The Student Room Group

How dangerous is London? Going by UK show Adulthood...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
zedbrar
I was reading through the list...think possibly. Then i read Barnet? Barnet is one of the nicest places i have ever been to. Never ever had problems there.

I live in enfield and i'll agree its worse than barnet, yet i don't think enfield/ edmonton belongs on that list, so Barnet definitely doesn't belong on that list.

yeah i kind of get the impression enfield people tend to leech of the reputation of edmonton alot although i have heard of some psychos from there.

Krow
Exactly Barnet is really nice, Edmonton isn't bad its just because Tottenham is near it really and Enfield is nice too I've lived in both Enfield and Edmonton.

Edmonton? I stayed at someones house there a couple of months back right by edmonton green and the whole night there were sirens going off and i swear at one point i heard something that sounded like a gun (could have been anything though i suppose.) but still, i have heard nothing but bad stuff about Edmonton and i dont mean all the small incidents that the media blow out of proportion.

One guy I know who lives there said he had been mugged SIX TIMES?!?!?! maad, and he isnt some little nerd either he is pretty hefty.
Ive heard stories about schools being steamed and stuff. Though i dont doubt it is a touch on tottenham.

still though ill agree with you about barnet. They have that one half crappy estate, dollis valley estate i think, and some the kids there make out its a hood or something.
London is a fairly safe place taking its size into account. So if you were to come over and acted sensibly enough, you would be fine.
I live in Southall, West London when I'm not at university. The area has a bit of a rough reputation and you can constantly hear the police sirens wailing, but in the time that I've lived there no harm's come to me. Sure, in the past two years some guy who was abusing his wife got hacked to pieces by her a little up over the road , there was a pathetic car bomb at 4am and three police cars and a helicopter ambushed the house of the dodgy fellow opposite us, but that didn't directly affect any of us.
From what I've been told, the issue with gangs, it seems, is linked to post codes i.e. where you live as opposed to your ethnicity. Around here, they only target other gang members who are trespassing on their turf. Drugs and car thefts are the biggest problems there.
There are also ethnic gangs such as the Afghans, the Somalis, the Jamaicans, the Asians, the Pikeys and so forth who have these little wars over issues like drugs, etc. In terms of the local (by local I mean gangs from Hayes, Hounslow, Acton, Greenford and Wembley) black gangs, the stupidest thing I've heard happened in nearby Greenford where a young boy and girl has a tiff, so he stole her chihuahua. She then told some people who were gang members to go and beat him up and they proceeded to do so till he died. And then the thing escalated from there.
But I digress. I was never aware of this underground conflict and these gangs though present never showed themselves blatantly. That might be because the police are always around, but it's safe. If you just go about your business, you'll be fine.
Reply 202
mad m05
Yes Croydon is the biggest borough in London. It has the largest population. and you and Adam G don't know diddly squat about London evidently seeing as 4 million people live in outer London compared to 3 million people in inner London. And I I know bare people in inner London that come to Croydon seeing as people from places like Peckham, Lewisham Deptford all come to Croydon to shop. Croydon is more reprentative of REAL London than Kensington will ever be. Don't make me laugh at your ends as well. Type in n19 into wikipedia and I see some 3 line page about ****** Upper Holloway. Real talk apart from the sights which I have seen countless times there is little to do in Central London that I can't do in Croydon

Oxford Street, Regent Street, Tower of London, Madame Tussauds, London Eye, St Paul's, British Museum, Nation History Museum, Science Museum, London Dungeons, St Pancras International, Hampstead Heath, The Angel, those are just a few places off the top of my head in Inner/Northern London that people come from all over the world to see/do, and that are just generally what London is about. There may be a lot to do in Croydon, but there is also a lot to do in any other city. That does not make Croydon London any more than Manchester. It's just technically part of it. It's not the heart of it.

Who the **** said anything about Kensington? I don't know Kensington... wtf is in Kensington?! Im talking about the whole of Inner London being "REAL London" more than bloody Croydon. When people think of London, they do not think of Croydon, just accept it and get over it. I'm sure Croydon is great. But it's hardly the centre of all that is London. Come on now.

All you seem to say in support of Croydon is that lots of people live there... so? And that it's got great shopping... so have like Brent Cross and Bluewater etc, who cares?! No-one's saying they're in London! London is not just shopping, is it?!

Also, what exactly is wrong with Upper Holloway? You don't have a point.

Croydon is just one of those areas that used to be a suburbian populated area of its own and got swallowed up into London in the last 50-100 years. Don't even pretend it's got any part in the essence of London.
az1992
yeah i kind of get the impression enfield people tend to leech of the reputation of edmonton alot although i have heard of some psychos from there.

Edmonton? I stayed at someones house there a couple of months back right by edmonton green and the whole night there were sirens going off and i swear at one point i heard something that sounded like a gun (could have been anything though i suppose.) but still, i have heard nothing but bad stuff about Edmonton and i dont mean all the small incidents that the media blow out of proportion.

One guy I know who lives there said he had been mugged SIX TIMES?!?!?! maad, and he isnt some little nerd either he is pretty hefty.
Ive heard stories about schools being steamed and stuff. Though i dont doubt it is a touch on tottenham.

still though ill agree with you about barnet. They have that one half crappy estate, dollis valley estate i think, and some the kids there make out its a hood or something.

Are you sure you weren't staying next to the police station? If your near a police station you will often hear police sirens but that police station supports quite a large area to be honest. A lot of those calls for the police might come from the far north of enfield where there is no police station.
Reply 204
zedbrar
Are you sure you weren't staying next to the police station? If your near a police station you will often hear police sirens but that police station supports quite a large area to be honest. A lot of those calls for the police might come from the far north of enfield where there is no police station.

No i been edmonton police station before and I while I dont know exactly where it is, Im sure that i wasn't anywhere near it.
Reply 205
TimeDivided09
That's interesting that the gangs are territorial in the UK. In the States, it would be difficult for a member of one ethnic group to join the gang of another ethnic group. It happens but it's very rare.

So an estate is a housing project? Funny, if you say you live in an estate in the States, people will think you're wealthy.

Sorry I misunderstood your intial comments, I get it now.

Yeah, I think the history of the US means that people are more likely to stick to their own ethnic groups. The nature of immigration there is different to here.

But yeah, here it is largely very mixed, for example in my area you have everyone, white, black, asian indian, asian chinese, turkish, greek, jewish, arab, literally all over the place, so you tend to get everyone mixed together and gangs (if any) are territorial. Post codes are definitely a big deal lol.

But yeah, economically, there is a large racial divide in general, leading to some areas heavily populated by one or other ethnic group, and schools as well.

And yep, a Private Estate is posh here too, but Estate is very much not lol.

In general though, housing as well is very mixed. In my area, there are notoriously dodgy Estates literally right opposite very nice, expensive, middle-class houses. My house is a standard terraced house, but the house next door is social housing.

This means that while a lot of kids in the area are well-off, well-educated, etc, they know about the "real world", and are very liberal the vast majority of the time.

No-one in my area, or most of Inner London actually, really gets the idea of racism at all, it just seems silly.
Reply 206
Mrvn

At the end of the day, no, it's like America's Brooklyn/Baltimore on one side of the river, but on the other side its full of people that come from Mary Land that are daddies little boys/girls. See, London is split in two. One half is the rich side, the other half is shyt-hole-land.

Um, definitely not true. There are some POSH areas in North London, I'm not gonna lie, but there's also some **** ones. And in my area for example, like Tufnell Park/Holloway, there's tons of knife crime etc - people get stabbed/shot on my actual road... but my house is pretty nice, we're qutie well-off. We got mugged by a girl with a knife on my friend's road, where the houses are worth £1million. My friend also got mugged by a crackhead on the ame road.

It's totally mixed in most areas of North London. Apart from like Hampstead, St John's Wood, Highgate, Central West/North West in general lol.
Reply 207
rubyjane
Um, definitely not true. There are some POSH areas in North London, I'm not gonna lie, but there's also some **** ones. And in my area for example, like Tufnell Park/Holloway, there's tons of knife crime etc - people get stabbed/shot on my actual road... but my house is pretty nice, we're qutie well-off. We got mugged by a girl with a knife on my friend's road, where the houses are worth £1million. My friend also got mugged by a crackhead on the ame road.

It's totally mixed in most areas of North London. Apart from like Hampstead, St John's Wood, Highgate, Central West/North West in general lol.

Ruby I know what you're saying I lived in Carleton Road for a year which is near Tufnell Park. The thing about Islington is that there is no other borough like it. It seems people either live on a rough estate like Market Road Estate, North End Estate, Barnsbury Estate, Highbury Estate, Harvist Estate, Marquis Estate, Andover Estate, York Way Estate. Or they are upper middle class professionals in white stucco Georgian terrace houses in Canonbury Square, College Cross, Richmond Avenue (where Tony Blair lived until 1997).
In a borough like Newham there are no posh areas that I can think of. Its all 1900s terrace houses in East Ham or its 50s/60s grey council estates like Poplar. But what alot of people don't understand is that massive estates like North Peckham, Stonebridge Park, Holly Street etc have been pulled down and rebuilt.
In Islington the good streets are right next to the rough ones. Whereas in say Haringey the best areas are in the west part like Crouch End, Muswell Hill and the crappy ones are in the east like South Tottenham, North Tottenham, Northumberland Park.
also the way you typed them in capitals to make them seem is

Danke Schon! :pirate:
Reply 209
i went to london and scottland after graduating highschool with a friend and we went out just about every night and never got into any fights or anything (even made a few friends) i live just outside la, visit friends in oakland, and been to new orleans a couple of times its pretty much the same everywhere if you look for trouble then you will find trouble.
my favorite place in london would have to be trafalgar square and would love to go back.
Just stay away from areas like Hackney, Peckham, Brixton, Stockwell, Tower hamlets, Tottenham, Edmonton green and you will be fine.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Most of it is fine in the daytime, as long as you don't stare at people/there are no riots going on, and a lot of it's perfectly safe any time of day :u:

Aye!
Original post by TimeDivided09
Just watched a show called Adulthood and I was shocked at how violent some punks are in the UK. They also looked ethnic too. Where are some of your immigrants from? Here in the States our gangs are largely Mexican, African American and Asian. It just looked strange to me that London could be so dangerous in certain sectors. I hope it was just exaggerated for TV.

If I were to ever visit London, what are some places that I should I just totally avoid?

They will have of course just kept the most "exciting" things for the show. In the UK, criminals tend to be much more compliant with the police than in the US.

However, some areas are very deprived and should be avoided. These include Tower Hamlets, Brixton, parts of Camden and Islington.

Also, Westminster, while generally a fairly affluent area, makes it a target for mugging.

Gun crime is very low, 9/10 firearms incidents reveal to be imitation guns, so regular police officers do not carry sidearms (although the number of armed officers is increasing frequently). Our firearms officers are much more highly trained and efficient than your police officers in the states, compare them closer to SWAT, responding to specific weapons-related incidents as well as regular patrol.

Carjackings are extremely rare in comparison with the US. Nationwide ANPR makes vehicle crime more of a "pro's" game. Again, our Traffic officers are more efficient and highly trained than yours :P Sometimes that means we let people get away, rather than risk killing innocent civilians by ramming them off the road onto pavements and oncoming traffic, as seems more favoured in the states.

London is perfectly safe for tourists, just don't be stupid. It's no different than LA really, except much tamer - you fine in Hollywood and Santa Monica, just don't go wandering through the backstreets of Compton on your own at night.

You're perfectly fine in Mayfair, Soho, Canary Wharf, just don't go wandering through Tower Hamlets or Edmonton on your own at night.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by az1992

Yeah I used to live just off Southbury road, mate of mine still lives there. He was mugged on his own doorstep at 13, and last year he found a beretta handgun in the back garden that someone had ditched or stashed.
wait.. are you serious? I went to school in Ladbroke Grove where Adulthood was filmed and right next to St. Charles Sixth Form where Noel Clarke (writer of Kidulthood/Adulthood) went. Yes, there are crimes there but its not a bad area? London is rare in that in the majority of boroughs wealthy people and people who aren't as well off live roads, if not doors away from each other. Peckham, Brixton and a few other places in South London have quite a notorious past for crime but are 2 of the most up and coming areas in London? Similar to Shoreditch and Hackney. Wandering around Edmonton at night is probably a silly idea, but as for Soho it is probably the area where most crimes happen, because of its central location, clubs etc. It's a hotspot for muggings, theft, tourist scams and drunken and disorderly behaviour. As for Canary Wharf, of course its safe? its patrolled by police officers all the time and is the business district of the capital. Its only really busy in the week (because of people working) and is more or less a ghost town on the weekends. I currently go to sixth form in camden and live not too far in Hampstead and have never been mugged or anything of the sort. With a place like London, I don't think you can break it down into good/bad areas, streets. Its not that black and white, obviously Mayfair is one of the wealthiest parts of London but has its fair share of street robbery and store theft. Anyway, London is unlike any other part of the UK in its diversity in people and their cultures and to say that London is dangerous because of 'blacks' or 'other ethnic groups' is a joke. Crime happens all over London and you cant pin it simply to a race.
Original post by TimeDivided09
They also looked ethnic too. Where are some of your immigrants from? ?

Caribbean Islands are the ones you would be describing, 2% of the population and 15% of the prison population. Essentially Africans, same as the ones causing the problems in the states for all intents and purposes.

The only demographic giving them a run for their money are the 'Asians', their stats are slightly worse or better depending on how you look at it. They would be akin to your Mexican demographics and come mainly from the middle East. Pakistan and the like.
Original post by NickLCFC.
Some parts of London are very dangerous especially because of all the blacks and other ethnics, most of whom are criminals

Wrong
As a Londoner of 21 years, London is probably the safest capital city in the world.

Sure, I've felt a bit scared at some points, but not irrational fear.
I've been stabbed 37 times and that's just over the weekend. I've had more phones that you've had hot dinners because I keep getting mugged at gun point (knives aren't scary anymore). I could list the crimes I've been victim of for hours but in short I'd recommend giving London a wide birth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yooo, don’t go south ends uno

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending