The Student Room Group

GCSE - all 9s/mostly 9s possible?

I got my mock results back like a week or two ago, and I'm not sure if I'm able to get all 9s / mostly 9s.

My mock results:
Maths - 9
All sciences - 9
English Lang - 8
English lit - 7
French - 6
RS/RP - 7
Drama - 8
Geography - 8

I only revised a week before the exams and during. I'm starting to properly revise now for my GCSEs, so is it possible to do this? (p.s. I go to a grammar school if that's anything)
Original post by studyfor9s
I got my mock results back like a week or two ago, and I'm not sure if I'm able to get all 9s / mostly 9s.

My mock results:
Maths - 9
All sciences - 9
English Lang - 8
English lit - 7
French - 6
RS/RP - 7
Drama - 8
Geography - 8

I only revised a week before the exams and during. I'm starting to properly revise now for my GCSEs, so is it possible to do this? (p.s. I go to a grammar school if that's anything)
I reckon that its definitely doable!!
I got a 9 in French, I recommend - memrise, quizlet, past papers, consistent grammar practice, lots of translation practice, practice speaking with friends
My mock results:
Maths - 9
All sciences - 9
English Lang - 8
English lit - 7
French - 6
RS/RP - 7
Drama - 8
Geography - 8
Definitely possible, I got all 9s last year with similar mock grades to you. (I even got a 5 in my english lit mock)

For languages, just make sure you know some complex grammar structures, even if you learn some phrases word for word, as grammar gives a lot of marks in the writing and speaking. You can also go through the exam boards vocab list and find words that might be useful and learn those, knowing vocab definitely helps for listening and reading.

For english lit, just make sure you learn how to do unseen poetry well cause many people neglect it, and for the rest I recommend making essay plans for the most common topics. If you're ever asked about something you haven't prepared for you will have a solid enough base to work with.

I can't really help with the rest but the CGP books are really useful, since they make sure you know what you don't know. So then you can focus on those areas.
Reply 3
Original post by erin11
I reckon that its definitely doable!!
I got a 9 in French, I recommend - memrise, quizlet, past papers, consistent grammar practice, lots of translation practice, practice speaking with friends
thanks! do you have a link to any of the quizlets you found useful?
Reply 4
Original post by auroraflight
Definitely possible, I got all 9s last year with similar mock grades to you. (I even got a 5 in my english lit mock)
For languages, just make sure you know some complex grammar structures, even if you learn some phrases word for word, as grammar gives a lot of marks in the writing and speaking. You can also go through the exam boards vocab list and find words that might be useful and learn those, knowing vocab definitely helps for listening and reading.
For english lit, just make sure you learn how to do unseen poetry well cause many people neglect it, and for the rest I recommend making essay plans for the most common topics. If you're ever asked about something you haven't prepared for you will have a solid enough base to work with.
I can't really help with the rest but the CGP books are really useful, since they make sure you know what you don't know. So then you can focus on those areas.
congrats on ur results! how long did spend a day revising, and when did u start properly? also if there are any useful revision techniques, pls lmk!! thanks
congrats on ur results! how long did spend a day revising, and when did u start properly? also if there are any useful revision techniques, pls lmk!! thanks
Honestly, I really didn't start revising until easter and even then I only revised when I felt like it maybe for about 2-3 hrs a day if I was in the mood, but other days I'd procrastinate and do nothing at all. One thing I would definitely recommend is just focus on the things your most weak at, I revised for most of my other subjects that I didn't find too tricky in between my exams.

For revision techniques, I pretty much got a pad of paper went through the CGP books and wrote down everything in my own words that wasn't completely obvious to me. Even if I never looked at it again, the act of writing everything down was enough to get a lot of to stick, and if not I'd remember that I didn't remember that bit so I could learn it just before the exam (very last minute I know).

If you're finding it hard to work for extended periods of time, you can try 25 mins on, 5 mins off, 25 mins on, 5 mins and I could work for a good 2-3hrs like that. Also don't get too fixated on how to revise just do it!! Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great.
Reply 6
My mock results:
Maths - 9
All sciences - 9
English Lang - 8
English lit - 7
French - 6
RS/RP - 7
Drama - 8
Geography - 8
Quick Question: What's your revision routine for maths? I'm currently at a grade 7
Reply 7
Original post by auroraflight
Honestly, I really didn't start revising until easter and even then I only revised when I felt like it maybe for about 2-3 hrs a day if I was in the mood, but other days I'd procrastinate and do nothing at all. One thing I would definitely recommend is just focus on the things your most weak at, I revised for most of my other subjects that I didn't find too tricky in between my exams.
For revision techniques, I pretty much got a pad of paper went through the CGP books and wrote down everything in my own words that wasn't completely obvious to me. Even if I never looked at it again, the act of writing everything down was enough to get a lot of to stick, and if not I'd remember that I didn't remember that bit so I could learn it just before the exam (very last minute I know).
If you're finding it hard to work for extended periods of time, you can try 25 mins on, 5 mins off, 25 mins on, 5 mins and I could work for a good 2-3hrs like that. Also don't get too fixated on how to revise just do it!! Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great.
you must naturally be incredibly bright
Reply 8
Original post by Nilah
Quick Question: What's your revision routine for maths? I'm currently at a grade 7
i hate to be that guy, but i've always been good at maths since i was a kid.. maths was the subject i revised least for as it just comes naturally for me. but a friend who used to be bad just did lots of past papers and correct his work and learned how to do the questions he got wrong, and he got grade 9 too. also i go to a selective grammar school, so the teaching is prolly better than a typical school...

Quick Reply

Latest