The Student Room Group

RAF + eczema

I have quite bad eczema all over my body (calves, knees, arms, hands, thighs, elbows - the lot) at the minute, with no chance of it calming down soon. I had it as a baby and the reason was milk however after cutting this out of my diet for three months I have seen no change and so milk is not the reason. It is very painful, dry and itchy and affects my ability to walk (on back of knees) and write (on my fingers). I am here to ask two things;

1. Is there any other way of finding out the root of my eczema as when I use steroids, the eczema comes back at some point?

2. Will this affect my application to the RAF if it’s sorted in time but with possible light scarring? (Looking to apply in a year’s time)
Reply 1
1. See a medical professional.

2. No-one on here, or in an AFCO, can answer that. The only way to find out if a medical condition will delay or stop you joining up is to apply and see what the doctors say. Be aware, though, that in the Armed Forces you can come into contact with chemicals that you wouldn't in civilian life, so a history of eczema can make you unfit.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
1. See a medical professional.

2. No-one on here, or in an AFCO, can answer that. The only way to find out if a medical condition will delay or stop you joining up is to apply and see what the doctors say. Be aware, though, that in the Armed Forces you can come into contact with chemicals that you wouldn't in civilian life, so a history of eczema can make you unfit.

Thank you for replying
I’m trying to avoid going down the doctor route as I’ve heard stories of people being rejected as it showed up on their record as having eczema. Also, I had been before for something similar (but not eczema) and they gave me a steroid but it came back after a few months so I need to know the cause.
Also, if I join up and get rejected because I am deemed unfit, I thought that meant you can’t reapply for at least 3 years (if at all)?
Reply 3
Original post by emilyfollin
Thank you for replying
I’m trying to avoid going down the doctor route as I’ve heard stories of people being rejected as it showed up on their record as having eczema. Also, I had been before for something similar (but not eczema) and they gave me a steroid but it came back after a few months so I need to know the cause.
Also, if I join up and get rejected because I am deemed unfit, I thought that meant you can’t reapply for at least 3 years (if at all)?

I'm an ex-RAF Recruiter.

Every case is assessed on an individual basis, so don't go by other people's stories as you don't know the full background. You need to honest on your application, whether you go to a doctor or not, which isn't always a factor. . If you aren't, you can be rejected anyway for giving false information. You have no idea whether you may have a reoccurrence and that puts a burden and a risk on other people. Whatever role you apply for, they are going to look carefully at your skin condition, given what's on your records already.

You'd be told if you can reapply after a medical rejection, as it depends on the rules at that time.
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
I'm an ex-RAF Recruiter.

Every case is assessed on an individual basis, so don't go by other people's stories as you don't know the full background. You need to honest on your application, whether you go to a doctor or not, which isn't always a factor. . If you aren't, you can be rejected anyway for giving false information. You have no idea whether you may have a reoccurrence and that puts a burden and a risk on other people. Whatever role you apply for, they are going to look carefully at your skin condition, given what's on your records already.

You'd be told if you can reapply after a medical rejection, as it depends on the rules at that time.

So, if it is on my NHS record as having eczema, there is still a chance of getting in?

Also, do you think it's worth finding out the cause rather than trying to just get rid of it so that I can then be sure it won't come back?
So, if it is on my NHS record as having eczema, there is still a chance of getting in?

Also, do you think it's worth finding out the cause rather than trying to just get rid of it so that I can then be sure it won't come back?

The problem you have is that eczma is both visible and recurring. If you had something like 'a summer cold' aka hayfever, which for most people can be entirely controlled by cheap and effective over the counter medications, then you can play the 'don't get it on your medical record' game. But you have acknowledged that you have bad and prolonged eczma, with no as yet discovered cause, and this is fundamentally a bar to service.

If you want to try the 'don't get it on your medical record' approach, then you have to actively find the source (and there may not be one that you can control) and get it 100% cleared up, before you even approach an AFCO. However, chances are quite high that something in your service career (fabrics, heat/sweat, food intolerance, petrol, oil or other lubricants etc) will trigger a reaction and then you might be medically discharged anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
The problem you have is that eczma is both visible and recurring. If you had something like 'a summer cold' aka hayfever, which for most people can be entirely controlled by cheap and effective over the counter medications, then you can play the 'don't get it on your medical record' game. But you have acknowledged that you have bad and prolonged eczma, with no as yet discovered cause, and this is fundamentally a bar to service.

If you want to try the 'don't get it on your medical record' approach, then you have to actively find the source (and there may not be one that you can control) and get it 100% cleared up, before you even approach an AFCO. However, chances are quite high that something in your service career (fabrics, heat/sweat, food intolerance, petrol, oil or other lubricants etc) will trigger a reaction and then you might be medically discharged anyway.

Is it worth even applying if I can’t get the job or will lose it at some point?
Is it worth even applying if I can’t get the job or will lose it at some point?

The only way you can find out if you will pass the medical is to make an application. The process is long and multi-stage and the medical comes early on. Realistically, I think you will fail the medical, but I'm not a medical doctor, and the only way you will know is to apply and get that far through the process.

Quick Reply

Latest