The Student Room Group

Religious Studies or History?

Hi, Im deciding my a-levels and im unsure to take religious studies or history.

at gsce, i got in my mocks:

History: B (close to an A mark)
Religious education: A* (96% in mock)

which should i take at A level, i think i can get an A* or A but with history a B..

have they got equal reputation- im not going to get a history related job though, and i prefer RE...
Reply 1
history, if you can hack it.

edit: didn't read properly.. if you prefer RE, do RE. simple as that.
Reply 2
I would say go for history. History is never a subject that you choose just because you want to do something history-related as your chosen career. It's a traditional subject and I think it's more respected. History is difficult but it is one of the most respected subjects at degree level. Many politicians, lawyers and civil servants have degrees in history so an A-Level in it wouldn't be a miss. I've always thought that RS is a bit of a "floury" topic - I'm making a total assumption here but I doubt anyone cares about RS.
Reply 3
I think you should probably go for RE. They're equally respected because they're both traditional essay subjects etc. And especially if you prefer RE.

Oh, that took a lot. History :love:
Reply 4
I enjoyed both at GCSE, but chose to do History for A Level. It's very interesting and I'd really recommend taking it, but if you prefer RE then maybe you should go with that. I wouldn't base the decision purely on your mock results though - I know I found RE easier and did better in it in mocks (as I don't revise for those :wink:), but did better in History in the real thing.
Reply 5
Religious Studies.
It's applicable to today's society.
History..well that's not!
Reply 6
i got an A for re at Gcse, i enjoyed it and thought it would be a lot easier for me to study then somehting else like maths or history, but i hated it. all we stdied was art and new religious movements whereas i though it would be more religious based ie looking at muslim culture christian values etc. in the end i got a D which was so bad and did not continue with it in the second year. just make sure u consider very well, but having studied re at AS i would probaly choose history if i had to choose again.
Reply 7
I do rs at a level (philosophy and ethics), and its interesting but my teachers are quite poor. I would prefer having done history.
Reply 8
JiangYu
I would say go for history. History is never a subject that you choose just because you want to do something history-related as your chosen career. It's a traditional subject and I think it's more respected. History is difficult but it is one of the most respected subjects at degree level. Many politicians, lawyers and civil servants have degrees in history so an A-Level in it wouldn't be a miss. I've always thought that RS is a bit of a "floury" topic - I'm making a total assumption here but I doubt anyone cares about RS.

Erm...what?
Elaborate
Reply 9
I did both at alevel but enjoyed RS much more, I guess the main thing would be to check what modules you'll be studying to avoid a problem like what digger10 had. I got an A* at GCSE for RS and at Alevel I got an A (before A*s were introduced) Great subject and loved studying it, if you want to know anything else, just ask!! Good luck making your choice :smile:
Reply 10
ok thanks

If i want to work as a banker.. would history be better :s-smilie:?
RVS2009
ok thanks

If i want to work as a banker.. would history be better :s-smilie:?

It depends I suppose. I think they'd value both of the subjects equally.

But at the end of the day, you should pick what YOU want to do, because you're going to be spending the next two years studying it.
Reply 12
history if you want to do a decent a level subject
Reply 13
history if you want to do a decent a level subject

Actually, RE is a decent A level and valued by Universities. I plan on doing both History and RE at A level as both are interesting

xx
Reply 14
I got an A in both at GCSE
I despise RE at AS level though.
I love history.
I've done both for AS and am currently doing them for A2. Personally I prefer RS, but thats mainly because I find RS essays a lot easier, especially at A2. I'm finding A2 history confusing and I don't particularly like the coursework topic my school has chosen.
Reply 16
RVS2009
Hi, Im deciding my a-levels and im unsure to take religious studies or history.

at gsce, i got in my mocks:

History: B (close to an A mark)
Religious education: A* (96% in mock)

which should i take at A level, i think i can get an A* or A but with history a B..

have they got equal reputation- im not going to get a history related job though, and i prefer RE...

Reading your post, I'd pick R.E definitely.

Latest