The Student Room Group

C3: maximum and minimum values

I am really struggling with these types of questions where they ask you to work out what the maximum value of a trig function is and at what x-value it occurs etc.

Would anyone be able to explain the theory behind this so I can understand these ques and work them out properly?

Eg:

Sin3X= 3sinx - 4sin^3x

Determine the greatest posible value of:

9 sin(10/3a) - 12 sin^3(10/3a)

Apologies as i dont know how to use latex.
major-major-major
I am really struggling with these types of questions where they ask you to work out what the maximum value of a trig function is and at what x-value it occurs etc.

Would anyone be able to explain the theory behind this so I can understand these ques and work them out properly?

Eg:

Sin3X= 3sinx - 4sin^3x

Determine the greatest posible value of:

9 sin(10/3a) - 12 sin^3(10/3a)

Apologies as i dont know how to use latex.

If you mean the Rsin(xθ)R\sin(x- \theta) and Rcos(xθ)R\cos(x- \theta)

Then the maximum value or minimum value is just 1 x R of the function. It is derived from the original sinθ\sin \theta and cosθ\cos \theta graphs

EDIT: actually I've misread! For your example, it would be X=10/3X = 10/3, so hence you want the maximum value of 3sin(10/a1)3\sin(10/a^-1)

I would think the answer is 3 :erm:
.:excel4100%:.
If you mean the Rsin(xθ)R\sin(x- \theta) and Rcos(xθ)R\cos(x- \theta)

Then the maximum value or minimum value is just 1 x R of the function. It is derived from the original sinθ\sin \theta and cosθ\cos \theta graphs

So then how would you solve the equation above?
:o:
you first draw a sin/cos graph, and see where the first max/min occur....in a sin graph your first max occurs at 90degrees

so you do: x-Theta=90
x= 90+Theta for you max etc
The answer to the above question is 9. I have no idea how to do these questions. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 5
major-major-major
The answer to the above question is 9. I have no idea how to do these questions. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The answer would be 3. This is when sine of the angle is -1.

-9 - (-12) = 3.

When sine of the angle is 1, you get: 9 - 12 = -3

When sine of the angle is 0, you get: 0 - 0 = 0

Latest