The Student Room Group

Vietnamization: reasons for failure?

For an OCR A2 investigations coursework thing, I need to write about the most important reason for why Nixons policy of Vietnamization was a failure.

Initially the question asked whether it was a success or failure, but my teacher told me to narrow it down and assume that the policy was a failure, on the basis that it would be hard to write a balanced arguament for the success side.

I'm struggling to think up many reasons for why it would have led to a failure, I basically have:

- South Vietnamese weaknesses/corruption/dependence on US.
- North Vietnamese strength. (Derives from the first point really)
- Dominantly Democratic Congress / Domestic complaints to war.
Not enough really to have a proper argument.

Are there any knowledgable people on Vietnam here who would have other reasons for the failure of the policy? Any good source reccomendations on the net would be appreciated too cause the essay needs some source analysis in and I cannot find many apart from those criticising the South Vietnamese. Cheers :smile:
Reply 1
Tom J
For an OCR A2 investigations coursework thing, I need to write about the most important reason for why Nixons policy of Vietnamization was a failure.

Initially the question asked whether it was a success or failure, but my teacher told me to narrow it down and assume that the policy was a failure, on the basis that it would be hard to write a balanced arguament for the success side.

I'm struggling to think up many reasons for why it would have led to a failure, I basically have:

- South Vietnamese weaknesses/corruption/dependence on US.
- North Vietnamese strength. (Derives from the first point really)
- Dominantly Democratic Congress / Domestic complaints to war.
Not enough really to have a proper argument.

Are there any knowledgable people on Vietnam here who would have other reasons for the failure of the policy? Any good source reccomendations on the net would be appreciated too cause the essay needs some source analysis in and I cannot find many apart from those criticising the South Vietnamese. Cheers :smile:

Technically Vietnamization was a success, although it depends on how you define it. The standard definition is "a US government policy of transferring the tasks of fighting and directing the war to the government and forces of South Vietnam"; without a doubt this succeeded as US forces were succesfully removed from Vietnam, and the fighting was taken over by the South Vietnamese, albeit with massive US financial aid.
Think about it as a failure because the US had not done the minimum needed to help the SVA defend itself.
Well immediate failures include....
- The US had failed to drive out the communists.
- The US failed to impose a 'democracy' - Nixon Doctrine?
- Overestimation of the ability of the ARVN to match up against the Vietcong and NVA. Example of them gaining power in Cambodia and Laos...
- Watergate scandal
- The removal of US troops failed the SVA because it needed more training and leadership; probably general morale and supplies as well.
An interesting quote by Henry Kissinger - It was showing some reluctance to the US's attempt...or not really attempt to bring democracy, failing.
Henry Kissinger
And while we cannot bring a communist government to power, if, as a result of historical evolution it should happen over a period of time, if we can live with a communist government in China, we ought to be able to accept it in Indochina.

Latest

Trending

Trending