The Student Room Group

Acne Scars Regime

Let me just start from saying my acne has actually kind of cleared up, have been on Tetralysal for the past 6 months or so.
But its the scars that are doing my head in

Im asian, have dark skin. Its oily but only when i apply some sort of cream. I have a habit of washing my face in the morning with Dove soap, and applying Palmers Cocoa Butter, and then doing the same thing at night before bed- washing my face with Dove soap and and then cocoa butter.

But i feel using dove soap on my face twice a day is doing me more harm then good.

Can someone advise me on what to use? Ie what sort of soap i can pick up over the counter that I should use, how often etc?
How about...retin A? Also, there's a really good gel (I can't remember the name..Isotextrin), prescribed by a dermatologist. Fades scars very well. But what kind of scars? Is it hyperpigmentation or deep cave scars?
Reply 2
Erm... I dunno :s-smilie: Lol
Ive googled hyperpigmentation but its not those scars
Reply 3
Do the scars look like holes in your skin or just marks on the surface?

I would recommend Liz Earle's skin care range. I swear, its doing the world of good for my acne scars (but I have the red marks so...).
Reply 4
just marks on the surface
Reply 5
I just wanna get rid of the oiliness cos I feel its not doing the scars any good.

I was thinking of washing my face with Oxy Daily Face Wash in the mornings, and applying Palmers Cocoa Butter straight after.
And then at night time doing the same??
Those are ice picks scars, theres no internal medication you can take to remove them and as for external, regular facials, exfoilation and moisturisation.

Bio oil is an option but it's gunna take toll on your bank balance as you'll need to use it for about 6months to see effects

Cocoa butter is fine
Reply 7
Listen carefully. You have oily skin - oil clogs up pores - warm state for bacteria to breed - bacteria breed over hair follicles etc - swelling - spots. You use Dove soap, washed away oil - less spots. However, stripping your skin of essential oils = excess sebum produced by sebaceous glands.

Use Quinoderm. Absolutely fantastic. Amazing reviews all round and considered to be excellent by experts. Just a simple cream, cost about 3.50 from Boots, apply a thin layer to your skin morning and night, followed by Simple Moisturising Cream (without perfumes etc which can further clog pores). The Quinoderm (start off with 5% then gradually build up to 10%) basically strips away the oil that causes spots, unclogs the pores, peels away a thin layer of skin with the BP, thus exposing your pores to air, has hypoaxquiline (sp?) a strong antibacterial agent etc. Moisturise afterward and your fine. In the morning, use the Simple Soap. None of this dermataologist antibiotic/roaccutane **** - trust me, so many god damn years of acne trying everything and bang .... Quinoderm. Clears away big pus-like spots within a few days and you'll be virtually spot free within 2-3weeks.

I can't believe that after 7 years of raging acne I am now spot free with just the red marks now that are fading!!
Reply 8
Retinol-A gel is good for surface scarring, you can have it prescribed by your GP. It's worked for me in the past. Dermatix is another gel that is said to improve more significant scarring, I've read about people using it for acne marks but I've not personally tried it so couldn't comment on results. It's like £30 a tube though so maybe not one to risk buying without doing more research.

I used to have very bad acne, I was offered Roaccutane but didn't like the sound of the side effects at all. I chose to have N-Lite laser treatments and glycolic peels instead, very expensive but so worth it. Both have totally changed my skin around - it looks brand new, you'd never know I'd had problems. I hardly break out now and when I do it clears up really quickly. Only way to help the appearance of icepick or indented scars is to use injection fillers.

A totally at home, inexpensive treatment to do would be the aspirin mask - just make sure you're not allergic to aspirin first. The mask helps improve blemishes, redness and controls oil production. Aspirin is made from salicylic acid or BHA which is an exfoliant and also an anti-inflammatory, it's in a lot of acne products. You use 2/3 dissolvable aspirin tablets, add 1/2 a teaspoon of water and wait for the texture of the mixture to go grainy. At this point add some thick honey to help the mask adhere to the face better, then begin application. Avoid the obvious areas such as the eyes, nostrils and mouth and leave for 10 minutes maximum - aspirin is acidic don't try leaving it longer. Rinse your face with warm water whilst rubbing the mask around your face in circular motions. Once all of the mask if removed, use a toner and then moisturise. It's best to repeat this process about 3 times a week. It's certainly not something to do everyday. Although it's not dangerous as a negligable amount of aspirin is actually absorbed into the skin.
Reply 9
Lover's Knot
Those are ice picks scars, theres no internal medication you can take to remove them and as for external, regular facials, exfoilation and moisturisation.

Bio oil is an option but it's gunna take toll on your bank balance
as you'll need to use it for about 6months to see effects

Cocoa butter is fine

Hardly, it lasts for ages. I bought 200ml from here - http://www.nutrisun.co.uk/bsearch.asp?brandq=Bio-Oil# - and have been using it since at least May, usually at least twice a day and I've still got over half left :smile:

Whether or not it's helped I'm not really sure.
I've been using Bio oil too, a drop in the morning and more at night. It works wonders, takes about 2- 3 months but its worth it I think.
Reply 11
Bio oil didn't do much for me.

You should try apple cider vinegar as a toner. Buy some organic apple cider vinegar, make a 50:50 solution in a bottle with water, apply to skin using cotton pad once a day. I have had hyperpgimentation for about 4 years, along with some rolling and ice pick scars, I saw some improvement in the clarity of my skin in 3 days after using apple cider vinegar.
Quinoderm worked really well for me too, then I got lazy with the moisturiser and my face was covered in dry skin. If you can find the perfect routine with moisturiser + quinoderm then you're sorted.

Latest