The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I went to a grammar school because I did well in my 11+, and so the work was harder. We were just like any other school with lots of different types of people. Where the heck do you live?
They say that everyone from my school is going to end up pregnant at 15 or on benefits because we're apparently all stupid. :frown:
Most of us didn't even take the 11 plus.
They laughed at me whenever I went into their school for a music exam as they could see where I was from from my uniform.
I've never experienced this from anyone I've met from a public school. Those from our local grammar seem very close minded.
They even started a hate group on facebook... my school's like a 20 minute drive from the grammar aswell, it's not even the nearest one..
Reply 22
Phonicsdude
It's cos we're clever, high achievers who dont pay for our education. Elite.

Love it!! :biggrin:
Reply 23
Dark Horse of the Race
Cos we're better.

So what about the rest of the country where there aren't grammar schools? Academic ability is based on geographical location, is it? I went to a low-ranked comprehensive, and I'm currently at a non-selective sixth form, and yet I'm off to Oxford for an interview next week; my friend from the same school had her Cambridge maths interview last week. I didn't go to a grammar school because there simply weren't any in my region. By your logic, that would mean that the entire population of my area is somehow collectively less intelligent, right?

That wasn't supposed to be a go at you, by the way, it's just a topic I get really annoyed about. You know, the whole "cos we're better" thing. It's no wonder grammar school students are so often (incorrectly) stereotyped as being snooty. :rolleyes:
NIGUKAE
Why do the majority of grammar school kids think they are better than everyone else. I moved to one for 6th form and they are all so stuck up. They constantly stereotype and insult minorities and working class people and are just generally stuck up.

i know, ******* annoying isn't it.
Reply 25
To be fair, a "Grammar School Kid" wouldn't call themselves a kid (what with the reference to baby goats etc). So you're already illustrating your inferiority right there. *bracing for neg rep*
Isabobble
So what about the rest of the country where there aren't grammar schools? Academic ability is based on geographical location, is it? I went to a low-ranked comprehensive, and I'm currently at a non-selective sixth form, and yet I'm off to Oxford for an interview next week; my friend from the same school had her Cambridge maths interview last week. I didn't go to a grammar school because there simply weren't any in my region. By your logic, that would mean that the entire population of my area is somehow collectively less intelligent, right?

That wasn't supposed to be a go at you, by the way, it's just a topic I get really annoyed about. You know, the whole "cos we're better" thing. It's no wonder grammar school students are so often (incorrectly) stereotyped as being snooty. :rolleyes:

I was joking, but I do like the way people get so riled up by it.
I don't think I'm stuck up! I went to a grammar school from year 7 to year 13, then got into a good university. I chose to go to a 'lesser' university because it's so much nicer. There's a reason why there is a group on facebook called 'Grammar School Students are Genuinly Better Than You' :p:

But seriously, I just see it as a school, if people want to be stuck-up then thats their problem. I come from a working class family and I consider myself working class. There were many at my school who had a lot more money than my family, but I didn't encounter any of this snooty business.
Um, I'm not sure they do. Some kids think they're better than anyone else... but you get that anywhere you go. Many of the above comments say that private schooled kids are like that, well their not either. I've been to both and it just isn't the case. The few that are full of themselves are most definately in the minority.
Reply 29
Dark Horse of the Race
I was joking, but I do like the way people get so riled up by it.

... hence the fact that I said "I'm not having a go at you"? I'm perfectly aware that the vast majority of comments like those aren't entirely serious. My problem is with people who seem confused as to whether they're being serious or not, and fall into the *we sound like we're joking but we're just being cocky* category.

And I'm sure you'd get a little annoyed too, if a sweeping statement was laid against you, albeit in jest. Jus' sayin' :rolleyes: .
Tsukuyomi
err im confused, whats wrong with my name

Well...

it's funny?
animalmad1992
grammar school people themselves dont think they are better, other people tell us constantly we are better,

I agree with what you say that other people tell us constanty we are better. I've found this completely; when we join in Year 7 all they've done since is say that we're in the top such and such percent of the country, how we should be constantly striving for excellence etc. I know it's bad, but sometimes when people keep drumming things like this into you, I find I actually begin to believe what they say, even though I know I shouldn't and that I'm not better than other people.
Dark Horse of the Race
Well...

it's funny?

:crazy: ok.....
Phonicsdude
It's cos we're clever, high achievers who dont pay for our education. Elite.

Or knobheads who need to be spoon fed every little detail? Opposed to us state school students who succeed on our own merit alone... :wink:
Reply 34
amie05
Because it's true?

You're stuck up because it's true?

:hahaha:
Reply 35
I've been to a grammar school since year 7 and I don't think you could ever say people are arrogant about it. If anything people are very modest and worried about not doing well! I don't think you can generalise all grammar schools from your own experiences.
I went to a grammar school, and yeah, minorities got insulted, but I think this happens everywhere. It's funny.

Or maybe I've been desensitised. I can't say that anyone I know behaves like they're better than anyone else though. :dontknow:
Marisa_Grace
I agree with what you say that other people tell us constanty we are better. I've found this completely; when we join in Year 7 all they've done since is say that we're in the top such and such percent of the country, how we should be constantly striving for excellence etc. I know it's bad, but sometimes when people keep drumming things like this into you, I find I actually begin to believe what they say, even though I know I shouldn't and that I'm not better than other people.

i dont agree with them now, even though ive been at a grammar school for 7 years now, may be its because of my low self esteem, but to be honest i think i just dont believe other people as much as most people do
Depends on the group. Anyone with money will always think they're better than everyone else.... even though they're not.
Reply 39
i kind of agree with him i moved to a grammar school...i found the people quite naive and they generally like cheesey jokes.

Latest

Trending

Trending