The Student Room Group

living in london finance

hi,
i’ve applied to study at a university just outside of london that’s part of the University of London group.
i applied for student finance- they asked me whether i would be living and studying in/outside London and i said yes- they told me I could apply for the maximum maintenance loan which is about £6,500 for this year. I sent my application off and my loan has been approved at the maximum amount, but most of the accommodation for this university takes most of, if not all the money from my maintenance loan.
Should I have gotten more? The website said I could also apply for up to £13,000 but i didn’t think I’d get that.
I don’t really know what to do- I have some money from my great grandparents that can help towards it but I don’t want to use it all.
any advice would be great, thanks:smile:
So the maximum is just under £13000 for those studying in London (I assume the uni in question is RHUL since I can't think of any UoL unis that aren't directly in London itself vs Greater London) and pretty sure that counts as in London for SFE purposes, although you could confirm that with them) whose household income falls below the minimum threshold. If your household income is higher than you will get a lower amount in total (although still more than someone with the same household income studying outside of London).

Note that the way the household income vs maintenance loan is calculated is that they expect your household (normally your parent(s) if a school leaver) to effectively "make up the difference" between the minimum and maximum loan amounts. This is probably something you will need to discuss with your family if your household income is above that threshold and you don't qualify for the higher means tested loan amounts.

If you should qualify for the higher loan amounts, then check to make sure your parent(s) have completed the information they need to send to SFE. If they have, then what's likely is that you've been initially assessed for the minimum and then they will continue assessing you for the higher means tested amounts. This is to ensure everyone has something in place at the start of the academic year (better everyone have the minimum and some people have the remainder added on a few weeks later, than some people end up without anything coming in until after they start!).
Original post by artful_lounger
So the maximum is just under £13000 for those studying in London (I assume the uni in question is RHUL since I can't think of any UoL unis that aren't directly in London itself vs Greater London) and pretty sure that counts as in London for SFE purposes, although you could confirm that with them) whose household income falls below the minimum threshold. If your household income is higher than you will get a lower amount in total (although still more than someone with the same household income studying outside of London).
Note that the way the household income vs maintenance loan is calculated is that they expect your household (normally your parent(s) if a school leaver) to effectively "make up the difference" between the minimum and maximum loan amounts. This is probably something you will need to discuss with your family if your household income is above that threshold and you don't qualify for the higher means tested loan amounts.
If you should qualify for the higher loan amounts, then check to make sure your parent(s) have completed the information they need to send to SFE. If they have, then what's likely is that you've been initially assessed for the minimum and then they will continue assessing you for the higher means tested amounts. This is to ensure everyone has something in place at the start of the academic year (better everyone have the minimum and some people have the remainder added on a few weeks later, than some people end up without anything coming in until after they start!).

going to try this when i reapply, thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending