The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
missaphrodite
Ah, guessing that's why Nottingham's your first choice then?
How come you didn't apply for psych and PCN? Or for medicine?

Ha sorry for all the questions, just wondering.

I was thinking about PCN, but wasn't too keen on the idea of having any restrictions on my degree. Having said that, I might change courses to PCN if the university I end up at offers it. I didn't apply to medicine because I don't have three sciences, and it's always been a sort of unachievable dream in my mind. It was kinda too late before I realised I could realistically look at 6 year degrees (which don't really appeal to me anyway).
I dunno about what my first choice it, my list of preference literally changes order every day. Cba to change my sig with respect to preference order, I'd be doing it every hour!
Anna---K
I was thinking about PCN, but wasn't too keen on the idea of having any restrictions on my degree. Having said that, I might change courses to PCN if the university I end up at offers it. I didn't apply to medicine because I don't have three sciences, and it's always been a sort of unachievable dream in my mind. It was kinda too late before I realised I could realistically look at 6 year degrees (which don't really appeal to me anyway).
I dunno about what my first choice it, my list of preference literally changes order every day. Cba to change my sig with respect to preference order, I'd be doing it every hour!

Oh right.
I share much the same sentiment with regards to this :biggrin:
Reply 22
I'm not too sure anymore. Maybe health psychology.
Reply 23
GodspeedGehenna
Ah, I remember when I thought I was going to do postgrad Psych.. Then I started my undergrad...

:biggrin:

Stop putting people off, you! Just cuz you hate it and should quit, doesn't mean everyone else will.

On topic, i want to do a doctorate in clinical psychology and then do further training in neuropsychology and eventually become a clinical neuropsychologist :smile:
HaNzY
Stop putting people off, you! Just cuz you hate it and should quit, doesn't mean everyone else will.

Tbh, it's probably a good thing to have someone on here offering more realistic posts about Psychology. Otherwise, you would have a lot of people entering into something that they've only had biased, positive views of. People are capable of making their own choices, and they should have balanced information to do so.

Plus, it would seem as though most of the overly optimistic/positive views of Psychology as a career/higher education/postgrad are from students with very little experience of the subject outside of A-level.
Reply 25
*RedRose*
maybe forensic psychology...not too sure really

Whaat is forensic psychology?
Reply 26
GodspeedGehenna
Tbh, it's probably a good thing to have someone on here offering more realistic posts about Psychology. Otherwise, you would have a lot of people entering into something that they've only had biased, positive views of. People are capable of making their own choices, and they should have balanced information to do so.

Fair enough, yes they should get a balanced view.

GodspeedGehenna
Plus, it would seem as though most of the overly optimistic/positive views of Psychology as a career/higher education/postgrad are from students with very little experience of the subject outside of A-level.

I think it seems that you are referring to all people that would like to go into clinical psychology as "overly optimistic". Yes i agree some people who come out of A level saying "oooh i wanna be a clinical psychologist, i will earn so much money and its all glam" etc etc, those are the people who are not actually aware of what it entails or have any idea about what the job is about for that matter. But there are others of us who have done years of research into what it takes and how to be a clinical psychologist and have aspired for years to eventually become one. Yes it is damn hard and it can take many many years, i am all too aware of this, but it seems like you think that all first years who are aspiring to be clinical psychologists are the type i talked about previously who have no idea of the subject.
I also feel that after everything you have said to me, this is a bit of a personal attack.
Reply 27
I think it's fair enough to by very cynical about the mass of A-level students who want to be clinical psychologists. Just today I was at college and heard an AS student say to her friends "It would be sooooooooooo cool to be a clinical phsycologist!!" and literally the three girls she was with agreed and said they waz gunna be one too. It's infuriating how so many people want to go into clinical psychology without the first clue about what it entails.
Saying that, I was on the clinical psychology bandwagon at one point, I'm ashamed to admit. :blushing:
Reply 28
GodspeedGehenna
Grad Med.

I've had enough of Psychology and I'm only halfway into my second year. About a year ago I was one of the millions of Psych students who "wan be a clinkul psychologost".

This. Definitely this. I actually find clinical psychology really interesting and I thought about it for a long time before I applied for it. But aside from the fact that it is so, so competitive, I don't want mental health etc etc to take over my life, I want to do something completely separate.

But I don't have a clue what. I went to uni loving Social Psychology and hating Stats. Now I hate Stats (heh) but I also hate Social Psychology, it bores me so much. I like the Biological side best.

But yeah. Educational Psychology possibly, I worked in a primary school on my year out of uni and loved it. Possibly Sport Psychology or something sport related (yeah, yeah, no career prospects, waste of a degree, etc etc). I can't help it, I'm obsessed. What I really want to do is train as a sport coach...maybe I'll try and do Sport Psych to supplement that. :p:

/Essay
Anna---K
I think it's fair enough to by very cynical about the mass of A-level students who want to be clinical psychologists. Just today I was at college and heard an AS student say to her friends "It would be sooooooooooo cool to be a clinical phsycologist!!" and literally the three girls she was with agreed and said they waz gunna be one too. It's infuriating how so many people want to go into clinical psychology without the first clue about what it entails.
Saying that, I was on the clinical psychology bandwagon at one point, I'm ashamed to admit. :blushing:

Same here, and then I jumped on the forensic psychology bandwagon.

At the end of the day you very rarely end up doing what you wanted to do when you started, after your degree.

I started with Forensic Psychology, now I couldn't think of anything worse to do and am applying for PhDs within Psycholinguistics with the intent of becoming a lecturer.

It is just funny how things pan out I suppose :rolleyes:
I don't have any expectations. I literally want to go where the degree takes me. But I love psychology anyway, so it won't be a waste of time :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending