The Student Room Group

Unit 7 Btec Applied science

How many marks do you think you got for this exam. Also what did you guys put from questions 1-3 as I didn't get to finish question 4 and 5 as they are mainly for people aiming for distinction and I only need a NP.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Idk I tried for all but so worried. Like I need a min of NP to pass the course. Already got DDD and therefore in uni. Praying I’ve passed. I’m not very good at writing essay styled answers. It’s 8 marks to get the NP and hopefully that’s achievable.
Reply 2
yh so long as you did well in the first 3 questions your fine cus q4 and q5 are really for people pushing for distinction. I smashed question 1-3 so I should be good. Do you remember what you did for q3?
Original post by Zacw28
Idk I tried for all but so worried. Like I need a min of NP to pass the course. Already got DDD and therefore in uni. Praying I’ve passed. I’m not very good at writing essay styled answers. It’s 8 marks to get the NP and hopefully that’s achievable.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sami_992
yh so long as you did well in the first 3 questions your fine cus q4 and q5 are really for people pushing for distinction. I smashed question 1-3 so I should be good. Do you remember what you did for q3?

Sorry been so long had to make a new account. For weeks had sleepless nights cos of this unit. q1 I wrote mostly about money and ethical issues as it was unborn babies being used can be controversial. Can’t remember what else. Q2 u wrote about people and their impact on science as they can encourage others to redo the experiment or research into Stem cells. Also unis haev that impact I said and the WHO, encourages large nations to start stem cell research. Q3 was so hard for me, I wrote about the article was newer so the facts stated are up to state and more reliable. Q4 I said about more money to do to an area of the research as it was promising. Q5 I wrote my article with facts and impalications and how it can help us to the youth. Sorry it’s so brief hope this will get me my diploma.

I’ve read people got mocks or were allowed to have google to research facts or further research but we weren’t allowed and we didn’t get mocks. So worried for this unit

What did others you’ve spoken to think? My friends thought I was also hard. What did u write if u can remember?
Reply 5
Original post by ZacharyWalsh28
Sorry been so long had to make a new account. For weeks had sleepless nights cos of this unit. q1 I wrote mostly about money and ethical issues as it was unborn babies being used can be controversial. Can’t remember what else. Q2 u wrote about people and their impact on science as they can encourage others to redo the experiment or research into Stem cells. Also unis haev that impact I said and the WHO, encourages large nations to start stem cell research. Q3 was so hard for me, I wrote about the article was newer so the facts stated are up to state and more reliable. Q4 I said about more money to do to an area of the research as it was promising. Q5 I wrote my article with facts and impalications and how it can help us to the youth. Sorry it’s so brief hope this will get me my diploma.

I’ve read people got mocks or were allowed to have google to research facts or further research but we weren’t allowed and we didn’t get mocks. So worried for this unit

Bro dw I was the same I didn't have any mocks. Did you mention the environmental for q1 and also did you link them by saying the cures will increase life expectancy which will take up more land and will be more costly for the economy. For q3 did you talk about the bias in the other 2 articles which shows why article 3 is more valid as it didn't have that bias, target audience, the cancer part and also did you reference one of the things to analyse and talk about. Theres loads of things and for q2 did you mention bhf who wrote the first one and mike maradi who wrote the second one where the bhf asked for donations and mike maradi for article 2 was bias as he is invested in a stem cell company so they affected it by only showing the main positives of stem cells and asked for donations.
(edited 1 year ago)
Bro dw I was the same I didn't have any mocks. Did you mention the environmental for q1 and also did you link them by saying the cures will increase life expectancy which will take up more land and will be more costly for the economy. For q3 did you talk about the bias in the other 2 articles which shows why article 3 is more valid as it didn't have that bias, target audience, the cancer part and also did you reference one of the things to analyse and talk about. Theres loads of things and for q2 did you mention bhf who wrote the first one and mike maradi who wrote the second one where the bhf asked for donations and mike maradi for article 2 was bias as he is invested in a stem cell company so they affected it by only showing the main positives of stem cells and asked for donations.

I did mention how the foundation heavily relied on donations for research as that hkw it was funded and not funded by the government. I think I briefly mentioned about how it can be used to cure disease such as cancers and reammend limbs. q3 was my worst I think I didn’t write about bias (that I can remember). Do u think I have the chance for a NP? This is stressing me out
I did mention how the foundation heavily relied on donations for research as that hkw it was funded and not funded by the government. I think I briefly mentioned about how it can be used to cure disease such as cancers and reammend limbs. q3 was my worst I think I didn’t write about bias (that I can remember). Do u think I have the chance for a NP? This is stressing me out

Sorry that was for q1 an economic implication as research can hault without donations. But to stop this, sponsers / investments from large companies is required

Rereading this and for Q2 I wrote about world health. They are a world body which have the government funds to research new tech and treatment. I also wrote about unis mentioning they r high in standard of teaching and research. Have the facilities to do so. The professors that work there I mentioned knew their craft and had specilised in this field. (Brief)

Q3 again I can’t remember talking about bias of it and it’s target audience. I did talk about how the article is from 2018 so the facts are closely up to date which make it reliable for the reader. Dunno if I referenced anything how would I have done that??????

Q1 I can’t remember if I did environmental I couldn’t think of any but I did do ethical, about using embryos and how religions can disagree , economical for how expensive the research is and that large companies are giving billions for this or governments and then linked that to however some companies rely souly on donations.
How many marks do you think you got for this exam. Also what did you guys put from questions 1-3 as I didn't get to finish question 4 and 5 as they are mainly for people aiming for distinction and I only need a NP.

I did do Q4 I wrote about extra funding for more research can be in place for certain areas as quoting from an article it has promising outcomes. Can’t rmebebrr what else.

For q5 it was write ur own article for teens or youth. I did it with facts from the articles stating it’s good for the world but also some negatives however gaeb my opinion that it was worth diving into to see where medicine can take us. Just how u think I’ve done? It’s killing me hahaha
Sorry for the spam lol. For Q3 I remember mentioning about the testing done. Saying a small sample sized was conducted, larger groups and repeating should be done. Moreover other companies should produce their results. Increased reliability of stem cell. Is this good towards Q3?
Reply 11

its a very rewarding exam so most likely as it's only 8 marks.
Reply 12
Rereading this and for Q2 I wrote about world health. They are a world body which have the government funds to research new tech and treatment. I also wrote about unis mentioning they r high in standard of teaching and research. Have the facilities to do so. The professors that work there I mentioned knew their craft and had specilised in this field. (Brief)

Q3 again I can’t remember talking about bias of it and it’s target audience. I did talk about how the article is from 2018 so the facts are closely up to date which make it reliable for the reader. Dunno if I referenced anything how would I have done that??????

Q1 I can’t remember if I did environmental I couldn’t think of any but I did do ethical, about using embryos and how religions can disagree , economical for how expensive the research is and that large companies are giving billions for this or governments and then linked that to however some companies rely souly on donations.

Yeah the fact that the WHO approves multiple cures for the issue and also the fact that the investment from companies is helping find more ethically approved cures from a social stand point.

You had to reference some of the info. There were numbers next to the information which were reference numbers so you had to pick one and say why this is a valid judgment and talk about what the reference shows. I spoke about the one with ips cells producing insulin which only showed the validity of the articles judgements as the information had been references by other scientists.

You had to attempt environmental for even 3 marks I think. it was bhf who asked for donations so that was another impact socially as they are showing all of the good things about stems cells which only means more people drawn in and more donations as they said something like 'never been a better time to donate' which will draw in donators socially.
Reply 13
That's something you would say for q4 it has nothing to do with q3, but they may still award you marks.
Sorry for the spam lol. For Q3 I remember mentioning about the testing done. Saying a small sample sized was conducted, larger groups and repeating should be done. Moreover other companies should produce their results. Increased reliability of stem cell. Is this good towards Q3?
That's something you would say for q4 it has nothing to do with q3, but they may still award you marks.

Dear lord I feel ****ed haha. Maybe it was Q4 I can’t remember. So hard to predict what you could get as it’s subjective marking.
Reply 15
Bro so long as you spoke and linked all ethical points in q1 your calm. So long as you said for q2 different organisations and how they affect the issue such as investing in new and more ethical procedures and organisations such as bhf asking for donations so they are bias in the article to draw in donators. For q3 you just had to mention the bias, target audience, the fact that multiple scientists have referenced the information, used a reference and spoken about and talked about a judgment that was made by analysing it such as the cancer one and saying it shows more development needs to be done and also it shows the validity/ reliability and non bias nature in their judgments as they spoke about the pros and cons. Also a date such as 2014 for a reference as this shows reliability and validity as it is not from too long ago so the data is reliable and can be used for scientists doing research into stem cells. So long as you said those you should be ok for a NP.
Dear lord I feel ****ed haha. Maybe it was Q4 I can’t remember. So hard to predict what you could get as it’s subjective marking.
Reply 16

for q3 what did you say for analysis of judgments being made.
for q3 what did you say for analysis of judgments being made.

Can’t remember at all. I really struggled answering that Question. I just remember saying that new article meaning up to date facts for the reader. Other things I can’t remember but reading from u I don’t think I’ve done it right .
Reply 18
Can’t remember at all. I really struggled answering that Question. I just remember saying that new article meaning up to date facts for the reader. Other things I can’t remember but reading from u I don’t think I’ve done it right .

What do you think you did wrong for the first 3 questions?
What do you think you did wrong for the first 3 questions?

For Q1, probs the variation of implications but I don’t think I added any positive implications. Q2, idk just feels repetitive as this uni, or professor, then there was the odd different one like the WHO. Q3 idk now lol just don’t feel it. Q4 wrote about extra funding as a main point but idk how to feel. Q5 was the writing and I added lots of facts to the article and implications to show what else can happen and my opinion on the subject of stem cells.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending