration in the UK, that'd be good. As far as an English essay, most I've heard of are comparative pieces (ie. you read two books of the same time period). However, my best friend is the English Lit. gal, not me, so I'll ask her about what she's doing and see if she can tell me more details.

If you're interested, I have the COMPLETE AND TOTAL EE GUIDE that I could send you. It's awful long, but if you have a general idea of what you want to do, it can be helpful.
I don't do History =(. I'm alright for the guide but thank you for the offer, I will have to speak to some more people about this.
CrazyPyramid
I don't do History =(. I'm alright for the guide but thank you for the offer, I will have to speak to some more people about this.

I wrote my essay in English A2 (comparative essay on one feature that was sort of present in both) and my friend wrote in A1 (on three short books) so I know a fair bit about both A2 and A1 EEs (whichever course you're taking). If you'd like to get more info or anything, just PM me :smile:
hi,
I am planning to write mine in Biology and was thinking of something to do with bacteria and cosmetics. But I am stuck as I cant really figure out a research question . It would be really helpful if anyone can help me design a research Q or give any ideas that I can develop
Thanks
I'm doing my extended essay in english, specifically on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. I've done it on a comparison between the film by Baz Luhrman and the play, and am wondering if this is allowed in the IBO rules?
Arabic A1 HL.
An analysis of the palestinian legend 'Naji al Ali' and his global influence.
I've been working on a topic for my EE recently and know what i want to do it in history:cool:

I just have no focused idea / RQ that i can use as of yet
I want to look at the action taken by the United States during stalin’s purges..... in terms of their action toward Russia - Their assistance towards Americans in Russia - Their Knowledge of what was happening ..etc

any ideas how to properly word my RQ or even if its a good question:erm:?
Thanks for the help

Latest

Trending

Trending