The Student Room Group

one day exclusion in year 10 please help im going crazy

i got a one day exclusion at start of year 10 for vaping once in the toilets which i said it was because i was peer pressured by other people
this goes on my permanent record but i just want to know if i dont have incidents like this ever again and get good grades (i generally get 9s-8s on reports) in my gcses would i still have a chance to go to a good sixth form (like a grammar school for example tiffins)
just saying this was my first exclusion, ive had no detentions, or internal exclusions before and i already go to a grammar school
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by idontcare111234
i got a one day exclusion at start of year 10 for vaping once in the toilets which i said it was because i was peer pressured by other people
this goes on my permanent record but i just want to know if i dont have incidents like this ever again and get good grades (i generally get 9s-8s on reports) in my gcses would i still have a chance to go to a good sixth form (like a grammar school for example tiffins)
just saying this was my first exclusion, ive had no detentions, or internal exclusions before and i already go to a grammar school

Was it an external exclusion [you had to stay at home]?

First of all you shouldn't have done that but no I don't think so as long as u don't do it again. I know really bad kids that still got into sixth forms
Original post by Muttley79
Was it an external exclusion [you had to stay at home]?

yes but the school arranged for me to go to some other school for the day and do the work over there but it is an external exclusion
Original post by ashhhhhyyyyyyyyy
First of all you shouldn't have done that but no I don't think so as long as u don't do it again. I know really bad kids that still got into sixth forms

ofc but would i still be able to get into a good sixth form (a good grammar school) is my question
(edited 6 months ago)
ofc but would i still be able to get into a good sixth form (a good grammar school) is my question

well tbh, it depends. if the sixth forms you are applying see your permanent record, then that would be a bit unfortunate. but please make this a one-off and you should stop hanging about with the people who peer pressured you. trust me, if you want to get into a good sixth form, i recommend reconsidering your social circle
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by emm4nuella
well tbh, it depends. if the sixth forms you are applying see your permanent record, then that would be a bit unfortunate. but please make this a one-off and you should stop hanging about with the people who peer pressured you. trust me, if you want to get into a good sixth form, i recommend reconsidering your social circle

alright but in what circumstances do sixth forms check your records. do they check everyones records or only if you are competing for a place with another student. and if i do make this a one off and get good grades would they outweigh the exclusion. my current school did say they would consider me if i got good grades on my gcses but their sixth form isnt the best thats why im asking
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 7
alright but in what circumstances do sixth forms check your records. do they check everyones records or only if you are competing for a place with another student. and if i do make this a one off and get good grades would they outweigh the exclusion. my current school did say they would consider me if i got good grades on my gcses but their sixth form isnt the best thats why im asking

They can't check your records but it could be in a reference. To be honest, as it was a one-off, I doubt your school would mention it. Why not talk to a HOY about it?

aah i see! i mean, if the sixth form asks for a reference, then a head of year or your form tutor might make a comment about the exclusion, because thats a key factor! but yeah im guessing the grades will hopefully outweigh the exclusion! bscly, it depends if the sixth forms you are applying for asks for a reference, and what your school teachers say

yes i forgot you were in year 10! you should be fine - yeah just let this be a one off and focus on achieving your academic goals :biggrin:!

I mean ur stressing for no reason. As long as it doesnt keep happening thats fine and u dont apply to college till next yr so u should be fine. Also it depends on who writes your reference and what they write in it. School might not even mention it as it will be the new yr.
Original post by emm4nuella
yes i forgot you were in year 10! you should be fine - yeah just let this be a one off and focus on achieving your academic goals :biggrin:!

okok thanks so much!!
They can't check your records but it could be in a reference. To be honest, as it was a one-off, I doubt your school would mention it. Why not talk to a HOY about it?

alright ill talk to some of my teachers on what they think
alright ill talk to some of my teachers on what they think

No, not a teacher as they won't be writing a reference. It'd be someone like a Head of Year
No, not a teacher as they won't be writing a reference. It'd be someone like a Head of Year

oh
i mean by the time its yr11 and time for them to write references i would have made changes to behviour so theyre less likely to mention it?
my head of year is generlly rlly nice as well
oh
i mean by the time its yr11 and time for them to write references i would have made changes to behviour so theyre less likely to mention it?
my head of year is generlly rlly nice as well

Are you in Year 11 now? You'll be applying in the next few months
Are you in Year 11 now? You'll be applying in the next few months

nope year 10
nope year 10

So this is recent then? Put your head down and work hard ... change your 'friends'.
So this is recent then? Put your head down and work hard ... change your 'friends'.

right.. will do
Reply 19
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think state schools are allowed to determine admissions based on behaviour record.

Quoted from School Admissions Code 2021:

Spoiler

You're good mate. Work hard getting those predicted grades and best of luck getting into tiffins
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending