The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think (but don’t quote me on this) Pharmacology and pharmaceutical science are the same (Involving types of medicines, biological effects of drugs and how drugs effect disease) and pharmacy is just a watered down version of this (possibly just how drugs effect disease) but I don’t know 100% for sure, I’m in the same boat as you, I’m looking to do something along those lines next year and this is just the impression I got from reading about the various courses. Also have you looked at Medicinal Chemistry courses, they look to be more weighted of the Chemical and Drug side of Pharmacology and not so much on the biological (although it looks as if the fundamentals are included)and diagnostic side, also more universities tend to offer Medicinal Chemistry to a higher level. But look about for yourself, especially at the combinations you can do and get the best of both worlds.
Reply 2
Thank you very much Stevo. Your help is important
I hope more answers...
Greetings
Steeeeevo
I think (but don’t quote me on this) Pharmacology and pharmaceutical science are the same (Involving types of medicines, biological effects of drugs and how drugs effect disease) and pharmacy is just a watered down version of this (possibly just how drugs effect disease) but I don’t know 100% for sure.

I would have said ...

Pharmacology ~ how drugs affect the body, how the body affects drugs, also pathophysiology of the disease states.

Pharmaceutical Science ~ more chemistry base, the chemistry of drugs, how they're designed, bonding sites etc

What do you mean that pharmacy is a watered down version of this? I don't quite understand you :smile:

scha ~ did you actually mean pharmaceutics or did you mean pharmaceutical chemistry as Steeeeevo thought? Pharmaceutics is the study of dosage, form and design of drugs (also known as formulation science) ... but I'm not sure you can do an actual degree in this? You would however do a lot of pharmaceutics as part of a pharmacy degree.
Reply 4
WOW, interesting, thank you Emmz, you answered my question pretty well. Now i know Pharmacology, Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, but, what is exactly Pharmacy?
Also, do you consider able to study Pharmacy and Biochemistry (for me one of the most complet careers) in Perú and after "jump" jeje, i mean travel may be to England (it sounds interesting, i think Cmabridge) or United States (Harvard may beee, but i know this is really difficult) or may be Switzerland (the ETH Zurich is pretty good)? I consider your answer really important because i don't know many things about it. But i am sure that i want to be a scientist, investigator. For example looking for a disease vaccine, in general doing research. Thank you very much, this is a really interesting web.
Greetings
Reply 5
-Emmz-

What do you mean that pharmacy is a watered down version of this? I don't quite understand you :smile:

What I meant was by the looks of it the pharmacy course is basically the pahramacology course but not as intense or speciallised (sorry but that might be a local phrase) that was just the imprssion that I got from reading prospectuses and websites. Also as i said in my reply, dont quote me on the descriptions of teh courses as I'm also just looking through courses at the moment, and what i wrote is just the impression i got from their descriptions, sorry I if I was totaly wrong, but i thought it would be better to say what i thought, than to say nothing at all.
scha
WOW, interesting, thank you Emmz, you answered my question pretty well. Now i know Pharmacology, Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, but, what is exactly Pharmacy?
Also, do you consider able to study Pharmacy and Biochemistry (for me one of the most complet careers) in Perú and after "jump" jeje, i mean travel may be to England (it sounds interesting, i think Cmabridge) or United States (Harvard may beee, but i know this is really difficult) or may be Switzerland (the ETH Zurich is pretty good)? I consider your answer really important because i don't know many things about it. But i am sure that i want to be a scientist, investigator. For example looking for a disease vaccine, in general doing research. Thank you very much, this is a really interesting web.
Greetings

Over in the UK you can't study pharmacy and biochemistry as a single degree. The pharmacy degree here is a masters degree (so it's four years) and it basically prepares you to be a pharmacist (whether that be working in community, hospital, industry, research etc).

I guess you could say the course has four main parts:
The social, clinical and professional side of being a pharmacist ~ basically law, ethics and practice (responding to symptoms etc)
Pharmacology
Formulation Science/Pharmaceutics
Medicinal Chemistry/Pharmaceutical Science

But then we also cover quite a lot of immunology and microbiology and also biochemistry, statistics, instrumental analysis etc

Steeeeevo ~ that's okay, just wondered exactly what you meant. I wouldn't say a pharmacy degree is a watered down pharmacology degree as there's more to it than pharmacology as you can see from above. I would be tempted to say the pharmacology we do isn't watered down compared to a pharmacology degree as we do study it pretty indepth ... just that most probably someone doing a pharmacology degree would cover a wider area.
Reply 7
I think Pharmacology is about the action of drugs, whereas Pharmacy is more about the making of drugs. Pharmacology would probably lead to research whereas Pharmcy leads to working in a Pharmacy I think! And Pharmacuetical thingy-a-bob dunno the name - I'm not sure cus I never looked at it but I'm guessing it's more to do with industry.

Hey I think it would be wise for you to change your thread title into something like: Difference - Pharmacol, Pharmacy, Pharmacueticals

Just so the people who're actually studying the thing and would know what they're talking about would come and reply! And the same question have been asked before why don't you check out old threads? I remember one thread two Pharmcy/Pharmacology students even described their courses etc.
Reply 8
-Emmz-

Steeeeevo ~ that's okay, just wondered exactly what you meant. I wouldn't say a pharmacy degree is a watered down pharmacology degree as there's more to it than pharmacology as you can see from above. I would be tempted to say the pharmacology we do isn't watered down compared to a pharmacology degree as we do study it pretty indepth ... just that most probably someone doing a pharmacology degree would cover a wider area.

Ahh Ok, thanks, some of these descriptions can be a bit confusing
Reply 9
I'm doing Pharmacology for my BA next year, so know a bit about it :wink: It's a lot about the mechanisms of action of drugs - their interactions with their receptors, receptor structure, kinetics of these reactions and how drugs are metabolised. It's quite biochemical really and you have to learn pathways etc that lead to their overall effects. It's more suitable if you want to go into research in drug actions/designs.

Pharmacy on the other hand, is a vocationally designed course, which as well as having elements of pharmacology is also about prescribing and advising patients - what drugs don't combine well, how certain patients react differently etc. This is what you do if you want to become a pharmacist.
Reply 10
Thank you very much for this information, now i know a little bit more than before jeje
Greetings
Reply 11
Helenia, i read your explanation, thank you very much. Also i¡d like to know who design the drugs, i'm not sure but i think they're pharmaceutics (I'm not sure about writing it), please, if you know about it post again, i'd be really thankful.
Greetings
Reply 12
scha
Helenia, i read your explanation, thank you very much. Also i¡d like to know who design the drugs, i'm not sure but i think they're pharmaceutics (I'm not sure about writing it), please, if you know about it post again, i'd be really thankful.
Greetings

Pharmacologists are involved in this, as are various chemists etc - there are several degrees that can lead to this.

Latest

Trending

Trending