The Student Room Group

I was wandering if my son with ADHD will be rejected from the army?

My son is looking to join the army and he has been diagnosed with ADHD when he was 21 years old. He went 1 year on stimulant ADHD medicine from then on, then stopped for 3 years. He became second in the British bench press championship when he was 23 but he has some unusual instances on his medical health record. When he was 15 he branded viking runes on his wrist, because he thought it was cool and a test of strength, but his mother freaked and thought it was depression, and they went to the doctor, and nothing became of it, apart from it being a weird instance, and it was noted on his health record that it happened. When he was 19 he got in argument with his mother, and left the house saying he is going to kill himself and his mum did a similar thing again and phoned the police, he had to get taken to the doctor because of it. He then explained himself to the doctor, explained how he wanted to go to the army and he has only good intentions for his life, but somehow in the story it got said he took lsd the night before and the doctor said to me he was doing him a favour by putting drug induced psychosis on his record keeping the army in mind. He took antipsychotic medication for a couple of weeks and never continued the medicine and nothing became of it. He has these blips on his health record but he is a disciplined, kind, nice person, it doesn’t say depression or any other mental health problems, just ADHD, will he be able to join the army? Specifically the parachute regiment?
Original post by Jack4172
My son is looking to join the army and he has been diagnosed with ADHD when he was 21 years old. He went 1 year on stimulant ADHD medicine from then on, then stopped for 3 years. He became second in the British bench press championship when he was 23 but he has some unusual instances on his medical health record. When he was 15 he branded viking runes on his wrist, because he thought it was cool and a test of strength, but his mother freaked and thought it was depression, and they went to the doctor, and nothing became of it, apart from it being a weird instance, and it was noted on his health record that it happened. When he was 19 he got in argument with his mother, and left the house saying he is going to kill himself and his mum did a similar thing again and phoned the police, he had to get taken to the doctor because of it. He then explained himself to the doctor, explained how he wanted to go to the army and he has only good intentions for his life, but somehow in the story it got said he took lsd the night before and the doctor said to me he was doing him a favour by putting drug induced psychosis on his record keeping the army in mind. He took antipsychotic medication for a couple of weeks and never continued the medicine and nothing became of it. He has these blips on his health record but he is a disciplined, kind, nice person, it doesn’t say depression or any other mental health problems, just ADHD, will he be able to join the army? Specifically the parachute regiment?

Honestly, I really doubt he'll be accepted based on what you've said. The army are very VERY strict on medical requirements, you basically have to be 100% fit and healthy with no medical complications. The fact that his family kept reporting him to the doctors over every petty little thing isn't exactly helpful either, because that's also now on his medical record forever. Of course I'm not occupational health for the army so I don't know what they'll say, but he can still apply and see what they say but personally I wouldn't keep my hopes up...
Reply 2
It doesn’t say depression anywhere on his health record.
It doesn’t say depression anywhere on his health record.

But most likely the army will contact his doctor and ask for his whole medical history? So they will probably mention about the fact that he said he's going to kill himself etc. I personally don't think the medical for the army is as easy as just having to fill out a sheet of paper with 10 "do you have xyz" questions, with just a simple yes or no box to tick, and that's it. I'm pretty certain it's much more in depth, and they will ask for any medical issues as well as any mental health related issues. Threatening to kill yourself may show mental instability and he could be rejected just for that alone. Have a look online on the army's medical requirements, it may say something about ADHD
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
My son is looking to join the army and he has been diagnosed with ADHD when he was 21 years old. He went 1 year on stimulant ADHD medicine from then on, then stopped for 3 years. He became second in the British bench press championship when he was 23 but he has some unusual instances on his medical health record. When he was 15 he branded viking runes on his wrist, because he thought it was cool and a test of strength, but his mother freaked and thought it was depression, and they went to the doctor, and nothing became of it, apart from it being a weird instance, and it was noted on his health record that it happened. When he was 19 he got in argument with his mother, and left the house saying he is going to kill himself and his mum did a similar thing again and phoned the police, he had to get taken to the doctor because of it. He then explained himself to the doctor, explained how he wanted to go to the army and he has only good intentions for his life, but somehow in the story it got said he took lsd the night before and the doctor said to me he was doing him a favour by putting drug induced psychosis on his record keeping the army in mind. He took antipsychotic medication for a couple of weeks and never continued the medicine and nothing became of it. He has these blips on his health record but he is a disciplined, kind, nice person, it doesn’t say depression or any other mental health problems, just ADHD, will he be able to join the army? Specifically the parachute

What you've described here isn't conducive for a career in any branch of the military, eg substance misuse with ADHD, bearing in mind that the medical entry standards are common to all the Services. Furthermore, coping with civilian life is in no way an indication that someone will manage the stress of military training or their job and the extra responsibilities that go with it, given that they have to function as part of a team and handle weapons.

However, no-one on here or in the AFCO can say if your son can join up; the only way for him to find out if he is fit to join is to apply.

Ex-RAF Recruiter
Reply 5
ADHD used to be a bar to recruitment, however there is a new 2021 JSP 950 Medical Policy which addresses ADHD and that an applicant must be stimulant free for a minimum of 1 year prior to application. From there, it would be determined if he can undergo recruitment by things like comorbidity with any other mental health issues, age at diagnosis, any substance misuse etc in order to determine if medical reports outline normal adolescent behaviours or present depressive and anxious disorders. If there is comorbidity between mental disorders and substance misuse in his medical notes, this is an automatic bar to entry. My advice would be to apply for his medical records and see exactly what and how things have been noted down by a doctor and speak to an AFCO.
Original post by BlackHawk
ADHD used to be a bar to recruitment, however there is a new 2021 JSP 950 Medical Policy which addresses ADHD and that an applicant must be stimulant free for a minimum of 1 year prior to application. From there, it would be determined if he can undergo recruitment by things like comorbidity with any other mental health issues, age at diagnosis, any substance misuse etc in order to determine if medical reports outline normal adolescent behaviours or present depressive and anxious disorders. If there is comorbidity between mental disorders and substance misuse in his medical notes, this is an automatic bar to entry. My advice would be to apply for his medical records and see exactly what and how things have been noted down by a doctor and speak to an AFCO.

Blackhawk? 8 hours ago? That's some necro-account retreival! Welcome back :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by BlackHawk
My advice would be to apply for his medical records and see exactly what and how things have been noted down by a doctor and speak to an AFCO.

The AFCO staff cannot comment on individual medical cases. A full application would need to be submitted.

Quick Reply

Latest