The Student Room Group

The accommodation in Downing college of Cambridge

Hi guys I was admitted by downing college. Could someone tell me how the accommodation is in each band and the price? btw i also want to the facilities nearby and some lives experiences
I was also just accepted by Downing, I'd love to know more about this too. The website states that some rooms are en suite but there isn't a lot of information regarding the features of each 'band'.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
I was also just accepted by Downing, I'd love to know more about this too. The website states that some rooms are en suite but there isn't a lot of information regarding the features of each 'band'.

yessss so i really want to know how the room of each band looks like so that i can make the choice...
Original post by cheefun
yessss so i really want to know how the room of each band looks like so that i can make the choice...

Just to check, have you actually received an email from Downing? I can see that I've been accepted on the self-service /application portal but I haven't received any communications from them yet.
Hi, daughter started Downing in Sept and is genuinely having the time of her life, work is hard but she adores Downing, congrats to you all! So she applied for the top Band 1-3 (you can’t ask for a specific band just a group) which is the most expensive and goes up to £217 a week. She was allocated band 1 in Howard Lodge which is where a lot of freshers are. She has a huge double bed ensuite but a tiny kitchen. Her friends are mainly in Kenny A and Griphon and they have big rooms but actually better kitchen space, unfortunately there’s no way to specify which hall you prefer.

All rooms are pretty great in downing you won’t be disappointed so wouldn’t worry too much just pick the band you can afford, and after a few weeks you’ll be good friends with all the freshers (advantage of college system) and you can hang out and cook in their kitchens if you don’t want to go to slops (dinner). Wishing you all the best next year
Sorry should have explained the bands I think are 1-3 4-6 6-7 or something like that but there are about three groups - best rooms are groups 1-3 they are all big doubles and ensuite (I think) lowest prices last year were about £160 and the absolute best room in Howard’s is £217
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
Just to check, have you actually received an email from Downing? I can see that I've been accepted on the self-service /application portal but I haven't received any communications from them yet.

yeah i received the email from downing admission
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi, daughter started Downing in Sept and is genuinely having the time of her life, work is hard but she adores Downing, congrats to you all! So she applied for the top Band 1-3 (you can’t ask for a specific band just a group) which is the most expensive and goes up to £217 a week. She was allocated band 1 in Howard Lodge which is where a lot of freshers are. She has a huge double bed ensuite but a tiny kitchen. Her friends are mainly in Kenny A and Griphon and they have big rooms but actually better kitchen space, unfortunately there’s no way to specify which hall you prefer.

All rooms are pretty great in downing you won’t be disappointed so wouldn’t worry too much just pick the band you can afford, and after a few weeks you’ll be good friends with all the freshers (advantage of college system) and you can hang out and cook in their kitchens if you don’t want to go to slops (dinner). Wishing you all the best next year

thanku so much for ur sharing that is so helpful
Reply 8
Hi there, I was admitted too! Firstly, regarding banding, there is a complete table on the college website, with each band and their corresponding price range. As for my own experience - to echo the above, one of the reasons I applied to Downing is that even the lowest bands are really solid rooms, more than fine by my (admittedly pretty low) standards. Maybe we can use this thread as an unofficial Downing one! What courses are you guys going to be staying there next year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending