The Student Room Group

How dangerous is London? Going by UK show Adulthood...

Scroll to see replies

*sigh*
Ayostunner
mmmn ...i wonder how the nigerian parents would react to this info :cool:

lol they'd take it from me and used it to punish me. haha.

But it was really for self-defense.
zeke53in
Most gangs in London are based on territory (postcode) and usually a specific estate (housing project). They're mostly made up of mixture of races from that area (some areas obviously may have a large population of one race)

That's interesting that the gangs are territorial in the UK. In the States, it would be difficult for a member of one ethnic group to join the gang of another ethnic group. It happens but it's very rare.

So an estate is a housing project? Funny, if you say you live in an estate in the States, people will think you're wealthy.
LosNelski90
If you're from the States, then the gang violence here is nothing compared to the likes of the Brotherhood, Crips/Bloods, Mexican Cartels etc etc...
However, some areas can get pretty tasty at night so here's the ones you need to avoid if you hope to still have your wallet and phone at the end of a hard day at uni...

1. South London: CROYDON/BRIXTON/ROTHERHITHE
2. West London: HAYES END/WHITE CITY/WEMBLEY
3. East London: HACKNEY/ILFORD/MILE END/ BOW
4. North London: TOTTENHAM/EDMONTON/BARNET

Lol you forgot Harlesden

And Barnet? Barnet's one of the nicest places to me!
Reply 184
Turn off your TV and go and find out yourself.

But I can tell you from my experience, that is isnt that bad, if at all. I spend most my summers in London and I've hung out in the roughest areas at night and nothing happened. Yes, there are fights and the odd killing, but it's nowhere near as bad as its made out to be in sensationalised docus.
BoxesAndBangles
I understand what the OP is saying, I don't know why people are taking offence? I may be wrong, OP, but I think you're saying that in America many gangs group themselves on ethnicity i.e. "we are the mexican gang", "we're the white gang", "we're the black gang" (alright I'm sure they don't say it like that.. but you know what I mean).

So you're asking, do British gangs also group themselves according to ethnicity or can anyone join as long as they belong to the same social status/aims (or any other variable)?

Which isn't a racist thing to say at all, and yes I see people trying to act superior because you're American. Some people don't even know they're doing it - it's kind of inbuilt and I used to be a bit like that until I realised it looks pretty transparent and there's no need for it. It's the same way some Americans make joke about British smiles, or think they have everything in America so they'd never have to leave - it's lame.

I wouldn't say that gangs here base themselves off race but some do. Glasgow has some Pakistani gangs who are territorial over "their" areas - for example someone I know recently bought a shop in a part of Glasgow that was mostly Asian shops and he was chased out by some Pakistani boys who came in with swords at night threatening him to leave. He did. Another white guy took over and was also 'persuaded' to sell up this time to an Asian shop owner.

I'm sure there are other gangs who do the same racial attacks in other parts of the countries, white, Asian whatever.

Certain parts of cities are more inhabited by certain ethnicities and Kidulthood was about an area in which there was a higher percentage of black people than in other parts of the country or city - so naturally they were represented in this movie, but their colour was not a cause, reason or requisite for gang membership.

Amazing post! Thank You. After nine pages I finally received what I was looking for the entire time! Thank you again.

I apologize to anyone who took offense to what they perceived were racially insensitive comments. I should've worded my post a lot better but I was just curious as to A the make up of the gangs and B the dangerous places in London.
Reply 186
This is funny London is not bad. you just have to be smart. I have lived in London nearly all my life nothing bad has happened to me. I have also lived in cambridge and portsmouth. cambridge is dangerous and portsmouth I was nearly mugged if i didn't run.

I cant remember where kidulthood is based but it was clearly based in a black area. There are many white ghetto areas just look at chingford or essex. there are many asian ghetto areas as well just look at illford or slough.
One half is the rich side, the other half is shyt-hole-land.

Sounds a lot like the major cities in the States.
Reply 188
Bubbles*de*Milo
Yeah, avoid the whole of Croydon, it's not exactly big or anything... :rolleyes:

And Mile End is fine ffs, and Bow... seriously someone needs to do their homework.

I'm sitting in Mile End right now.

Croydon isn't bad I should know I live slap bang in the centre of it.
LOL ok, wait does this person know what they're talking about?

White City dangerous...... really? Wembley has its' gangs and rough parts but on the whole again not dangerous as well, when do you ever hear about crimes' in Wembley? crime in West London is probably the least reported on anyway out of any area in London, West is like the least crime ridden area in all of the city

Also, Mile End IS in bow and it has a fairly bad reputation (like Hackney) but it's clearly overstated and exaggerated, just stay safe and don't go looking for trouble or go to an inappropriate place at a wrong time looking like you don't know what you're doing, just be streetsmart and conscious of yourself and people around you

And I live in Ilford so i know the area, I laughed when i saw Ilford on that list, pleeeeease it's probably the SAFEST area in east London? we got barely any serious crime around here, Ilford is seriously nothing... like any area it has its' wanna be gangsters and dodgy guys but nothing more, no real gangs
Reply 190
TimeDivided09

If I were to ever visit London, what are some places that I should I just totally avoid?

Places like Brixton, Hackney, Walthamstow, Peckham, around that sort of area.

TBH with areas like around Walthamstow, i.e. more north than south London, the crimes tend to be theft, mugging etc, rather than stabbings, shootings.

On the whole though, London isn't TOO dangerous.
Reply 191
London is fine. So long as you have common sense you'll be alright.
kcustom
London is fine. So long as you have common sense you'll be alright.

I think this goes for any major city. I was just curious to know which parts to avoid acting like a total buffoon.
If you ever mentioned neeky **** like watching Adulthood on road, man is gonna get jooked you get me.
Watch Kidulthood, it was better.
Oh and including Barnet is a joke.
Reply 195
The roughest areas of London off the top of my head:
1. Camberwell
2. Kidbrooke
3. Somerstown
4. Poplar
5. Tottenham.
6. Deptford
7. Stepney
8. Graham Park
9. Stonebridge Park
10. Woolwich
11. Dalston
None of these areas are exactly San Salvador, Lagos, Baghdad. But to be honest unless you have the cash I would not go to University in London. Its all right when you live in halls near/on the college. But otherwise you will be living in a crappy terrace house with damp in somewhere like Hackney, East Ham, Wood Green or some ex council flat on a rough estate. And of course you will have to fork out for a travelcard every week. Plus if you live south of the river hardly any places are on the tube.
Reply 196
Adam G Manning
Avoid everywhere in London.
You will get stabbed

I'm being stabbed right now.

LOOL!
I;ve live in east london and it;s no where near dangerous, get a life srsly.
LosNelski90
If you're from the States, then the gang violence here is nothing compared to the likes of the Brotherhood, Crips/Bloods, Mexican Cartels etc etc...
However, some areas can get pretty tasty at night so here's the ones you need to avoid if you hope to still have your wallet and phone at the end of a hard day at uni...

1. South London: CROYDON/BRIXTON/ROTHERHITHE
2. West London: HAYES END/WHITE CITY/WEMBLEY
3. East London: HACKNEY/ILFORD/MILE END/ BOW
4. North London: TOTTENHAM/EDMONTON/BARNET

:giggle:

also the way you typed them in capitals to make them seem :afraid: is :rofl:
Reply 199
JamesF87
But to be honest unless you have the cash I would not go to University in London. Its alright if when you live in halls near the campus. But otherwise you will be living in a crappy terrace house with damp in somewhere like Hackney, East Ham, Wood Green or some ex council flat on a rough estate. And of course you will have to fork out for a travelcard every week. Plus if you live south of the river hardly any places are on the tube.

I thought all student houses were damp? You can find places to live near the campus of most of the colleges.

The advantage of London is there is a lot more to do than just what's going on in your university campus. Some (not all) university towns are pretty boring other than the uni, although you do get a bigger and cheaper house. Depends what your looking for I guess.

Oh and in London the people who live near the campus hate everyone not just the students, so makes you feel less singled out :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending