The Student Room Group

Aqa Psyb3

Haven't seen many AQA B threads :o: ...anybody studying for this exam at the moment?

How are you guys finding the new spec? Most/least favourite areas? How is the revision going? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i don't like it as much as the AS spec :frown: although i love the child development unit :smile: i think cognition and law and forensic psychology (the other 2 units we are doing) are too similar and a lot of people in the exams may get confused between the 2 if they don't revise a lot!! what do you think of it?
Reply 2
ILOVECONNOR
i don't like it as much as the AS spec :frown: although i love the child development unit :smile: i think cognition and law and forensic psychology (the other 2 units we are doing) are too similar and a lot of people in the exams may get confused between the 2 if they don't revise a lot!! what do you think of it?

Yeah I thought the same about cognition and law and forensic psychology, I got really confused initially when I was looking through the textbook as to which one I was doing because of the overlap :o:

I'm with you, don't like the A2 stuff as much as AS. I'm particularly struggling with the Schizophrenia and Mood Disorders bit right now, keep forgetting the explanations and treatments, and then mixing them up between the two. So yeah that's got to be my least favourite lol, what about you?
Reply 3
Antifazian
Haven't seen many AQA B threads :o: ...anybody studying for this exam at the moment?

How are you guys finding the new spec? Most/least favourite areas? How is the revision going? :smile:

I am SO worried for this exam!!!!! AS was a breeze compared to this!!! :frown: I NEED an A this paper otherwise im risking my uni places!! :frown:
Were doing Child Development (social and cognitive), Forensic Psychology, Schizophrenia & Mood disorders!
The social child psychology is F***d up! i dont get any of it!?!? :frown: and cognitive has so much to remeber!! its all difficult because theres just SO MUCH to remeber :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 4
ibz91
I am SO worried for this exam!!!!! AS was a breeze compared to this!!! :frown: I NEED an A this paper otherwise im risking my uni places!! :frown:
Were doing Child Development (social and cognitive), Forensic Psychology, Schizophrenia & Mood disorders!
The social child psychology is F***d up! i dont get any of it!?!? :frown: and cognitive has so much to remeber!! its all difficult because theres just SO MUCH to remeber :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Argh I know what you mean about the Child Development bit, i'm now finding that topic the hardest to remember, in particular Piaget's stages of cognitive development, I get the features of each one mixed up lol.

I'm doing Child Development, Cognition and Law, and Schizophrenia and Mood Disorders...As definately does seem so easy now compared to this! How are you finding it apart from the child development bit?
Reply 5

i am stressing sooooo much i have done notes and only know forensic plus 12 mark essays are goign to be a killer can anyone expalin to me the cognitve explanation of schizophrenia???????????
Reply 6
The Cognitive Explanation for Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia may be due to faulty processing resulting in disturbed language, thought and perception.

Beck and rector (05) produced a cognitive theory of schizophrenia in which abnormalities at a neurological (brain) level cause cognitive difficulties in attention, communication and dealing with potentially overwhelming amounts of information that result from, for example, hallucinations. They claimed that schizophrenics have different perceptions and ways of interpreting mental experiences. For example they say that hearing voices is perceived as someone trying to talk to them instead of a more realistic persception, such as "I think I'm hearing voices".

Firth (92) proposed a deficit in the "Central Monitoring System" (CMS) underlies positive symptoms such as hallucinations and delusions.

CMS - responsible for labelling actions and thoughts as "being done by me" or as "mine" (this is why a faulty CMS would lead to schizophrenics believing that they are hearing voices in their head because they are not able to identify it as their own voice).

Firth has also found a problem with the articulatory loop (from the working memory model) in schizophrenics.

So in summary the cognitive explanation for schizophrenia suggests:

Schizophrenia is due to faulty processing which results in disturbed language, thought and perception.

Beck and rector claimed that schizophrenics may perceive their own imaginings as real.

Firth suggested that a problem with the CMS (central monitoring system) may be causing sufferers to attribute their own thoughts to something external.

Hope that helped :smile:
Reply 7
rhanks really cleared it up???

how is everyone feeling about the exam

i am really worried as their is alot to learn but so little time i jsut get bogged down with the immense amount of litte refernces you have to make to psyhcologists..its jsut too much....psych for the next three days whoooo..lol.....
what do you guys think will be the essay questions? (for schizophrenia&mood disorders/forensic psychology/cognitive development)
:smile:
Reply 9
hey guys wanted to ask what to do when sked question like

distinquish between unipoalr and biploar disorder. how to asnwer this question and get the marks...as i ahve been told not sufficent enigh to say whereas....

anyoe if anybody understands.
Reply 10
Antifazian

how your revesion going???? how do you feel about the exam....i am worried :frown:.....are you doing business on monday???? ythanks
Reply 11
Rosyred809
how your revesion going???? how do you feel about the exam....i am worried :frown:.....are you doing business on monday???? ythanks

Alright haven't been doing a lot recently as I did loads in the months running up to the exam, so just reading through the text book and answering questions my teacher has been setting in class. Not *too* worried about the exam, just hoping I don't forget anything! What about you?
I did my business exam last Monday, are you doing one this coming Monday?
Reply 12
We are doing Forensics (crime) child development and substance abuse. Just the same problem of remebering anything. Does anyone know if you lose marks if you forget a researchers name and just put "a researcher." cheers.
Reply 13
ashvale32
We are doing Forensics (crime) child development and substance abuse. Just the same problem of remebering anything. Does anyone know if you lose marks if you forget a researchers name and just put "a researcher." cheers.

You won't lose any marks for not including names, as long as you know the names of the main researchers in each topic. Just put something like "Research has shown that..." or "an experiment was carried-out" - The most important thing is that you know the aim, method and results of the research itself. :smile:
Reply 14
yeah i am doing the one coming up on monday...yh

it is very unlikely that they will ask you a question explicitly about a study as i presume they will make it more challenging...olus in essay just need drief methods....yh dont worry about forgetting i am sure it isnt a big deal as we all had the saem problem :smile:
I have this exam on Friday! Need to do lots of last minute cramming tomorrow I think... lol my teacher seems to think that there is going to be an essay question on treatments for schizophrenia.. no idea why she thinks this though lol.

I'm OK with all the theories its just learning all the evaluation points thats confusing me, I keep getting them mixed up. Really need to get an A on this paper :frown:
Reply 16
Our teacher has predicted something about the cognitive explanation for schizophrenia comming up (as it hasn't come up in 4 years or so). That, or, seasonal affective disorder :s-smilie:

Oh and as for the study - she said that knowing the name of a researcher isn't that important as long as you can describe what they did. She even said that if you made a study up because you panicked, chances are the examiner won't have time to look up the study and credit you with marks (she didn't advise purposefully doing it however!)
Reply 17
i am worried....i have done revesion but not confident just hoping the questions go my way :smile: good luck and my tip is:
when evsualtioning think
does it take into account biological factors???
was is the evidence base like???
What about applicable treatment???
i am so scared for the exam tomorrow.
i am doing social development, cognition and law and forensic psychology. im not toooo bothered about shorter questions, i just hope the 12 markers will be kind :frown: i don't understand the psychodynamic theory of offending :frown: especially the ao2s. my luck it will come up
Reply 19
I Am Scared !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending