The Student Room Group

Subjunctive help needed!

If you need to use a phrase that should be followed by the subjunctive, but which is also in the past or the future, do you not use the subjunctive. There is a past subjunctive but we're been told not to use it as it is hardly ever used in french?

so...for example.. would you have:

avant que j'ai eu 8 ans

il est probable qu'il sera seul

instead of using the subjuntive?

thanks (hope that makes sense!)
Reply 1
My teacher told me that using the present subjunctive even though you mean the past tense (you know what I mean lol) is fine in French. Don't know about the future! Perhaps just avoid subjunctive phrases!!
Reply 2
Tubbler
If you need to use a phrase that should be followed by the subjunctive, but which is also in the past or the future, do you not use the subjunctive. There is a past subjunctive but we're been told not to use it as it is hardly ever used in french?

so...for example.. would you have:

avant que j'ai eu 8 ans

il est probable qu'il sera seul

instead of using the subjuntive?

thanks (hope that makes sense!)

General rule: stick to the present subjunctive. Learning the imperfect subjuctive is not worth the effort. You could learn an odd example of the perfect subjuctive if you want to show off. How about learning

Le plus grand problème (désastre, etc.) que nous ayons jamais connu (vu, confronté, etc.)

Otherwise, stick to the present

Il a volé ma voiture sans que je le voie...

J'espère que je pourrai sortir sans qu'elle m'entende...

For your examples above

avant l'âge de 8 ans

Il est possible qu'il soit (se trouve is probably better, but not obviously subjunctive) seul quand sa mère mourra... (après la mort de sa mère)

The imperfect subjunctive, being ultra-correct, (like the past historic) often makes the French smile, in the same way that something like "Would that I had been aware at the time..." or "Whether he be willing or not..." might do in English.

Let's see what the Francophones think of this way to say "I didn't do it; but I nearly did." using Past Historic and Imperfect subjunctive!

Je ne le fis pas, mais il s'en fallut de peu que je le fisse!

Aitch
Reply 3
ah-ha! thanks

so, generally future and subj = use present subjunctive anyway
past and subj = use present subjunctive anyway

so you work out if its in the past or future from the context?
Reply 4
Tubbler
ah-ha! thanks

so, generally future and subj = use present subjunctive anyway
past and subj = use present subjunctive anyway

so you work out if its in the past or future from the context?

Yes. Just use the present subjunctive, whether the main verb be (!) in the present, past or future. You will make the odd mistake like this, but I don't think any board expects candidates to know and use any subjuctive tense other than the present at A Level.

Aitch
Reply 5
Ok thanks, the help was much appreciated!

Latest

Trending

Trending