Scroll to see replies

doing a fundraising for it
Mr Sparkles
why not??

Why should I?
Reply 202
initiation
Why should I?

:dontknow: I haven't donated to Haiti and I don't intend to. I don't really give a crap about them to be honest. I just wanted to see where everyone else stood.
Reply 203
I donated. I can understand people not donating because they'd rather give money to another cause, or because they're not sure if charities are able to make a huge difference, but some of the attitudes in this thread are incredibly depressing. You don't care? Well done for being honest, I suppose, but it's sad how some people are apparently incapable of empathy...
Reply 204
Yes
Studentus-anonymous
Voted no because I haven't donated.

I don't often feel the need to buy morality boosters and when I do I prefer to donate to disease research charities, Cancer Research UK and the sort.

Also I feel international aid is part of the problem as to why the third world remains under-developed. Not the entire problem and it is handy in sudden disasters like this but mostly its one of the causes.

For a bit of fun I am going to take the role of the pihlosophical academic.

Explain why exactly it is wrong that we live in relative financial comfort (I use the word relative strongly, we have a bit more money but people don't sleep rough for the giggles) while some parts of the world are financially poorer?

And if you can establish why it is a good thing for everyone to be wealthy (and assuming that is even remotely possible under any economic/financial system) please explain why it is our responsibility to provide that wealth and should we pay off capital that our respective countries have developed over centuries to prop up other under-developed nations?

In fact this is open to everyone, lets make this thread a bit more intellectually stimulating rather than the mindless charity drive circle-jerk back-patting.

Agreed regarding aid dependency. I know a reasonable amount regarding aid money that has been spent in the past few decades in SE Asia and Africa on sanitation development and most of it was wasted through corruption, "latrinisation" (just building new technology when people had expressed no real desire for it) and people here have become dependent on this aid and it is disempowering. I understand that other areas of development have the same issues but do not know the details. Frankly the US throwing money at Haiti over the years is not going to solve the deep-rooted problems there. HOWEVER as you have rightly said aid in a natural disaster is absolutely essential and anyone who thinks it is a waste is foolish. It's rather aid spent on social reform and general development which needs to be questioned and carefully managed.

Just saying this in case there are people not donating simply based on this reason.
I gave a couple of pounds, I'd have liked to have given more but it's all I can afford.
bysshe
I donated. I can understand people not donating because they'd rather give money to another cause, or because they're not sure if charities are able to make a huge difference, but some of the attitudes in this thread are incredibly depressing. You don't care? Well done for being honest, I suppose, but it's sad how some people are apparently incapable of empathy...

Yep. It seems logical enough not to care, as in the world is inherently unfair and so why should I do something for the losers? But it is so cold-hearted and detached from human empathy. Perhaps people do die all the time but not in one go, your whole country flattened before your eyes.
I think not giving a **** about this can only come from people who haven't suffered nor really had trauma touch them.

Also, the argument that people in other countries don't really give a **** and simply donate a tenner to assuage their guilt really pisses me off. Of course they're not going to be as emotionally involved as Haitians themselves and it might not be something they lose sleep over but providing an offer of kindness, even if it's a relatively small amount, does not make them hypocrites.
when I beome great I will donate to charity.
Reply 209
What is this accident? I was away with some friends all last week smoking the ganja and completely unaware of what has been going on around me- so if anyone explains why I shoud part with £20 instead of buying another draw then please feel free. picking up at 8 tonight so....
Reply 210
I haven't and I doubt I will. I do feel sympathy for everyone who has lost family, homes or their lives; as selfish as it sounds, our country is up **** creak without a paddle, I don't know where but I read somewhere that we are £600 billion in debt as a country but on the 16th of January we had already sent out £12 million to Haiti, what's going to have when we reach trillions of debt in 2014 as someone earlier pointed out, do you think a richer country is going to bail us out? I just think we need to sort out our financial status before we start throwing money about. I do feel for those in Haiti though, don't get me wrong.
Reply 211
Toaster Leavings
Yep. It seems logical enough not to care, as in the world is inherently unfair and so why should I do something for the losers? But it is so cold-hearted and detached from human empathy. Perhaps people do die all the time but not in one go, your whole country flattened before your eyes.
I think not giving a **** about this can only come from people who haven't suffered nor really had trauma touch them.

Also, the argument that people in other countries don't really give a **** and simply donate a tenner to assuage their guilt really pisses me off. Of course they're not going to be as emotionally involved as Haitians themselves and it might not be something they lose sleep over but providing an offer of kindness, even if it's a relatively small amount, does not make them hypocrites.

Yes, I agree with everything you've said. And to be honest, even if someone does donate a tenner only out of guilt, I think that's preferable to the mindless, defiant "I don't give a damn, why should I?" attitude that a few people have shown here...

AmyFran
I haven't and I doubt I will. I do feel sympathy for everyone who has lost family, homes or their lives; as selfish as it sounds, our country is up **** creak without a paddle, I don't know where but I read somewhere that we are £600 billion in debt as a country but on the 16th of January we had already sent out £12 million to Haiti, what's going to have when we reach trillions of debt in 2014 as someone earlier pointed out, do you think a richer country is going to bail us out? I just think we need to sort out our financial status before we start throwing money about. I do feel for those in Haiti though, don't get me wrong.

But in terms of immediate suffering, surely Britain isn't remotely comparable to Haiti? No one's denying that we're in bad state financially, but individual people being generous and donating £50 to help another country is hardly a negative thing. I find the idea of our country always being the priority hard to understand.
Reply 212
bysshe
Yes, I agree with everything you've said. And to be honest, even if someone does donate a tenner only out of guilt, I think that's preferable to the mindless, defiant "I don't give a damn, why should I?" attitude that a few people have shown here...

But in terms of immediate suffering, surely Britain isn't remotely comparable to Haiti? No one's denying that we're in bad state financially, but individual people being generous and donating £50 to help another country is hardly a negative thing. I find the idea of our country always being the priority hard to understand.

but that's the point we're not, and I'm not saying the out state is at all comparable to Haiti as it would be ignorant to do so, but selfish as it is, on some occasions you have to look out for number one.
Reply 213
AmyFran
but that's the point we're not, and I'm not saying the out state is at all comparable to Haiti as it would be ignorant to do so, but selfish as it is, on some occasions you have to look out for number one.

Okay, you could argue against the British government giving loads of money to Haiti, if that's your view, but what's the problem with an individual donating money? It's hardly holding back the progress of our own country if someone donates £50 to Haiti.
Reply 214
No, because, all in all **** happens...
MY individual donation wouldn't make a big difference.. But yet to me a tenner = 4 Drinks at the weekend.
AmyFran

I think what should be more in question is general aid money sent out by the British government to developing countries, which you are probably unlikely to be aware about. This can be very wasteful, even counter-productive, as I have explained in a previous post. But money sent out directly for restructuring and rescue following a natural disaster is completely necessary and I find it fundamentally abhorrent that people on here (not you specifically) lack the empathy to care about a nation flattened by an earthquake.

Perhaps aid money sent to Haiti for social development could have been better managed or arguably not sent at all if corruption is so rife that it cannot reach the people. But that does not mean that right now, due to a large-scale disaster out of their control, we should let them all die. It doesn't bear thinking about.
jismith1989
Exhibit A: The economics student.

This isn't about someone's course. I don't believe I fit into that stereotype. :rolleyes: Oh yes, sure I was only being selfish. :teehee: That doesn't represent my whole view though, I like making controversial comments :yes:

Really, I don't feel particularly obliged to donate, especially since my government is supposed to be doing something about it anyway. Giving a bit of money to Haiti won't mean anything. Oh yeah, human lives are in danger oh my God! That isn't of any consolation. I have no reason and no obligation towards Haiti or its people. As for exceptions, Haiti would indeed not count as one. I prefer to donate strategically and not out of emotional appeal. Emergency donations won't change anything, why bother?

On principle, I think it fair to donate to charity on a rational basis... to hack away at long-term problems.
Liquidus Zeromus
On principle, I think it fair to donate to charity on a rational basis... to hack away at long-term problems.
Aren't you over-estimating your ability to adjudge such a large-scale problem somewhat though? What if your judgements are wrong?
Reply 218
No because I would have no proof of where the money is actually going. If there was proof, I would.
jismith1989
Aren't you over-estimating your ability to adjudge such a large-scale problem somewhat though? What if your judgements are wrong?

No, my judgement is good enough. I consider what is and isn't important when I have enough money to be generous.
Cancer research for example, good long-term cause to donate to... however I would generally like to know where the money is being spent. As-yet incurable and cruel diseases are definitely a scourge. I am cautious about donating to the third world or indeed most random poor people.
The national trust, too, something which protects heritage and history... yet you get something in return for being a member, unlimited access to most of its properties.
I do consider heritage and history very important :yes:

Besides, what about yourself? You're ready to piss on what I do, time for you to say how you're so much better.

Latest

Trending

Trending