The Student Room Group

Failed year 3 medicine osce

I failed my OSCE exam in year 3 and need to resit the year. I'm feeling significantly down and see myself as a failure. I passed my theory exam though.
Does anyone have any tips?
Sorry to hear, but I’m glad you’ve been given the chance to repeat the year. Allow yourself some time to process and feel, and then have an honest post-mortem about the year / the exam, and definitely get some feedback about the OSCE. There’s absolutely no reason to feel like a failure - these things happen to more people than care to admit it, and most of them go on to pass and graduate (me included - I failed a resit and had to repeat - I’m now a paeds reg and will shortly be a consultant).

- Think about where you went wrong - was it your general communication, your ability to recognise clinical signs, your clinical knowledge of possible diagnoses, or the way you present yourself and your findings? Knowing which but you struggle with means that you can work on those aspects this year. You have a year to fox whatever went wrong, and that’s very doable if you’re motivated and take proactive steps to know what went wrong and to correct it. And it’s a year extra clinical experience and learning - which is always a positive thing. New departments with new contacts to make and different clinical experience to gain. I met people and consultants in my repeat rotations that were actually instrumental in Somme of my subsequent career decisions and paths. Best of luck to you.
Reply 2
Hello! Fellow year 3 medic here!I got rejected twice when applying to medical school, (I am a graduate )did a few entry exams to go abroad and didn’t do well in those too. I felt like a failure dot soo long. But now, looking back those things done matter than much.The thing about failure is it teaches you to be resilient, It teaches that if you truly want something you HAVE to persevere . It teaches you that the world is tough and you have to bring out your toughest hat and put it on each day.In 10 years time - you’ll look at this repeat year and it won’t mean anything to you.It means very little in the grand scheme of things.It’s okay and normal to feel down about it. Take some time. Take a break. Reflect . Allow yourself to be sad.Then come back strongerFeel free to DM me if in need of a chat .
Original post by Anonymous
I failed my OSCE exam in year 3 and need to resit the year. I'm feeling significantly down and see myself as a failure. I passed my theory exam though.
Does anyone have any tips?

Did you pass the OSCE this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending