The Student Room Group

How hard is IB?

IB it's all about working :smile: It's a very rigorous course, but it is also very rewarding. Please tell me more about IB - especially the science that you are doing and whether or not you find it difficult.

It would help me LOADDSSS if you could fill out this form:

Year: (12/13)
Subjects: (your HL and SL combination)
Favourite Subject: (e.g, geography)
Worst Subject (e.g., math)
Redo: (if you could rechoose your subjects, what will they be?)

THANKS SO MUCH <3 I have to chose my IB subjects in about a week and I really need all the help I can obtain.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What is this for?

Year: 13
Subjects: IB HL Theatre Arts, IB Environmental Systems and Societies SL, IB Math Studies SL, IB English A1 HL, IB Spanish B HL, IB Business & Management SL, IB TOK (but almost done! :biggrin:)
Favourite Subject: IB English, hands down.
Worst Subject: uhhhhhhh TOK hahaha excluding TOK, it would probably be Theatre or Business.
Redo: (if you could rechoose your subjects, what will they be?): Switch Business with IB History HL and drop Spanish to SL.

Can't wait til I'm done!
ps_iloveyou
IB it's all about working :smile: It's a very rigorous course, but it is also very rewarding. Please tell me more about IB - especially the science that you are doing and whether or not you find it difficult.

It would help me LOADDSSS if you could fill out this form:

Year: (12/13)
Subjects: (your HL and SL combination)
Favourite Subject: (e.g, geography)
Worst Subject (e.g., math)
Redo: (if you could rechoose your subjects, what will they be?)

THANKS SO MUCH <3 I have to chose my IB subjects in about a week and I really need all the help I can obtain.

Year: last year
Subjects: HL: Arabic A1, English A2, Economics
SL: Physics, Math, ITGS
Favourite Subject: Economics, possibly physics....
Worst Subject None
But if I could change a subject, I'd probably take Business HL instead of ITGS SL ( 4 HL's), and take math studies

Yes, IB is killing us....lack of sleep, EE, TOK essay, math and itgs portfolio, econ commentaries, english written tasks, essays, etc...PLUS college apps...but it is fun, you get to suffer with your friends!:p:
It's not hard IF you manage your time PROPERLY!!!!!!
Reply 3
Year: I finished last year.
Subjects: HL Biology, Chemistry, Geography, SL English, German and Math Studies
Favourite Subject: Geography :smile:
Worst Subject: Chemistry
Redo: If I was to choose again I'd do HL Geography, Biology, English and SL Abinitio Spanish, Art and Math Studies.

I wish that I had an escape from the classroom in the form of an art subject.
Year 2, I'm doing:
HL English A1, HL German A2, HL European History, Biology, Art History, Math Studies.
Favourite subject: English
Worst subject: Biology
Redo: I'd take Italian A1 or Spanish B instead of German, I'd take Art History during the first year so I'd have it done with, and I'd do Ecology instead of Biology.
Reply 5
~Viola~
Year: I finished last year.
Subjects: HL Biology, Chemistry, Geography, SL English, German and Math Studies
Favourite Subject: Geography :smile:
Worst Subject: Chemistry
Redo: If I was to choose again I'd do HL Geography, Biology, English and SL Abinitio Spanish, Art and Math Studies.

I wish that I had an escape from the classroom in the form of an art subject.

Hi there I am also planning to take HL Geography - can you tell me more about it? I am doing it now GCSE and I find population easiest :smile: And I also like hazards...resources are easy. Coasts are annoying D: And also case studies, but its easy overall.

Also I was trying to debate over SL Biology or Chemistry. I looked at some chemistry notes and all I saw was a bunch of math equations and I'm like "eeek". But biology there is SOOO much to memorize... D:
Subjects: HL Maths, Physics, Chemistry. SL Geography, English A1, French B
Favourite Subject: Physics
Worst Subject French
Redo: Nah I like my subjects. But I will say don't do 4HLs. I did HL English for a year which was just a waste of time to be frank.
Year 13.
HL Bio/Chem/History SL Math/English/Spanish

Fave is probably History.
Worst is Spanish.

Wouldn't change anything tbh.
Reply 8
ps_iloveyou
Hi there I am also planning to take HL Geography - can you tell me more about it? I am doing it now GCSE and I find population easiest :smile: And I also like hazards...resources are easy. Coasts are annoying D: And also case studies, but its easy overall.

Also I was trying to debate over SL Biology or Chemistry. I looked at some chemistry notes and all I saw was a bunch of math equations and I'm like "eeek". But biology there is SOOO much to memorize... D:

Hiya,
Regarding Chemistry I really would avoid it if you don't have a 'maths brain' like me! I don't think SL is as bad but still quite logical and applying equations to get answers and stuff. Personally I found that Biology was a lot more interesting, although yes it is a lot to learn. However, to be honest I paid little attention in any of the bio lessons and started to learn it 2 weeks before the exam and came up with a 5, I was pretty happy :smile:

Geography has always been my strongest subject but none of my class found it to be mch of a step up from GCSE. It basically expands what you learn at GCSE, we did a lot of population and resources, which was really interesting and there's a whole section in the exam about hazards, it's up to your teacher which hazards they teach you. Look up old exam papers or the course outline, that should help!

Hope this helps, just message me or quote me if I can try to answer anything else or whatever.
Reply 9
~Viola~
Hiya,
Regarding Chemistry I really would avoid it if you don't have a 'maths brain' like me! I don't think SL is as bad but still quite logical and applying equations to get answers and stuff. Personally I found that Biology was a lot more interesting, although yes it is a lot to learn. However, to be honest I paid little attention in any of the bio lessons and started to learn it 2 weeks before the exam and came up with a 5, I was pretty happy :smile:

Geography has always been my strongest subject but none of my class found it to be mch of a step up from GCSE. It basically expands what you learn at GCSE, we did a lot of population and resources, which was really interesting and there's a whole section in the exam about hazards, it's up to your teacher which hazards they teach you. Look up old exam papers or the course outline, that should help!

Hope this helps, just message me or quote me if I can try to answer anything else or whatever.

Yes, geography is pretty easy and I love population and resources the most. Apart from that - what else do you learn? What hazards are you doing? Also - do you have to learn coasts? D: D: Also how does they expand on GCSE? Like more theories or just more details?

Regarding on chemistry and biology - isn't chemistry more of just theory? I mean I can do math especially algebra and substituiting equations in (i like physics...but no way am I taking it for IB). Plus for history I already have a handful to memorize so biology doesn't seem like a very good idea. And alsooo sooo many things to learn D: But since you do both chemistry and biology - which do you think is the easiest? For SL Chemistry - how hard can it get? How big of a jump is it?

Also I agree with choosing an art subject - but there will be soooo much to do. So much work, but haha no exams so thats a relief. I dunno...should I do an art subject?
Reply 10
SuicidalLemming
Year 13.
HL Bio/Chem/History SL Math/English/Spanish

Fave is probably History.
Worst is Spanish.

Wouldn't change anything tbh.

Please expand more on biology and chemistry as I am currently having difficulties deciding between them. I am going to do SL Chem or Bio - please tell me which is easier? I enjoy them both - but I'm scared I might not survive biology as there is so much memorizing...and I am going to history which also requires memorizing!
Year: 12
Subjects: HL biology, psychology, german SL english spanish ab initio and maths studies
Favourite Subject: between biology and german atm
Worst Subject: spanish... but im thinking thats because its a begginners subject and started off really fast paced, should hopefully begin to get easier now
Redo: hmmm i think im good with them :L altho perhaps mighve doen standard maths instead of maths studies...
Year: 1st year undergrad, IB 2007-2009
Subjects: HL: English, Geography, Computer Science; SL: Spanish, Biology, Maths Studies
Favourite Subject: Geography [subject I have the most passion for] or English [subject which had the best lessons], throughout both IB years
Worst Subject: Computer Science - badly taught, boring, completely not what I was expecting it to be
Redo: The same, but switching out Computer Science for History, like I knew I should have done in the first place.
Reply 13
Aphotic Cosmos
Year: 1st year undergrad, IB 2007-2009
Subjects: HL: English, Geography, Computer Science; SL: Spanish, Biology, Maths Studies
Favourite Subject: Geography [subject I have the most passion for] or English [subject which had the best lessons], throughout both IB years
Worst Subject: Computer Science - badly taught, boring, completely not what I was expecting it to be
Redo: The same, but switching out Computer Science for History, like I knew I should have done in the first place.

I am going to do IB Geography HL as well! How is it? Is it a huge jump from GCSE? I find it really easy now at GCSE level and I love it! Especially population and resources and hazards (but hate coast D:smile:. Also...how hard is SL Biology? Thanks!
ps_iloveyou
I am going to do IB Geography HL as well! How is it? Is it a huge jump from GCSE? I find it really easy now at GCSE level and I love it! Especially population and resources and hazards (but hate coast D:smile:. Also...how hard is SL Biology? Thanks!

It's not a hard jump from GCSE to IB at all. I found myself enjoying pretty much every part of the course. Population is usually a huge part of the IB course, as it makes up one of just two options for the human section of the course. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would, but there is also the possibility that you'll be studying option B instead - which is development. The mandatory human section covers most of the first year, whilst smaller physical modules are done throughout both years, and usually some smaller human modules in the second year as well. The coursework is quite a bit harder than GCSE coursework, though, so be careful.

SL biology is, in a nutshell, great. There's lots of optional topics to study, but you should only be doing 3, so it depends on what your school teaches. I did neurobiology, evolution and ecosystems, which were great, but some of the topics looked like duds to me.
Reply 15
Aphotic Cosmos
It's not a hard jump from GCSE to IB at all. I found myself enjoying pretty much every part of the course. Population is usually a huge part of the IB course, as it makes up one of just two options for the human section of the course. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would, but there is also the possibility that you'll be studying option B instead - which is development. The mandatory human section covers most of the first year, whilst smaller physical modules are done throughout both years, and usually some smaller human modules in the second year as well. The coursework is quite a bit harder than GCSE coursework, though, so be careful.

SL biology is, in a nutshell, great. There's lots of optional topics to study, but you should only be doing 3, so it depends on what your school teaches. I did neurobiology, evolution and ecosystems, which were great, but some of the topics looked like duds to me.

Thanks for all that detail and your time! Lol now I am pretty sure I want to take geography. Many people make fun of it saying: "Isn't it just coloring in maps?" which kinds of pissed me off sometimes, but I can understand because in Yr7-9 we just colored maps in.

Oooh I love population! But I don't like settlement - is that a big part of the course too? Also, I heard that geography is quite easy so I'm definitely going to take that.

As for SL Biology - I really like biology but I'm scared of the depth we're going to go into. And that means memorizing...how big of a jump is it from GCSE?
Reply 16
Subjects: HL: History, English, Biology SL: Latin, Maths Standard, Spanish
Favourite Subject: History
Worst Subject Spanish
Redo: Would do Biology at standard and Latin at higher.
Reply 17
Year: 12
Subjects: HL Maths, Physics, Economics. SL Computer Science, A1 Spanish, A2 English.
Favourite Subject: probably CS since i'm finishing it a year earlier.
Worst Subject. TOK sucks.
Redo: I wouldn't change anything.
Reply 18
Year: 4th year uni (in North America)
Subjects: HL: Math, History (of the Americas), Chemistry
SL: Physics, English, Mandarin, Biology (which was my 7th course so didnt count)
Favourite Subject: History and Physics
Worst Subject: TOK and Biology
Redo: Won't change.
Reply 19
Year: 12 (IB1)
Subjects: English A1 HL, Biology HL, Business and Management HL, German B SL, Geography SL, Mathematics SL, TOK
Favourite Subject: English A1 HL
Worst Subject Geography SL
Redo: History instead of Geography, but I took Geography instead of History at IGCSE so I'd have to redo the past 2.5 years to make that change!

Latest

Trending

Trending