The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have not donated and I will not donate. The country was a **** hole to start with. And yes I'm been brutally honest and not dressing it up in some elaborate excuse.
Reply 181
SpiritedAway
I think you need to get a life for pushing people against their beliefs :yep:. If it is something I strongly believe in, then why not? It is better than helping a hopeless case for a country where every time a natural disaster happens, they expect everyone else to bail them out instead of raising the funds to help themselves out.

Its not a hopeless case if people survived the earthquake. These people are in a desperate case. They aint dogs where we just put them down if they are dying.

They are asking for help and not a bail out. They aint banks they are people.
*Natalie*
Its not a hopeless case if people survived the earthquake. These people are in a desperate case. They aint dogs where we just put them down if they are dying.

They are asking for help and not a bail out. They aint banks they are people.

And they still need a bail out because their own country can't help them alone....
TheLouisVuittonDon
Like some Weight Watcher products?

no, i dont so stupid fad diets ^_^

treadmill
newcastle top
tattoos
various nights out

^^ all of those :biggrin:
No - because I'm tight. And it doesn't have any effect on me, my family, or anyone else I actually care about.

Few people die a few thousand miles from home because the planet had a hissy fit...not my problem.
The country was a wreck BEFORE the earthquake hit and also I don't have much empathy and it goes against my morals.
SpiritedAway
No, because we have never met these people before. Just like if the man in the apartment below me got murdered, it would evoke no response other than "oh" because I have never met him.

So you give money to save dogs you have never met? Consistent logic fail.
Varciani

1) I don't like how its chucked in our faces as though we HAVE to pay.
2) They play the sympathy card in the appeals.
3) They wouldn't help us if we needed help.
4) I simply don't care.

1. It's not though really is it? Asking someone and coercing them is a rather different story.
2. Errrr, what do you expect? It's a charity appeal. The whole point is to increase the empathy so people who normally wouldn't feel like donating will donate something.
3. Because they are one of the poorest countries in the world and we are one of the richest perhaps? This argument is so stupid...how do you even know?
4. Good for you. Your "cool" I-don't-give-a-**** attitude will really open doors for you.
Reply 188
Yes I have, twice actually. Once via the DEC website and then last night via text message to UNICEF earthquake childrens appeal.
Liquidus Zeromus
No, give me a good reason why I should make an exception. The only benefit to me would be "feel-good" factor. And I already feel good.
Exhibit A: The economics student.
SpiritedAway
No. I am going to be brutally honest and say I don't care. And as heartless as I may seem, I expect 90% of people on here to feel the same. I have never been to Haiti before (openly and honestly I have never even heard of Haiti before now), I have no connection with the people, I don't know anyone from Haiti and just like everyone else on here, I will continue with my own life whether there was a natural disaster there or not, and to be quite frank, I don't earn enough to be giving my money to every natural disaster that appears, and giving my money won't make me happier with myself, but it will mean that I might go hungry one day, or have even less money to pay for my tuition fees.

(I do give to charity, I give often to Dogs Trust, because it is something I care about)

Come on now, you may not want to give, think Haiti is a **** hole that won't ever recover and so think it is pointless, or as someone else said they want to save for an ipod touch. I may not agree but fair enough its their money. But don't give some over dramatic crap that you will go hungry for a day if you donate a fiver or tenner. On that argument i would say get some perspective and at least have the conviction to stand by your decision without giving over the top justifications which are essentially a lie.
Reply 191
tinktinktinkerbell
no, i dont so stupid fad diets ^_^

treadmill
newcastle top
tattoos
various nights out

^^ all of those :biggrin:

Seriously? Those all count as important things you're saving up for? I thought you meant food and stuff. Nights out, don't need. Tattoos, you'd be better off without. Newcastle top, awesome purchase but not exactly necessary immediately. Treadmill, pointless. Just walk places, rather than spending money on something stupid like that.
d123
Seriously? Those all count as important things you're saving up for? I thought you meant food and stuff. Nights out, don't need. Tattoos, you'd be better off without. Newcastle top, awesome purchase but not exactly necessary immediately. Treadmill, pointless. Just walk places, rather than spending money on something stupid like that.

yes
Yep partly because I care and partly because I have a large enough overdraft (thanks natwest)
No, I haven't. **** Haiti. I don't care and I'm not going to pretend to care.
Reply 195
Nuada
Not yet. I've put £20 quid in an envelope and marked in to remind me to donate it in a month's time. At the moment there's a lot of money moving into the place, but after the initial wave of pity and media hype has worn off, that is when the aid funds will start drying up so that it when I'm going to donate :smile:

Im sure ur £20 will shine in a couple on months, u will probably get a thank you card.
why would i donate. All the donations from the UK wont be anywhere close to what we raise for children in need. Say we get £20million, what will that do, nothing. At my school its costing them 20million to rebuild it. So all in all after the disaster if they want they can build a nice school, THATS IT. No amount of money except trillions would take haiti to back how it once was.
Reply 197
No. Because I'm not sure how much of it will reach the victims.

I'd gladly give some money directly to some small local NGOs who know the country, speak the language, and can actually make it happen in the field but I'm not happy about giving money to huge hoplessly inefficient and bureaucratic organizations like the Red Cross.
Reply 198
jimmylovestoshimmy
why would i donate. All the donations from the UK wont be anywhere close to what we raise for children in need. Say we get £20million, what will that do, nothing. At my school its costing them 20million to rebuild it. So all in all after the disaster if they want they can build a nice school, THATS IT. No amount of money except trillions would take haiti to back how it once was.

This kind of sums that up:

I don't think they need trillions!
Reply 199
jimmylovestoshimmy

I think trillions may be an overstimate. Haiti was a dump before anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending