The Student Room Group
No it can't hinder your chances of getting a good career. It's under the disability discrimination act. Get on some antidepressants/anxiolytics and get it sorted.
Reply 2
HearTheThunder
No it can't hinder your chances of getting a good career. It's under the disability discrimination act. Get on some antidepressants/anxiolytics and get it sorted.

I dont think it is advisable to suggest OP gets on medication, that can cause worse symptoms than the original ones.

OCD can be very disturbing for the sufferer, and most people who have attacks, can almost always be linked to underlying anxieties they are having.

When intrusive thoughts threaten to invade OP, stop what you are doing, and if necessary close your eyes, and bring your own thoughts into play.

Say to yourself, `this is not what i want to think, and there is no reason for it`

Some people may think that is too simplistic, but i promise you, that if you take back the control from the invasive thought, you will diminish it.

Of course there is nothing wrong with going to your doctor, and i would recommend that, but it is not necessary to ask for any medication, because firstly, the fact you have mild OCD does in no way suggest you have depression,, and secondly, medication will only mask your symptoms.

I got through severe OCD and these types of thoughts without any medication, and it is just a matter of re-programming your thoughts and deflecting the negative intrusive ones, with the inner calm of your true mind.
Boho Patch
I dont think it is advisable to suggest OP gets on medication, that can cause worse symptoms than the original ones.

Can, yes, but there's a reason medical bodies have approved certain drugs for OCD - some of them do work. I'd say at least consider it as an option. If you have a bad time with them then stop taking them.
which job (apart from the military and possibly one or two other similar things) actually checks your medical record, seriously.

go to a doctor, get it sorted!
Please go to the Doctors and don't worry about your medical record, and bring up cognitive therapy with him/her first before medication when it comes to OCD, especially since you say your are mild form.

Hope it all works out. What could hinder your job life and so on, is if you leave it and it gets worse.
Get it sorted before it becomes too big a problem.

I was given sertraline for social anxiety & OCD, became emotionless and 'like a robot'. I came off them a year ago and still struggle with expressing emotions. They certainly helped with the symptoms, but if you're offered psychotherapy (some areas of the country it's more readily available), bite their hands off. Tell your GP you're worried about the potential side-effects so would prefer CBT-based treatment.

Latest