The Student Room Group

Is there a more repetitive comedian that Russell Howard?

Scroll to see replies

He's not going to come up with new jokes for each interview is he? And he knows those jokes work because he's told them in front of audiences etc.

Better than making up new jokes that are really crappy :smile:
Reply 21
Why would he create new material when people are still entertained by what he has? And lets not forget his munterish charm :wink:
Reply 22
So you can honestly say you've never repeated a joke to a different group of people before?

He always has some new material, but it's not always easy finding new jokes. It's not like you can just sit in a room with a pen and paper and write a whole new tour from it, he'll repeat things to move from one topic to another.

And do you know why you remember the jokes he's said before? Because most of the time, they were really funny, so you remember them. If they were sub-standard, you probably won't remember them 6 months down the line. All comedians re-use material for a laugh or if their on the spot and have nothing interesting to say about the topic at hand. :s
Obviously you haven't seen Omid Djalili, but lucky for him, his jokes never gets old :rofl:
Reply 24
Frankie Boyle.
I love Reg D Hunter but he only has the one joke,

'I'm black, I'm black, I'm black...'
Comedians often use material from X place in Y place, especially their live shows.

As for RH in particular, I've seen him live and it was dreadful (though not as bad as Frankie Boyle) - his improv did make up for his set a bit though.
I honestly do not understand how Russell Howard has a career.
interestingly if he were not a "comedian" and worked another "job" I am fairly sure that I would still be able to say:

Chinaski
I honestly do not understand how Russell Howard has a career.
Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism
Frankie Boyle.
______ has a face like a ______
______ is worse than Kerry Katona/Amy Winehouse/Any politician
Scotland is cheap/fat/unhealthy/stupid/violent

I also loved Marcus Brigstocke's twitter impression of Peter Kay: "Who remembers Rola Cola? What are biscuits like? D'you remember eyes? What were they like when you were a kid? Who remembers remembering things? eh? What was that like? Remember that? You'd remember something wouldn't ya? Then say it."

Ahahaha. Agreed on both.
2 words.

Andy Parsons.

I now count the amount of times he starts a sentence on Mock The Week with 'That's like...' to make an analogy.
(edited 13 years ago)
Frankie Boyle. All he does is make AIDS jokes and joke about gay people/people with disabilities... still find him oddly funny though, in a puerile sort of way.

I love Russell Howard. He's not that funny, though his faces are (:tongue:) but he's too cute to flame!
Lots of comedians repeat jokes, in fact when i watch interviews with comedians i like they always include at least one joke from the material they use at the time. It's their job to make people laugh, if they make up a joke they want as many people as possible to hear it.

I happen to love Russell, going to see him at Liverpool Echo arena on Wednesday!!
Reply 32
I think dara o'briain is a comedian who consistantly can come up with new jokes, michael mcintyre uses the same ones but they stay funny.
The best has got to be Tom Stade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t90SfnAQ1TI
Reply 33
Far away in the tropical waters of the Caribbean, two prawns were swimming around in the sea

One called Justin and the other called Christian.

The prawns were constantly being harassed and threatened by sharks that inhabited the area.

Finally one day Justin said to Christian, 'I'm fed up with being a prawn;
I wish I was a shark, and then I wouldn't have any worries about being eaten.'

A large mysterious cod appeared and said, 'Your wish is granted'

Lo and behold, Justin turned into a shark.

Horrified, Christian immediately swam away, afraid of being eaten by his old mate.

Time passed (as it does) and Justin found life as a shark boring and lonely.

All his old mates simply swam away whenever he came close to them.

Justin didn't realize that his new menacing appearance was the cause of his sad plight.

While swimming alone one day he saw the mysterious cod again and he thought perhaps the mysterious fish could change him back into a prawn.

He approached the cod and begged to be changed back, and, lo and behold,
he found himself turned back into a prawn.

With tears of joy in his tiny little eyes Justin swam back to his friends and bought them all a cocktail.

(The punch line does not involve a prawn cocktail - it's much worse).

Looking around the gathering at the reef he realized he couldn't see his old pal.

'Where's Christian?' he asked.

'He's at home, still distraught that his best friend changed sides to the enemy & became a shark', came the reply.

Eager to put things right again and end the mutual pain and torture, he set off to Christian's abode.

As he opened the coral gate, memories came flooding back.

He banged on the door and shouted, 'It's me, Justin, your old friend, come out and see me again.'

Christian replied, 'No way man, you'll eat me. You're now a shark, the enemy,
and I'll not be tricked into being your dinner.'

Justin cried back 'No, I'm not. That was the old me. I've changed.'.........

'I've found Cod. I'm a Prawn again, Christian'
Reply 34
Original post by Jweldon5

The best has got to be Tom Stade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t90SfnAQ1TI

That guy's voice is hilarious. His meat van joke NEVER gets old!
Reply 35
* Frankie Boyle.
* Andi Ocho/Reginald D Hunter/(any black comedian, yes this is a generalisation but there's only so much "In my *insert country*..." blah blah blah crap and I end up turning over)
* Jack Whitehall (Usually mentions being posh)
There's just a few but some of them just take the pish.
Reply 36
All comedians are repetitive. I was quite disappointed when I realised that most of them reuse their jokes in interviews, on tv shows and on their tours.

Frankie Boyle, for example, used pretty much all of the same jokes in his autobiography that he used on MTW. Ed Byrne (I love him to death though), went on the Graham Norton show three times and used the exact same jokes as in his stand up shows.

It's just part of the job - they're trying to sell their tour tickets and their promoting it by giving small bits of the show in interviews and TV shows.

I love Russell, his show is great, nice to see someone focusing on the funny/nice side of the news instead of all the murders and rapes. And he seems like a really upbeat and cheery person.
Reply 37
YES! Lee Nelson is utterly diabolical. Howard is bad, but Nelson is something else.
Reply 38
Stewart Lee is the worst

... we get it, your repeating something over and over to be ironic, and then reference something you said earlier, insert anti-anti-mainstream underlying moral ... your pseudo-intellecual middle class hipster audience eats it up.
Reply 39
Getting a bit sick of him.

Quick Reply

Latest